When's the best time to thin my strawberries?

Whitesboro, TX

My strawberry patch runneth over! After a unuaslly wet spring last year here in north Texas & a broken thumb this spring I kinda let my strawberry patch get away from me. When is the best time to remove & how do I get them to go into the bare root stock stage so I can ship the extras to a friend of mine? They are so thick right now that they are putting off small berries & real leggy plants. It is about a 4 year old patch of Quinalta(sic) strawberries. Plants look good but not bearing much fruit as usual because of crowding. LMKP if you have any ideas on how to properly do this. Thanks & Happy Gardening!

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

Thin them after they finish fruiting.

Whitesboro, TX

Just pluck up the plants I want to remove & let them dry out or put them in 3" pots or do I do anything special to the 1's I thin out? Don't want to just trash them -- would like to pass them along to a friend that needs them & they are good healthy plants - just too many of them!

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

Strawberries are hard to kill. If you want the thinnings for planting out, you should dig them up to be sure to get the roots. When I did this, I just threw them into a plastic bag, spritzed a little water into it. They were fine a week later when the new bed was ready. You don't want them to dry out, as they aren't dormant.

Whitesboro, TX

Thanks LTilton - will do that. Thank you very much for the advice & hope your garden is as green & happy as mine!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.