Deep Shade II

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/725218/

This is the continuation of our discussion of the challenge of successful gardening in deep shade. If you have questions or answers on this topic, this is a great place to be!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Weerobin: I like both your epimedium wushanense and the thalictrum (no id). Let me know if you ever id it!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm trying to decide, should I plant Heuchera behind hosta, or visa versa? Or maybe mix them throughout? I'm going to look up and label the mature height and width on each one to help decide. Any thoughts? They will be at the front of my bed.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I like them mixed but have all mine arround a tree. I have a hosta strip garden and will put some coral bells in with them. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

Very nice, dragonfly! Love the birdhouse, too!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

There's a wide range of size of hosta, and to a lesser extent, heuchera. And both can take a long time to reach mature size. So my answer is "it depends!" I'm faced with the same question right now on a new bed I am (slowly) putting in.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Goodness, and then we also have to consider color!! Dragonfly, I also like your bird house. What is that tree with the giant leaves?

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Where is the tree in the pics that you are talking about Storm?

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Not the evergreen.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I think I see what you think you see! I am standing on the porch. To the left is a soft maple limb hanging down and it looks like it is on the hybred poplar on the other side of the drive. Is that what it is?? I will give you a closer look at the HP at this time there was another spruce there too. The poplar is on the left. Bev

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

It was the closeup of the maple. beautiful pink shrub there!!!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Since hostas vary from 10 inches or less to 3 feet or more it really does depend on the hosta. Heucheras are more low growing and I think do better towards the front of the border.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Doss. Maybe the delicate texture of the heuchera Leaves vs those of the Hosta also make the Heuchera better if placed in front. I Guess the mini hostas might do well to be mixed in with the Heuchera.

Doss the picture of your lovely shade garden stays in my mind. What is that pretty green and white plant along the top of your wall?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

That is hosta Golden Tiara if it's what I think you mean. I would buy Grand Tiara though because Golden Tiara has a reputation for carrying the virus HVX. It multiplies rapidly so you can make a border in not too many years. These started out as six plants. It's one of the easiest hostas to grow - not that there are hard hostas, just that these multiply rapidly.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thank you, I thought it was a hosta, but it seemed to be laying down almost hanging.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

That is a red ornimental crab tree that is in the pic. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

That could be the creeping jenny that you saw. It does hang down over the edge of the wall. It will be happy in full sun to mostly shade. In some places it can get a little greedy and take over so you have to keep after it.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Wow is that tree stunning. I've never seen a crabapple tree that color!

I agree, it's gorgeous! Any idea what the name of it is?

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

That is in full bloom. Here it is just when it started.

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Sorry don't know the name.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Doss, No it was the hosta. I think that you should repost that photo to this new thread. It will be an inspiration for those new to the thread.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

OK here it is:

Thumbnail by doss
New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

Doss, that's stunning as usual. What is the variegated plant in front of the ligularia? Is that also ligularia - the leaves look similar?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

The variegated plant in front of the ligularia is farfugium 'Argentea'. It's really a beautiful plant.

New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

So it is a ligularia? It looks like it's not hardy in my zone though :-(

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Farfugium and ligularia used to be the same family (or whatever) but several years ago they broke them down into two groups. Farfugium need less water and are evergreen here whereas the ligularias droop without a lot of water and are definitely deciduous.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Georgeous as always doss. I see my faves the ligularias. Dragonfly I love all your photos also. Nice. Stormyla... My dragons tail is doing great. I really like this little plant. Im glad I got it. The colors just shine don't they? Ronna

Doss, do you give tours of your gardens? Sheesh, and I just left no. CA a couple weeks ago!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Yep, you should have dropped by! We could have tea in the gazebo. :-)

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Doss. Not wanting to seem piggy, but could you also please add the shot where the Ligularia is blooming? It makes such a statement.

Maybe next year? I lived in your area for a short time--Sunnyvale. Loved it there!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Dragonfly, I'm totally jealous of your trees!!!!! Did you plant them? How old are they?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Sure, see you next year!

Cool, thanks!

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

The trees are about 15 years old. A nieghbor gave them to me. Her son worked for a landscaper and they were going to throw them away because they were not perfect so look how pretty!! lucky me. BEV
Here is a yoshino cherry tree

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

Gee, I'd love to have such "not perfect" trees! Boy, they were dummies, huh? Good for you!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

We are such a throw away society!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

It is so true. Oh just throw it away... how is the dragons tail doing??? Mine is great. It got a nother new leaf and the color is so golden!! I even see there are a few new flowers coming on. I really like this little plant I kinda wish I wouldve planted it in a different place... :{. So I could see it better. Very nice little plant looks very happy. Ronna

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Ronna, I haven't received it yet. Right now I'm buried under a pile of Heucheras, literally.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.