Is it ok to grow in compost?

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

( I should say they seem much taller, but 6" isn't all that much more)

Marshfield, MO(Zone 6a)

We planted in early May, if I remember correctly. With all of the excessive rain/flooding here in the midwest, I really haven't had to water this year, so can't answer that question.

The only thing that happened was with the tomatoes. I had a nice bunch up and getting ready to fruit, and because of the excessive water, they developed a bad case of fungus. I treated with bordeaux mixture and totally fried the plants, so had to rip them out and start over completely, so our tomatoes are rather small compared to everything else. I have now learned that I have to keep the tomatoes sprayed with Daconil, once a week, and more often if it rains as the rain washes it away. I try to stay as organic as possible, but will use non-organic means if I have to in order to save the garden.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

When you have a bad back, or problems with your knees, that 6" can make a world of difference.

Mary, I am impressed beyond words!!! I have had limited success with both compost gardening (too rich) and the 3 Sister's Method of planting. I'm glad to see it working so well for you. Looks like it's worth another try for me.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Sequee, that's my reasoning - I do have a bad back; not all the time, but when it goes...and I'm alone, it's really problematic, so I've tried to make modifications/preparations in case of a severe episode.

Rain doesn't happen here in the summer. If I didn't have irrigation water, I'd probably not even have the vegetable garden; most of my perennials can exist with limited water, though they haven't had to very often.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I Hosted a Green Gardens Club at an Adult Day Care Program for 3 years, and purchased waist-high beds that the wheel chairs could roll up to. It was great seeing everyone working the dirt. Funny thing, I had people with walkers who insisted on getting down to the real raised beds to work. It was H*** getting them back up, but the smiles on their faces was worth the effort. Sure makes one appreciate their health...and their hobby!

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Nothing like something that reduces your ability to wake one up to things taken for granted. Last summer my back went out - it was bad - at one point I was stuck on the floor for hours. I'm much more prepared now.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

We are such a blessed society that we tend to take EVERYTHING for granted. Working a the ADC brought to my attention how much I have, and how blessed I have in my life. I try to use it as a wake-up call, and draw on the experience whenever I'm having one of those "Woe is me" times. Gardening, in any form, sure helps. Even when things don't go as well as we'd hoped, the sense one gets from watching something grow is awesome. It never ceases to amaze me, when I am eating a meal that is totally plucked from garden...all this from a few small seeds!!! WOW!

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

I get that same awed feeling - amazing to watch things grow. I can't imagine not being able to garden.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Me, either. I mentioned on another thread that I bought a water-front condo in Ft. Walton Beach years ago, as an investment and retirement home. HA! Once I took up gardening, I knew I'd never be happy in a second floor condo!

Thumbnail by Sequee
Fountain, FL(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the updated photo's Mary.
Your beds look great.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.