Satsuma Trees Never Bloomed

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

I have some Satsuma Mandarin Orange trees which were planted almost 3 years ago now. Their exact names are Unshiu Seto & Unshiu Kimbrough. They have TONS of foliage and have YET to set one bloom much less fruit! They are planted in the ground and in full sun most of the day, getting plenty of water.

I have a Meyer's lemon and another orange tree (was also labelled Meyer's lemon but turned out to be some kind of tangerine or small orange) in large pots on the patio and they both get lots of blooms and fruit every year, and less water or sun than the others.

New Iberia, LA

How much do you fertilize? When large, healthy plants fail to set fruit it can be caused by excessive nitrogen.
Other than that, I can not think of anything else that would cause this problem.
Oldude

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

overwatering can make them lose their flowers too. citrus don't like wet feet. at three years old, it should be established enough to get by without supplemental watering except during prolonged drought.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I'm betting on to much fertilizer. The tree will grow like crazy but won't fruit if you over do it. It's like grapes. Grape need to suffer to get a good crop. Take to good of care of a grape vine and you end up with a large happy vine and maybe no fruit at all.

Lay off the water. They should be old enough to make it on their own. If you don't get rain for a couple of weeks give them a good drink but other than that let them fend for themselves.

Lay off the fertilizer for this year. In your case I wouldn't give them anything for a year and see what happens. You should have fruit right now. Flowers should have been long ago.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Thank you all for the advice. I may have overfertilized last year (when you add in the grass fertilizer which may have also gotten on it). I will also cut down on watering, since except for some Elephant Ears nearby, it's really not necessary.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.