Torch lilies

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I love these torch lilies -

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Bay Village, OH

Aren't they pretty!

Check out my funky "twin bud" (in the middle)

Heh.

This message was edited Jun 21, 2008 10:58 AM

Thumbnail by QuoiMerrie
Bay Village, OH

dangit...wrong pic.

Thumbnail by QuoiMerrie
McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I planted these last year, and was very disappointed with the blooms then. The flowers were about 12 inches high. This year, they have grown and are about 24 inches - much nicer. I am hoping that they will be even taller next year. Interestingly, some of them are yellow and some are orange. I thought that they were all the same when I planted them.

I couldn't find a good landscape picture of the garden with them. I'll have to take some more pictures tomorrow.

Thumbnail by pennefeather

QuoiMerrie- interesting twin bud. Never seen that before. pretty cool.

Here's my 'Lola' from this year, the giant kind. I unfortunatly got the pic taken after the bloom peaked but still. 2 years ago they were about a foot taller.

Thumbnail by
west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

nicely done, all of ya'll!
=)

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

The twins blooms are mating woman - lol

I have some solid yellow mixed in with the orange mix. The all yellow is stunning. I would love to have all yellow clumps.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

another view

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Bay Village, OH

I like that shot pennefeather. I alway enjoy seeing pics of how different gardeners use groupings!

This message was edited Jun 22, 2008 1:52 PM

This message was edited Jun 22, 2008 1:52 PM

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Here is a wider view of the knifophia. They are on a slope, just above my roses. I just deadheaded most of the blooms from the roses.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

This picture is pulled back a little further so that you can see the bee balm behind and to the left, as well as the red lilies behind to the right. There is also a large patch of stella d'oros in the front. This it the slope in front of my house.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I like that purple bee balm - if you have any to trade this fall let me know. I don't have purple

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Your kniphofia all looks so pretty. Here's mine with some lavender about to bloom.

Thumbnail by pgt
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I have a nice clump of yellow-blooming kniphofias.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

The yellow patch is beautiful. I have a few mixed in with mine but I would love a single patch of yellow. If you ever want to trade them let me know first..................
k

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

I love Kniphofia, and I have....ahem....a few. LOL! This is yesterday.

Thumbnail by McGlory
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Beautiful picture.

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

I see them in large masses in my area. I love them too and really have to get some. Can I collect seeds or do they have rhizomes?

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

I have some planted on the slope of my pond. Last year was the first year for them...they weren't very nice. This year the 2nd...they are outstanding. I haven't seen the yellow before. Where did you purchase them.

Deb

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

McGlory, that is one glorious patch of pokers!!
Deb, I'm not sure where I got my yellow ones, but I think it was Fairweather Gardens.

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

My favourite flowers! I've already bought 4 since I came home to the UK - I couldn't grow them in Maine. Great to see everyone's photos.
Sue

Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

Ooohh! You guys are making me jealous! I miss my kniphofia! We moved a year ago this past may and had to leave behind my beautiful gardens. Someone had given me my very first Kniphofia and I absolutely loved it. Am now starting from scratch as our new 2 acres is a clean slate. We already have a good start with lots of new trees and shrubs, but it's the smaller perennial plants that I don't have a lot of yet. Worst of all, we live in GA where the drought is horrible. Most of the trees and shrubs are still in their pots located on the side of our house where it's sunny until about 1 p.m. then starts to get shaded. It helps to keep the pots from drying out. I also repotted everything with good soil and Watersorb crystals, then topped all the pots with a 1" layer of mulch. We can only water for 25 minutes at a time only on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays. So having all my trees and shrubs concentrated in one area has been really helpful in keeping everything alive. I can't wait to plant everything in the fall though.

Unfortunately, the Butterfly garden I started last year is looking pitiful, but I'm doing the best I can. I have two rain barrels, but they don't help if it doesn't rain!

Thumbnail by frausnow
Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

I live in perpetual drought. So I am wondering why you don't plant and water them once in the ground? I think pots dry out faster than plants in ground.

Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

I planted some of these this year. Should I get flowers the first year? I have never grown kniphofia before, any advice for getting them to bloom for me?

Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

cactuspatch,
We have a large piece of property and where I want to plant some of the trees and shrubs I can't reach with a hose. Right now with watering restrictions limited to just 25 minutes, I don't have the time to get to every corner of my yard. As far as the pots drying out, it's also why I replanted everything and used Watersorb crystals and top mulched everything.

JoAnn

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Thanks for that explanation. I do find that pots dry very quickly, but then I use the Miracle Gro with the added crystals and haven't added them myself. I mulch my roses heavily in the ground too.

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

dpoit, mine didn't bloom the first year that I recall. But I started with little tiny plants, and just focused on making them comfortable by making sure they had water and mulch.

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

I got mine from Bluestone Perennial...and they did not bloom the first year, but were beautiful this year. Now I just need to get some of the yellow ones.

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

Beautiful pictures everyone! Mine are just now starting to peek through. I planted these later in the season last year so I haven't seen them bloom yet. Almost there!

Thumbnail by art_n_garden
Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

I got mine from Bluestone Perennials as well. They are quite small this year so I guess I'll be looking forward to the blooms next year then! Thanks for letting me know.

Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

They bloomed this year!! And they are spreading like CRAZY!! Such an unusual bloom, I just love them.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I've really gotten into the Torch lilies, Got a few new ones this year, and my Lola Torch lily has a late bloom on it, I'm looking forward to.

Here's a big clump of them

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

How pretty!! Nice size clump.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I just took pictures of mine today, so I am delighted to see this thread revised. Only one of these bloomed last year . I planted them last spring, and they were never taller than 18 inches. This year, they have all bloomed.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Here's a better view. I have two more locations that haven't begun to bloom yet.

Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

You're making me want to shop!! I am thinking of thinning mine out so I can spread them around my other gardens. Now I want to go out and play. My house is such a mess starting late March through late October. I must do housework today. How long do they bloom for do you know?

Bay Village, OH

Zone 6 b here and mine bloom only for about 3-5 weeks. Lots of buds but not strong enough sun yet to get the warm colors.

Most of Ohio is zone 5 like you..but mine gets pushed up cause I'm on the lake. Even so these plants are so forgiving...I've moved mine alot and they're fine.

Thumbnail by QuoiMerrie
Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

So mine are in afternoon shade. I do have a VERY sunny spot maybe I'll move some of them to that location. 3 - 5 weeks!! That makes me very happy. Thanks for the info. Now I need/want more of these!!

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

I have a very old clump of yellow. I didn't know they came in yellow and thought I was buying the red. I can't say I have been overly happy with the yellow, my flowers don't seem nearly as fat as your guys. They get good drainage and the plant is big and healthy and I get lots of bloom stalks, just doesn't seem to be a bright yellow like yours. Any suggestions?

I have since purchased a red and hopefully it is getting enough sun. I think this will be the second year but it is still pretty small.

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I love these, but the blooms don't last long at all. The show is already over with the blooms. I've never seen them re-bloom either.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.