What plant can't you do without?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

We all have our garden favorites, but what is the most critical to you, and why?

I'd love to know. I'd love to have a garden filled with the best of the best.

Tell us what you have to have, why, and how well it grows in the mid-Atlantic.

I love my rose of sharon. They get HUGE double purple blossoms. They form two of the exterior borders of my maze. They bloom forever. The only problem is the Japanese beetles. I have to spray at least twice to keep them at bay.

Thumbnail by Lastelf
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Elf, if I had to pick just one it would be the Daffodil. So cherry after a long dull winter. The promise of more sunshine and flowers to come. They multiply and are hard to kill. Come in so many verities, and early mid and late blooms so you can extend the season. Some are fragrant, which sometimes influences my choice of verities when it is time to order more.
I can't get enough of them .

Thumbnail by ladygardener1
Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

mornig glories!

Thumbnail by jordankittyjo
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Gardenias!!!!! It now has 5 opened buds on it and all I want to do is hug it!

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

what a tough question! Why couldn't you have asked the meaning of life instead~~

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Alright Sally.

Just for you: WHAT IS THE MEANING OF LIFE?

Now, you walked into that one, didn't ya!

Blessings on your garden!
Elf

um
um
um
er
uh
To Garden

I still can't say what's my favorite, altho daffodils get a 'second' from me. I have lots.
I have some flowers or plants because of coming from a source, like pansies for my aunt, yucca from dad, but they are not my Love, more for the sentiment..So what plant is my Love...to name One is to discount the Others, n'est pas?

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

For me it depends on the season -- it is whatever is in bloom and doesn't require much TLC . I mostly grow perennials, so my favorite shifts with the season. Daylilies are about to be my favorite -- first few opened today.

well, to start, marylanders all should have perennial blackeyed susans- for ease and reliability.

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7b)

For me, It is about awesome flowers.......and the Rose is the Queen of Blooms. Do I have to pick a particular rose?? Can't do that. But if I had to grab and go, it would be a bright red, fragrant climbing one.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I think we all love Daffodils because we're so starved for blooms by the time they arrive. They're such brave cheery soldiers greeting us through chill winds and errant late snows. This is like trying to decide which child we love most!! Right now, I'm enchanted with the charteuse blooms and purple leaves of my Euphorbia Cushion Spurge. I know they also come in some very tall varieties, so I may have to have some of those too! Mary

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Purple Petunias and Nicotiana 'Fragrant Cloud'

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

As if you didn't know - Euphorbias! As soon as it cools off a little, I promise I'll post pictures - it's just too darned hot to do anything :(

Foxnfirefly has a good point- I would take my moms old fragrant red rose (without the black spot leaves) But since I only got any roses last year- they can't really be my favorite.
A native dogwood tree and a 'red Japanese' maple- maybe overused but still good

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.