Irises of Shadowood - part trois

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Seems like I've been waiting decades to see this one bloom. In fact, I think I may have lost it the first time or two I planted it. It's finally settled in, though, and I'm enjoying the brilliant pops of color it provides.

MTB 'Bumblebee Deelite'

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

SDB ' Serenity Prayer'

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Last pic for now.

IB 'Midsummer Night's Dream'

Thumbnail by laurief
Oracle , AZ(Zone 8b)

Let's see... If I had a summer home in Minn. I could have two Iris seasons! We did have one in Crosby for a couple of summers, but, family obligations here in Arizona kinda took care of that. Bummer. Love Minn. in the summer. Really missed the mountains here tho. If it was cloudy in Minn. I was lost. Couldn't tell east from north, south from west........ No shadows or mountains to orient myself. I could still tell up from down. Barely. Your photos are just beautiful. You really know how to show them at their best. Reminds of how much I love them. Thanks.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Better yet, win the lottery so you can afford the gas, then buy a big ole RV and travel the country following iris bloom all year. ;-)

I've always said that if I were ever to leave MN (not that I'm ever planning to), the only other place I'd want to live would be in the mountains somewhere. Now I just have to find a beautiful mountain setting with no significantly venomous reptiles, spiders (no tarantulas either, please), or scorpions; no recurring natural disasters (earthquake, hurricane, tsunami, tornado, volcano, etc.); and a climate that rarely exceeds 80 degrees.

Laurie

South Hamilton, MA

You're not as fussy as my father on temp who claimed he was happy with temp between 68 & 72.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Actually, I'm happiest with temps between 50-60, but I'm realistic enough to know that I'm not going to find that sort of paradise. ;-)

Laurie

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I've still got a backlog of pics I'm trying to find time to post for you all to enjoy. Here are ten more, though most if these have finished blooming now (I'm currently enjoying some of my beardless irises in bloom).

First up (working from the end of the alphabet backwards this time) ...

SDB 'Yipee'

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Maiden bloomer and a real stunner, too!

SDB 'Wine Spritzer'

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Another interesting maiden bloomer. This one has those moody hues that I love.

SDB 'Wild Horses'

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I love the round, ruffled falls on this one.

SDB 'Widow's Veil'

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Another lovely maiden.

MTB 'White Wine'

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

A very reliable old friend who will forever have a place of admiration in my garden.

SDB 'What Again'

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I LOVE the vivid color and pattern of this iris. This one's in the running for "Favorite Maiden Bloomer of 2008".

SDB 'Webmaster'

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Always a cheerful beauty.

SDB 'With Castanets'

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Another attractive new bloomer and an SA (note the horns).

IB 'Winged Angel'

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Last one for tonight.

SDB 'Why Two Kay'

Thumbnail by laurief
Lakes of the Four Se, IN(Zone 5a)

A stunning collection!! Thanks for sharing.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Love Wild Horses, Laurie. Thanks for sharing. Don't you wish you could just spray them with something when they are in full bloom and make them last a lot longer?
Sharon

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Sharon, that's exactly what I do! I spray them with my camera lens, and they last indefinitely!

St Joseph, IL(Zone 5b)

Beautiful pics Laurie. Thanks for sharing.
Laura

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.