Euphorbia Pics for Hart - Finally!

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

I've been promising these for some time and finally took some time in the morning yesterday to grab a few. Unfortunately they looked better a month ago and are starting to "fade" a little now. First up, one of my favorites for foliage - Blue Lagoon. Miss Phoebe decided to follow along for the photo shoot :)

This message was edited Jun 20, 2008 5:31 AM

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Just behind Blue Lagoon is the grouping of E. martinii (right) and E. 'Orange Grove' (front).

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Time for a pruning :( There are two E. martinii in the group above, one that is still 'standing' and the other ready for a haircut! It's just so hard to cut them back when they're tall and beautiful, but this one definitely needs it.

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

I'm really liking this one - close up of 'Orange Grove'. The foliage is a little different, kind of glossy, and when the blooms were fresh they did have an orange glow to them.

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

'Chameleon' - very floriferous but I'm disappointed with it. The foliage is supposed to be more of a burgundy but it just never seems to quite make it and the flowers are definitely smaller than the others in the garden.

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

The sun was really bright on 'Blackbird' - wish I had waited until later in the day. Although I love the foliage the blooms look nothing like the images I've seen. Thought they were supposed to be more upright with red stems, etc. The tall one in the middle is the lone survivor of E. lathyris of the three planted last spring. The good news is that this year it finally bloomed and from what everyone tells me it will self sow in the gardens :) Really unique blooms, nothing like the bracts of the other Euphorbias, wish I had taken a close up!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Rick took this one about a month ago, just about the time I was giving him heck for cutting the blooms off the Martinii in the same spot....told him I needed to take pictures but he beat me to it with the shears :( Helena's Blush (left), Blackbird (right)

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Helena's Blush in another area of the gardens. This one was full and beautiful during the weekend of the Open House, but alas she too is collapsing and in desperate need of a haircut!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Last one - barely any blooms on this one - E. griffithii 'Dixter'. This one just hasn't grown well, I suspect because I planted according to the tag, more shade then sun :( Planning to move it this year to a sunnier location with hopes that it will do better. The red stems are really attractive and I think with more sun they will be spectacular.

As soon as I figure out where they're going, I still have Tasmanian Tiger, Glacier Blue, Shorty, Bonfire and Excalibur to plant!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Shenandoah Valley, VA

I got one of those euphorbia lathyris at the Kim's sale. Good to know they can overwinter and that they'll self sow. Debbie, I got a euphorbia in a trade a couple of years ago that's sowing a few babies. I'll have to get some to you if I ever manage to get to any of the sales you attend. It makes a nice cushion, has never flopped.

Your euphorbias all look great. Yeah, sometimes the older stems flop over but I see you have lots of nice new growth coming up.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Can't wait till my babies get bigger....I'll have to take a pic of the two doing really well out front and post here...can't remember which they were, Debbie - you had them with you on the door prize table in MD at that restaurant, I think. (lotta help I am eh?) ^_^

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Chantell, those were 'Chameleon', the one I'm not happy with :( Don't what gives with them, their foliage is supposed to be deep burgundy? I'm just going to bite the bullet and cut them back to the ground and see what they do. If they refuse to sprout new burgundy foliage I'm thinking of moving them - they're wrecking my whole color scheme! LOL

hart, this is the first year that E. lathyris has bloomed so I'm hoping they will self sow. One of our friends had them for sale at Blandy this year and I was tempted to buy a couple more. He's the one who told me if I already have it I didn't need more, said I'll have plenty next year :) Now I just need to make sure I recognize them and don't pull them out thinking they're weeds! I was thinking about you the other day :) We were traveling the back roads from Cumberland, MD to Broadway (hence the quick visit to Kim's) and thought to myself, I wonder if I'm anywhere near where hart lives?

Shenandoah Valley, VA

You were probably west of me. If you look on a map, I'm just about exactly due east of Woodstock, in the middle of Fort Valley. Have you ever been to the Woodstock tower in Fort Valley that has the beautiful views of the seven bends of the Shenandoah? If you look the other way, you can see my house. Well, with binoculars. LOL

You think it's possible your Chameleon was mismarked?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ugh Debbie - the 2 I got from the "door prize" table ARE a gorgeous burgundy!!! They're in filtered sun filling out splendidly!!! The other one's not doing as well...wondering if he's getting too much sun where he is givin' how well the other 2 are in the other location...hmmmm
Promise to get pics of them all tonight...unless we get hit with those storms they're talking about...grrrr!!!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

RCN,These are just beautiful. Can Euphorbias withstand a lot of wind?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ok...nasty weather got at least the shot of the ones I was referring to - love the color!!

Thumbnail by Chantell
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Oops, read the posts and then forgot to comment! hart, i don't think they were mismarked, I think maybe for this Euphorbia they're getting too much sun and it's bleaching them out. I'm getting ready to cut them back and give them one last shot. Okay, now I have a little better idea of where you are - I-81 was between us :)

Chantell, yours is nicer than mine :)

stormyla, how much wind? They're a pretty tough plant, almost shrub like, and could probably tolerate the wind. Most of mine are planted along the front edge of a border and they do fine until about now when they flop and need a haircut.

Hampton Roads, VA(Zone 7b)

rcn48, please share your secrets on how to grow such spectacular euphorbia! I see your pix posted in the plant files and can only wish! I've had temporary success at best. This spring my Chameleon and amygdaloides f. purpurata had terrific blooms; and although the Bonfire didn't bloom, it was coming along nicely.
Then, almost overnight they began to wither and within just a few days the plants were toast. When that same thing happened last year, I replanted them in a drier spot with sharper drainage and lots of morning sun. They came back to life and did great, producing those nice spring blooms. I'm not sure where to plant them now...plus I seriously doubt these guys will revive after so much time has passed.
It's been hard to resist buying a 'Blackbird'--what gorgeous color--but seems kinda silly till I figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'm guessing the combination of sun and humidity may be the problem. How much sun do yours get? Any suggestions?

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

RCN, I'd also be interested in your thoughts on plantmover's comments. Two of my Cushion Spurge in one bed also met a similar fate. I believe that either the soil in this bed is too rich and/or this bed gets too much attention and water. It's tough to find information on how much light/water each Euphorbia variety enjoys.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Maybe this will help.

There are Euphorbias suitable for most garden situations. The many glaucous leaved varieties such as E. nicaeensis and rigida like hot, sunny, well drained positions whilst E. palustris revels in damp, wet conditions. E. griffithii and its cultivars thrive on heavier clay soils and remains relatively compact, whilst E. amygdaloides prefers a humus rich soil and shade. E. robbiae will thrive in dark dry shade. The miniature E. capitulata is the perfect rockery plant and the stately E. characias is the star of the early spring border. Flowering time is from February to November, the peak month being May. The predominant colour of the bracts is lime-yellow but there are also reds and oranges. Many species are evergreen and give year round foliage interest.

Growing hardy Euphorbias is, on the whole, quite easy. As a general rule, they will be happy with well drained soil, some shelter and some sun. The colour of the bracts will be more vibrant with more sun. They will tolerate the full range of soil Ph.

and this

E. griffithii 'Fireglow': one of the few euphorbias with orange-tinted bracts and a red flush to its leaves. 'Dixter' has leaves with a dark red tinge that make a sumptuous combination with its apricot-coloured flowers. They both give a strong autumn display, before resting over winter. The Royal Horticultural Society (RHS) has handed ‘Fireglow’ its Award of Garden Merit (AGM).
E. schillingii: the vigorous stems shoot up each spring, creating a sizeable mound topped with large heads of yellow flowers. Each lance-shaped leaf is elegantly picked out with a noticeable white midrib. The RHS has given it the AGM.

Evergreens for containers
The evergreen euphorbias are well worth highlighting in large ornamental pots, making first-rate focal points.

E. characias: one of the most popular euphorbias, it's a sun-loving, shrubby plant which, in a large pot, will hit 1.2m (4ft) high. It produces a huge, almost cylindrical head of dark-eyed flowers from late spring to summer. The bracts give a long-lasting display, even when the flowers have gone to seed. There are several good forms including subsp. wulfenii, 'Purple and Gold' with purple-tinged foliage and red stems, 'Blue Hills' with greyish-blue leaves, 'Humpty Dumpty', which is compact and free-flowering, and 'Lambrook Gold', renowned for its good-sized flower heads. The RHS has also given subsp. wulfenii and 'Lambrook Gold' its AGM.
E. mellifera: The plant's large, green, arching and lush leaves smother its numerous stout stems. The sweet aroma from its flowers, produced only in hot summers, has been likened to honey, and attracts a multitude of insects. In mild Cornish gardens, it can be seen to form huge, rounded bushes, over head high. This is still small compared with those found growing in its native Canary Islands, where it can reach tree-like proportions. Being slightly tender, it's best grown in containers so it can be moved to a mild, sheltered position over winter. It has AGM accreditation.

Dwarf euphorbias
E. myrsinites: a tiny evergreen euphorbia, just 10cm (4in) high and 30cm (1ft) wide, that enjoys a dry, baking position and is very effective at sprawling over a dry stone wall. Its greyish leaves are slightly succulent and triangular-shaped, and packed right around the stems - good fun. It's been given the AGM.
E. rigida: similar in appearance to E. myrsinites, but growing twice as big - with upright, evergreen stems and a handsome clump of sea-green leaves.

For shady areas
Some euphorbias can thrive in the darkest recesses of the garden, such as under a heavy tree canopy.

E. amygdaloides var. robbiae: a popular variety grown in difficult, sun-less places, it makes excellent evergreen ground cover. The variety's dark green rosettes of foliage (‘Purpurea’ has purple foliage) on short stems send up large, upright heads of flowers in spring. Like E. characias, the stems then die back to be replaced by new shoots carrying next year's blooms. E. amygdaloides var. robbiae: is native to woodlands in southern Britain. The RHS has given E. amygdaloides var. robbiae: its AGM.

The above like light, free-draining soil with plenty of sun. E. amygdaloides, E. griffithii and E. schillingii need moister, richer ground with a bit of shade.

WOW! Such a wealth of information--thank you, hart! I need to mark this thread for future reference. As stormyla mentioned, I've found specific info very hard to come by. I had no clue the Euphorbia genus was so diverse in it's requirements. This gives me new hope to try again and hopefully get the right euphorbia in the right place.

stormyla, your comment about the bed getting "too much attention and water" struck a chord. My euphorbia decline coincided with me doing the same. The E. dulcis 'Chameleon' hung on a little longer; it was in a much drier location. However, I "nurtured" it with plant food along with the rest.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Well looks like hart answered all your questions! LOL I don't have any "secrets" and I've had success as well as failure with some. Just yesterday I noticed that the 'Helena's Blush' in one area of the gardens looks like it's a goner :( I had just cut these back about 2 weeks ago and they were doing beautifully, mounding up with new growth. I had a couple that did the same thing last summer, seemed like almost overnight they died. When we inspected the plant it looked like some type of borer (like an iris borer?) had been chewing inside the stems. I've never been able to find any information on a specific pest or disease that would have caused this but I'm pretty sure when I have an opportunity to check out 'Helena's Blush' today I'm going to find the same problem :(

I will tell you that most of the varieties planted in our gardens do not like it "wet". They're extremely drought tolerant and don't like "rich" soils. I'm getting ready to dig some holes for all the Euphorbias that have been waiting for their new homes in the garden. Doesn't it figure, we've been praying for rain and when I finally have time for planting we received just enough rain to make it too wet to plant! Hopefully before the weekend's over, they'll all be planted and I can share some photos.

Sorry to hear about your 'Helena's Blush,' rcn48. Always disappointing to lose a plant. Very interesting about the borer tho. Thanks to you and hart's advice, I might be able grow euphorbia after all. :)

Happy planting, rcn....looking forward to more pix!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Hart & RCN, Thank you so much for the wonderful info. I've got a few varieties on hand to plant, so Plantmover, I'm glad you raised the question. The first time I saw one fall apart, I was so upset. Then I figured out that maybe that was normal. I gave them a haircut and one came back just fine, but the other one didn't. Now the other one has succomed as well. That bed is just to rich in soil and we've had too much rain lately. I do have others planted in drier, poorer soils that are prospering.

Hart, thanks, I'm going to keep your list for reference. Where did you find the info? I've got Helenas Blush, Blackbird, Martini, Griffithii Fireglow, Tanzmanian Tiger, Amygdaloides purpea and Glacier Blue to plant. There are 2 or 3 of each. The area that I want to fill with these is dry, somewhat windy and has full sun, part sun and some shade.It is quite a large area, so I'm going to want to add some more later. Any suggestions on planting these? I actually have 8 of the Amygdaloides.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Here's the first link.
http://www.euphorbias.co.uk/EuphorbiaInfo.htm

Here's the second one.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plantprofile_euphorbia.shtml

Keep in mind too there's a huge number of cactus like, tender euphorbias too so if you're ever looking for info, look for hardy euphorbias or spurges.

Where did you find all those euphorbias, lady?! Wow! Don't tell me garden centers are finally starting to carry them.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Hart, Those are great links. I think that the largest number of Euphorbias are cactus like. Maybe it just seems that way, because there are so many of them that obscure my way, when I'm trying to study on them.

I only got 2 from a small local garden center. The owner is partial to them. The rest came from catalogues and Ebay.

Now that I know about RCN, maybe she'll help me get the rest of what I need!!!!

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

stormyla - Euphorbias are my new addiction :) http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/373/ Even though I've lost a few I'm not giving up, I love them! When you get ready to plant all those beauties, keep in mind that Helena's Blush and Blackbird are a little smaller than the others - at least for me :) Martinii on the hand needs plenty of room - it gets BIG! The amygdaloides 'Purpurea' grows just about anywhere you want to plant it - prefers a shady spot but it pops up in spots where there is full sun and still does well - even though I love it, it's basically a "weed" here :( I dug holes yesterday for Tazmanian Tiger, Glacier Blue, Excalibur, Shorty, Rudolph, Bonfire, and a few weak Blue Lagoons I had. Now I just need to get them planted!

I call dibs on rcn's "weeds"!!!

Found a "Blackbird" on the sale rack--yippee! I'm hopeful this one will survive. Thanks for all your helpful advice and resources...great article, rcn!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

RCN: I don't see amygdaloides 'Purpurea' in Plant Files -- is it new? You know when I hear that word "shady", my ears perk up!

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Happy, sorry it's actually Euphorbia amygdaloides var purpurea http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/97547. It really is a nice little plant but sometimes just pops up in places I don't want it! I've found them in locations where they get full sun as well as full shade and all seem to do well - although this one never gets to be the size of some of the others I've shown - more like 12"-15". I dug one up for Jill and brought it to the swap in February but I'm not sure if it lived or not? I'll keep you in mind the next time I'm popping a few out of the ground. And you too, plantmover - I also see that Chantell has it on her "want" list, I wish I had known in February, if Rick doesn't get to them first (he's always "weeding" them) I should have plenty :)

plantmover and stormyla, FYI the only other problem I've had with Blackbird and Helena's Blush is them reverting, foliage changes to blue green - still a nice plant but not the deep 'black' or pretty variegation they're known for :(

You were serious about them being a weed; I thought you used the expression because they do so well, but you also meant it literally. Well thank you--I'd be happy to have some of your weeds!

Bummer about the reverting...but I'll settle for blue green over crinkly brown! ;)

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Noticed yesterday that my beautiful 'martinii' looks like it might be dying as well :((( I don't know if it's the drought or the same unidentified pest that got one last year? I've got a whole area that I'm planning to plant all the new cultivars but if this problem continues, in two years I might be looking at bare spots in the gardens :( It's just odd, there are three Euphorbias planted in this spot, the two on either side of this one look fine but the 'martinii' in the middle is withering away!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

You know, my two martiniis just died after we had a late, very cold freeze a couple of years ago. One of them came back and is slowly growing back to its former glory.

I had assumed it was just the cold that got them because they're really not rated hardy to our zone (zone 7 is the lowest according to every place I've seen.)

I did some searching around after seeing your post and found this:

E. characias has one annoying habit. It becomes leggy and bare at the base once it reaches four or five years old. Hard pruning in early summer will keep a more compact shape, but even then it will begin to lose vigour and die. Taking softwood cuttings in early summer is a necessity, as is leaving some seedlings to grow close by. Unfortunately E. x martinii has inherited this short-lived tendency. It will thrive and flower happily for three or four years, then die - but its beauty makes it well worth the effort.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/main.jhtml?xml=/gardening/2002/03/09/grow09.xml

More from that article.

Growing tips

Euphorbias are easy to grow, but prefer sheltered positions away from strong winds. They do best in fertile soil. E. amygdaloides var. robbiae will grow in dry shade. E. x martinii needs well-drained, fertile soil in full sun or partial shade.
Deciduous euphorbias are best left intact during summer and cut down to the base of the plant in autumn. The new shoots then emerge very cleanly the following spring. The lower growing glaucous euphorbias (up to a foot in height) are best cut hard back after flowering to keep them compact.
Don't cut back the taller evergreen euphorbias without careful thought. Left until autumn, the seedheads give a strong presence in the border. If they are cut back after flowering, they will produce new shoots at the base but may leave a gap in a border.
Whatever you decide, propagate every year from the new growth at the base of these evergreen euphorbias. Carefully cut some of the new growth (avoiding contact with the harmful sap) and trim back to 4in in length - removing the bottom 2in of leaves. Fill a 3in pot with a mixture of 50 per cent sand and 50 per cent compost and immerse one cutting in each pot. Leave in a cold frame or a shady place until the following spring, then plant the well-rooted cutting outside. If the cutting hasn't rooted, leave it until autumn.
The glaucous-leaved euphorbias thrive in well-drained soil and prefer full sun. The green-leaved deciduous forms will thrive in sun or partial shade - but all euphorbias need good drainage.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Quoting:
It will thrive and flower happily for three or four years, then die - but its beauty makes it well worth the effort.

Well...mine was planted in the fall of 2006, so I only got to enjoy it for two years :( I'll have to check the one in the front gardens - seems there's something in that one bed that Euphorbias don't like, at least 'martinii'! The 'Tasmanian Tiger' and 'Glacier Blue' I'm getting ready to plant are both E. characias so I'll have to remember to try taking cuttings to keep them going in the years to come. Thank you for the helpful information :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.