Chit Chat... Everyone welcome. Part 36

South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

Time to start a new thread again. : ) Everyone is welcome to chat with us, and you don't have to be from FL. : )
We came from here>>>>> http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/864970/

Good Morning, everyone.

Thumbnail by BlueGlancer
Jacksonville, FL

Good Morning all
Still no luggage! They said I should have it today. HMmmm.....I think I heard that line of BS yesterday! LOL! I sure hope it arrives, so I can get pictures posted I did some transplanting yesterday of various potted plants into the ground and have to get more composted potting soil today and get more plants in the ground and in planters, plus start some seeds. Hope for a little rain today so I won't have to water! Hope everyone has a great day.
Linda

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

I made my plane reservations yesterday. I'll (hopefully) be in FL 11 - 19 July. We're having some fluctuations in the schedule at work. I may have to fly overseas @20 July so may need to cut the trip short. Sure hope not. I have a ton of "work" to do while I'm down there.

Jeremy, if no one else wants that plum, I'll get it when I'm down. I definately have room for it in the back. And I think you were saving something else for me.

Perhaps those of us in the JAX vicinity can all get together. I'd like to put some faces to names. You can all come over and see my sad, empty gardens!!!!!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Give me a few days but yes I would love to meet ya'll.

I'm off to see the doctor the wonderful doctor of oz=yell right.
-oh I have to park the car in the parking lot at Baptish where the shooting was yesterday. Thankly I was not there.

Talk at ya'll later. I am starving!!!!

Thumbnail by wren107
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Morning all, just stopping in to get a bottle of water and a cool down and a read on here , digging beds is no fun in this heat.I guess at least the perspiration dripping of my face is irrigating at the same time

Lucy what is that blue flower, it is so pretty ?

Hope your luggage turns up today Linda. It must be a pain chasing it up .

Good luck wren

Did anyone know what that plant was that 'bit' me on the other thread?.I have a nice swollen, achy , itchy hand this morning

Fleur, I don't remember what that plant was. I bought it last year, and it has since died. Some kind of Delphinium, maybe? I just don't remember.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

What a shame Lucy. Don't think it is a delphinium though . Maybe someone else will be able to id it.

West Central, FL(Zone 9b)

Good morning! I slept in...lol! Good thing cause I remembered I have to stay up tonight for the GK's...and DS etc visit.

Linda I hope they find your luggage...very aggrevating I bet!

Lots of pretty blooms and Bf's over on the other thread...Linda P, Lucy and Elaine!
All you guys here need to make sure your Want lists are up to date....my Plant Fairies are getting restless....lol!

Toy, here is a search engine for birds...It is pretty good if you don't narrow the parameters too much and then go thru the list of birds visually to narrow it down...I use it and then my audobon book. http://identify.whatbird.com/mwg/_/0/attrs.aspx

It's laundry and housecleaning day for me.
Have a great day everyone...it's so hot out there Fleur...good day to stay inside.

Thumbnail by shellabella

Cathy, Here is the Yvonne's salvia, and the other blue/pulple salvia you sent me the seeds for. The tags got lost and I don't know which is which. Can you tell by the leaves? Maybe look at your blue/purple one and compare. One has more of a rounded leaf, and the other more pointy.

I know Yvonne's gets pretty big, so I kinda wanted to plant it so it has alot of room. I have a couple more in other pots, if the squirrels haven't dug them up. lol (more purple and Yvonne's, just don't know which is which)

Thumbnail by BlueGlancer
Vero Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

Hello to you all, and greetings from Vero Beach. I am a new member, but I have lurked for a while. It is amazing the amount of knowledge one can gain from this site! I have ordered some plumeria seeds and cuttings this week, and plan to get very busy very soon....
I look forward to getting to know you all. -Rick

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi Michelle , well I was hoping to get more dug as I have plants that need to go in the ground. But 'you know who' has just arrived so it will be here until 11.30 waiting for the bar to open. So I will be inside for awhile I guess.

Thumbnail by fleurone

Morning Michelle, your flowers are looking good. You sure have been working on that back yard. I probably won't recognize it next time I visit. : ) Good job. : )

Has anyone ever felt like the old lady that lived in a shoe, she has so many children she didn't know what to do? That's me. Too many plant children. lol

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi Rick welcome :)

Yep it is a great site , lots of friendly and knowledgeable people

Hi Rick : ) Welcome to our madhouse chat. lol Just jump right in. We talk alittle about everything.

My plumeria just pop out it's seeds after months and months of waiting. I don't know which one it is. Could be the white one with a yellow center, or the yellow one with pink edges. You are welcome to all those seeds if you want them.

Anyone else here is welcome to them, also.
~Lucy

Vero Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

Would love some, thanks. I don't have much in the form of tradable specimens, yet, but definately am looking forward to growing the collection.

Has anyone had much success with Dalias? I have a couple, they grow like crazy, then bloom, then seem to die off, and then sprout like crazy again a couple months later. They seem pretty difficult to grow.. Any experience on these?

Here is a picture of the pod after it opened. They looked like 2 cigars before they opened. lol : )

Thumbnail by BlueGlancer
Vero Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

Now that is pretty interesting. How many viable seeds do you get out of a pod like that?

Rick, you don't have to trade me anything. I'm glad someone wants them. D-mail me, on here, your address, and I will get them out to you.

I have one red dahlia, that I planted this year, so I don't know much about them yet.
~Lucy

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

I haven't tried dahlias either the ones I saw for sale looked pretty bad/sad. I like the look of that Dahlia Tree though.

I have no idea how many viable seeds there would be. Maybe Dutchlady would know, if she comes through here, and reads this. That was my first 2 pods.

Hi Rick, so nice to have you visit our chit chat thread....make sure your want list has plenty of stuff on it. I have plant Fairies.....that want to know what people like...lol!
Ask us anything and we will try to answer!
No experience with dahlias...I want to try them early next spring....

Oh Jeez Fleur.....I'd find an errand to do, a LONG one.....!

Thanks for the compliment Lucy....it's not quite where I want it to be yet, but things have grown in very nicely since the winter cold snap.
The Coleus including the one you gave me are getting really big now! Time to take cuttings and have them grow to decent size for the RU in the fall. I am addicted to Coleus now.

That Tibochina bush in the center of that pic is a good example of what I mean about things not the way I want them yet. It got nakid legs cause it was in too much shade before. When I transplanted it I knew it would start flowering soon and didn't want to prune it. It is starting to flower now and after that I will prune it so it will fill in a little on the bottom....

All the sweet potato vines are starting to run amuck, so I have to handle those too...lol!
That's what I get for cramming stuff together...!

I can't deal with potato vines, they get away from me. Plus, I always think there is a snake in them. lol

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Nope not leaving it alone in the house. I was out on the pool deck with one of the dogs and suddenly a voice.. frightened the whatsit out of me !. And it has already informed me it will be here for a shower tommorow morning as strangely its hot water heater is not working. Funny thing that happened last year too when MIL was away.

I haven't tried coleus cuttings, I just have a load of common all garden seed packet variety except for one I bought in the discard racks red something. It's looking good now though. Will look it up.

Mmm same problem with the sweet potato things, guess they will root easy ?

Vero Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Shella, problem with my want list is, I do not know what I like yet, I am just starting out. I have a few Mandevillas, Dipladerias, Exacums, Dalias, and Begonias now. Also a small vegetable garden. Other than that, I am pretty new to the names and all.

Vero Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

Oh, and I love my Gardenias. I have a couple that are growing pretty fast, and bloomed this year for the first time.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I had a snake look me eye to eye in my ligustrium tree the other day. I was unamused. I like them in the garden, I think they are a good thing. Problem is, I like them on the ground...only. Put them in the water with me, or in a tree im gardening under. nope, dont go for that.
Somebody was growing potatoes in in old tires on the veggie forum. Can you imagine sticking your hand in those. creepy.

Give it a year, Rick, and you will know everything we know, and probably have everything we have. lol : )

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

That's true Lucy.

I add things to my want list if I see something I like, Not to get trades etc but so I will remember the plant. Same with the DG journal, ( lol if I remember to add things ) I have a reference to what I am growing and when I update it , where they are growing.

What is an Exacum I couldn't pull it up uin plant files?

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

As well as trading between ourselves Rick there is also the Daves Garden Marketplace , http://davesgarden.com/products/market/

Here is one I saw in plant files.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/59460/

Ok, Rick my fairies have your number now.....they know something you would like...lol!

Fleur....they will root very very easy in water even...you will never have a shortage of sweet potato vines...and I will set aside some Coleus cuttings just for you...I hope you will drive down for our RU in the early fall. I think it's too hot to ship them now.

If you come to the RU and get some you can keep the Coleus in pots and plant them out next spring....then take cuttings and pot up for the next spring. I know it gets pretty cold up there, and I don't know how they will survive that cold in the ground from year to year... we are warmer here. A few of mine did make it thru the cold snap this year, but we sure didn't get as cold as Brooksville did.

Ok, now about your unwelcome visitor.... my Fairies have been discussing your options. They say there is only one solution left they can think of....they can get busy and make you a Fairy Voodo doll....... Jk :)

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks Lucy, mm wonder why it wouldn't come up for me. Gremlins in the works I guess

Vero Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

Yes, that is the one... I planted six of these in the flowerbed in front of my house, and they are beautiful!! I put them in front of a row of Krotons, and the color is amazing. I will try and get some pictures later.

Those would be pretty in front of crotons!

Fleur, I googled Exacum, and about 5 lines down was a Dave's garden entry. : )

Vero Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

The ones I have look like this:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/166318/

I do not know how to link yet....

That's a pretty one, Rick. Your link worked just fine. : )

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks Shell re: the vines I will try and root some . And thank you also for the coleus offer, they would probably shrivel right now if shipped. I would love to go to a RU. We had some bad freezes last year .

rofl: you are on the same wavelength, I told my eldest son last week I am going to start sticking pins in a voodoo doll!.

I think the coleus I bought was called red pineapple or pineapple red. Can't find the tag .

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Gremlins Lucy!!. I didn't google it just tried here. Those and crotons would look good. I have Mamey :)

I'm bound and determined to work outside today, if i have to overdose on these darn pain pills. lol : ) Just kidding. Oh, to be 29 again. : )

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.