Weird Cleopatra leaves-pics

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

If I had to dig them up every year I would not have so many, that's for sure! I don't know how you guys do that. I'm into easy!

Elsa--I would love to see your white and light pink.

I have to share one more I just love.

Canna Tropicana

Thumbnail by morganc
Pretoria, South Africa

morganc, I love your Orange Beauty. Really beautiful orange... All of my cannas are re-bloomers. Even now in the middle of winter, most has flowers on them. Mine also form more than one set of flowers on the same stalk, so I just cut out the spent flowers.
All of the cannas grow about 4-5 feet high, but the one with the red throat send out very tall flower stalks, and some end off being about 6 feet high.

lhettenhausen, let me know if I must save some seed for you in the coming season.

I have tropicanna and lucifer in pots. Lhettenhausen- if you buy the dwarf cannas you can put them in pots as I do. Then in the fall after first frost you can take them pot and all and put them in the garage. Tote them back out in spring. That's easy.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Elsa---Wanna trade some seed?

Highland, IL

I just got my first dwarf this year. It is a real job to dig them up, but they are just soo beautiful!!! Bubba, I think I will try that for next year! I have elephant ear in some pots that I do that with.

I used to put my elephant ears in pots, but there just isn't enough room in the pot. I eventually had to transplant it into the ground and hope it didn't die because it was too hot.

Highland, IL

I have found that the black magic seem to do better for me in pots, I would think because the bulbs are smaller. I use large concrete planters too.

Pretoria, South Africa

morganc, you have D-mail.

Isn't it hard to get your plants out of a concrete planter in fall? Does it tear your hands up? I may try putting my black magic in a pot on my front porch next year. It is doing great where it's at, but the ears aren't really black. It has been suggested maybe it is getting too much sun. It only gets a little filtered sun, but maybe that's still too much.

(Nadine) Devers, TX(Zone 9b)

mmm... this kinda got sidetrack from my post..LOL..just to say my seed pod is growing and I will plant the seeds to see what I get ..lol...

Highland, IL

Moodene, I'm so sorry!! Bubba, sent you a DM!
Everyone, please keep posting your beautiful pic's!!! There are canna I have never heard of!!!

Well. See. That's what happens when you talk to a woman! Just like I told my son last night. He couldn't understand how our conversations kept taking different directions. I told him that I was a woman, lots of things going on up here. I told him it was like word association, only its thought association.

(Nadine) Devers, TX(Zone 9b)

LOLOLOL......ya'll keep them pics coming.....

Montreal, Canada

Elsa - I woudl love to have some seeds from the yellow with red through.

Please send a Dmail.

Thanks,
Charmaine

Highland, IL

I love the way you described it as word association thing, I hope you don't mind but I'm gonna use it!!! My husband and son will love it.

Go ahead! I have lots more where that came from!

Starkville, MS

I have 6 or 7 different varieties of cannas-----------and, they are all plagued with canna rollers. Does anyone have a good suggestion for dealing with them? I hate to put an insecticide in the soil as that will kill earth worms and other good guys. Right now I just cut off the offending leaf. The worms may not be so common in other parts of the country, but in tropical Mississippi they are quite prolific.

Shirleyd
Zone 7b---almost 8

Thankfully my cannas have always been healthy. What does a canna roller look like? Just in case I ever come across one.

Starkville, MS

You rarely see the insect------------but, your leaves cannot open----and stay tightly rolled up. If you cut the webbing holding them together, you find that the leaves are damaged and unsightly. I think the rollers are most prevalent in humid climates (such as Mississippi).

Shirleyd

Oh. Humid climate. That definetly wouldn't be me. You have to have rain for that. (Was that a snide comment? Ha! ha!)

Starkville, MS

I wanted to show a picture of my Stuttgart cannas. They have never been this tall--------------and are trying to take over the garden

Shirleyd
Zone 7b

Thumbnail by shirleyd

WOW! Beautiful garden! I just bought my first stuttgart this year. I thought I got it planted in the shade, but apparently it is getting a little sun because I noticed this morning when I was watering it that the white part is burning and curling so I am going to have to move it. It looks like yours is getting sun. Isn't it burning? What is that you have planted to the left of it right in front of the tree?

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

What a lovely garden.........looks so inviting. I tried growing Stuttgart afew years ago, but it fried with only early dappled sun here in Texas. Maybe I'll try one in full shade and see how it does. Yours look gorgeous....so of course I want one! :-)

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Me too. I have a Stuggart Canna that got fried. I moved it to full shade we'll see how it does now.

Starkville, MS

The tall plants in front of the tree are Brugmansias. They already have buds--but I don't hold out much hope for lots of blooms if we don't get some rain. It is strange to have humidity---but no rain!

Shirleyd

My brugs don't look near like that. They don't seem to be growing.

Winnsboro, TX

Oh Shirley the garden and flowerbed with the brugs and stuttgart cannas is breath taking. I just love the way you have it outlined or edged in the bricks. Hummmmmm. Hmmmmmmm.

I have a small stuttgart that is not doing too well. I'm thinking I should move it to a different location. I do have about 15 different cannas and I love them all.

Moodene, I would not pull out a cleopatra that had mostly green leaves. I find that they offer you another form of beauty in the blooms they have. Keep some of all of them. Variety is what makes us want more cannas to start with.

Elsa123, I would love to exchange some canna seeds with you if you have any extra.

I'm making like paths and trails everywhere on my place. I just try to plant at least 2 of each canna if not more. I plant one on each side of the path of the same color/canna so it will look neat and matching when someone decides to stoll down a path. LOL

Shirleyd, I too have a few brugs and cannas that I have to haul water to. I've been making all these beds all over this old 35 acre non working farm and I got a little carried away. Therefore, I have to haul water to keep everything alive.

Right now I'm working on covering the banks of one of my creeks with cannas, elephant ears, and banana trees. (I'm crazy to say the least)

Another thing to anyone that has leaf rollers. I've found it best to cut the plant to the ground, and burn the leaves right then. It only takes those moths a few days to reproduce. I also read somewhere that they only lay like one egg on a leaf. That's bologna, if your like me and you don't see very good put your glasses on. I recently was able to find the little culprits as tiny as a 1/4 inch in length and about as big around as cornsilk. In other words alot smaller than I could see before. When they first get started I go out every morning and open the leaves, if I see any worms, I just squash them. I will say you have to stay on top of them because the reproduce like 5 different cycles here in TEXAS and they are a nightmare and make the leaves look terrible. I don't like to spray either, but sometime you do what you have to do.

Morganc, How are the Brugmansia's doing? My hycinth beans are taking over the world and the archway is looking really good.
I can't wait to see them bloom.

Happy Gardening Everyone
Marian

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Marian,

The Brugs are growing......have re-potted all. Two are in about a 6 inch pot, but two outgrew that and are in a larger pot. I have some in mostly shade, and others mostly sun. I've started feeding them and they improved with food. With this heat I just hoping they don't croak.

Pam

Winnsboro, TX

Hey Pam, feed them Brugmansia babies and they will grow like CRAZY. Mine are all planted in the ground. Some of the ones I had the same size of the ones I sent you are now like 4 ft tall. They require alot of water and fertilizer. I hope the doubles bloom for you this year. I'm not sure that any of the ones I kept are doubles. I think I've been had by someone on E bay. (frown)
Keep them watered and fertilized and they will be just fine.

I am having to haul water to over 1/2 of all my plants. I guess that's what I get for making all those neat little paths and trails everywhere. LOL

Happy Gardening, Marian

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

What do you feed yours??

Crestview, FL

Elsa: Those are beautiful dear. I have 12 cannas in my beds now that are really tall ones, I have two that are showing dark burgandy and green leafs mixed also. I don't have any apricot blooms though yet. I just transplanted 7 into pots of the ones I started from seed. I still have about 45-50 more still in the peat pellets, looks like 12 are starting to grow too. I at first had them seperated according to color of the bloom, some white, some yellow, some red, some rose and some salmon; but, in moving them around they are all mixed up now. DUH. I planted some Rose Futurity's which are supposed to have coral colored blooms; but they are pinkish I think. I'd like to find an apricot one and I want to get a Stuttgard one for in the house.
joy112854

Pretoria, South Africa

Hi joy112854,

My cannas flowered right through the winter, but didn't form seed like they do in summer. Temperatures are increasing, and I'm sure it won't be long before I have some seeds again. I'll put you on my Trade Tracker for some apricot ones. Will let you know when they are ready to be mailed.

Elsa

I have started collecting cannas myself this season. Just LOVE the foliage! What I can't figure out is why mine are making seed pods which either fall of the plant while they are still green or even brown, but the brown ones you open up and there's nothing but fuzz inside. Surely they have been pollinated because I have had to watch for wasps and bees all summer while trying to water them.

Crestview, FL

Elsa: Thank you, I will try and figure out how to put pics on the computer here so you can see my cannas. I want to get a Stuttgart; but, since I live in Florida, I get mostly direct sunlight, so, will want to make it a house plant. I had leaf rollers; but treated with systemic and now they are gone. I cut the plant back, treated with systemic and it takes care of it. I'm anxious for rhizomes for cannas to be on sale again, I bought some from Easy to Grow, and every place I could think of, but now you can't get them, the reason I started some from seed. I have a 2,064 square foot house with a 30 x 12 deck and 20 ft ramp that I'm surrounding with cannas, so that will be a lot of them when I'm done. I love them. I dug my beds around the house double wide because I will probably put two rows around the front. Thank you for the offer, I will have to figure out that trade tracker, as I'd love to get some canna seeds and rhizomes.
joy112854

Pretoria, South Africa

bubba1, it may be that your cannas are infertile. I believe some varieties are (please correct me if I'm wrong), and I also found that they do that if the temp. isn't to their liking. Mine did this in the winter. However, they seem to have started producing proper seeds again. We've been having higher temperature for about 3-4 weeks now.

joy112854, I love the fact that they flower the first year from seed. I had some (started them in September 2007) flower in December 2007. I started some more seeds just before the winter. I kept them outside during winter (we didn't have any freezes) and they were planted about 6 weeks ago. I can't believe the amount of growth they have put on in that time. Can't wait for them to flower, as they are completely different from the ones I have at the moment.
Will post pictures as soon as they flower...

I am not sure about them being infertile. I have several different varieties. I purchased some from two separate vendors this spring on ebay. They are supposed to be cold hardy. They are all beautiful to me. One variety has green foliage and the blooms are orange set on stems that look purple. The pods are also purple. Another blooms orange with yellow spots; another yellow with orange spots. I think the stems these bloom on are green and the pods are green. Then I have some with green foliage that bloom yellow on green stems, and some that bloom yellow with orange spots. These are new to me and I love the spots! I also have some dwarf cannas. One I do know to be Lucifer. These pods are always fuzz. Now. I do have some cannas that are green foliage and red blooms that look somewhat like the indica cannas. I have had these for many many years but never knew until this year that cannas made seed. Which, of course, explained why I kept finding cannas coming up in my grass! I have collected several seeds from these cannas this year, but right now their pods seem to be making fuzz also. I have some red stripe cannas I got on a trade this spring. I just LOVE the foliage, but so far they have never bloomed. They are in part shade so I am thinking they are not getting enough sun. Then there is the stuttgart canna. Can't seem to give it ENOUGH shade.

Crestview, FL

Elsa: Some of the ones I planted from are really taking off and if they get big enough before winter they will be planted in the beds I have around the house. We get a little chilly here; but, I could always mulch if I had to.
Bubba: I want a Stuttgart myself; but, since I live in Florida I think I will make it a house plant as there are not many shady spots in my yard and I think it would make a beautiful house plant myself. I want to try and get some different varieties in my beds this year; so as soon as I can find some Rhizomes on sale, I'll be buying lots. LOL
joy112854

I got my stuttgart from Brians Botanicals. Brian is a daves garden member. My stuttgart is in the shade, but it gets a slight amount of sun as it sets late in the afternoon. This makes it burn.

Crestview, FL

bubba1: Thanks now if I can just figure out how to do this trade stuff and get with Brian and Elsa. Although I don't have anything to trade I don't mind buying them. LOL I know I'll order at least 50 rhizomes this January for sure, from someplace, can't ever have too many cannas.
I had thought about elephant ears; but my sister cautioned me on those as they take up the whole yard and multiply like crazy in this area and then you can't kill them. Besides with the elephant ears you only get big leafs, with cannas, you get pretty tropical blooms in a great variety of colors, simply awesome.
joy112854

I LOVE elephant ears!!! I have about 50 of them right now! Can't get enough! I have to dig them up in the fall, but I love them. You know. If you planted elephant ears, you would eventually have something to trade with people or sell on ebay. Have you looked at the cannas on ebay? That's where I got several of mine. Also, I actually paid for the stuttgart from Brian, wasn't a trade. I think his store's web address is www.briansbotanicals.net. Let me know if that's correct. You will also find all kinds of tropicals there that would thrive in your zone. Lot of stuff there I can't buy 'cause of my zone.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.