Mystersy ?Herb? - ID help please

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I'll put this over in the plant ID forum as well...but we've got some good herb gurus "here" Nice scent when rubbed....just can't place it.

Thumbnail by Chantell
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Closer look at the leaf

Thumbnail by Chantell
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Looks like lemon balm.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/52593/

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

or sans lemony scent, could it be agastache-anise hyssop- sort of minty-- I think I gave you some last year and mine have self seeded majorly
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/15993/

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Wow they do look similar don't they? OMG, Sally THAT'S just where I had your pot sitting before I planted it in the back and sadly it died - which is why I asked for more. Ohhh I would be so excited if it was the agastache!!! Guess i'll have to wait for blooms eh? Although it has scent it's not the lemony scent of the lemon balm happy gave me...matter a fact I'd just planted the Lemon Balm from happy just across my stairs from where these little pretties are coming up everywhere. How funny is that? Thank God I don't just yank things anymore - granted I've let weeds grow to new heights not sure what they were but I'm being blessed w/so many good surprises this year!!!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Hi Chantell,

Methinks that you should run out and rub the leaves then [VBG] come back & tell us what flavor it smelled like. Lemon Balm has a very strong lemon scent and would almost be impossible to miss. But agastache tends to smell a bit more anisette-like imo ...

Either way, you cannot lose. I grow them both and Love Em!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ok...just ran out....did the rub test on both....it, at least to me tonight, does not have a lemon scent....I really can't place the fragrance - it's a more subtle scent that is not a citrus scent.

great thing about all this swapping- your mysteries have a better chance of being good things LOL

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ran back out again (can you say a tad obsessed?) - and there is a faint "mint-like" scent to it!!!! Yipeeee....Sally's poor plant lives one despite my incompetence.

What will your neighbors think of your late night plant sniffing??
this Agastache has given me a bunch of babies this year. The orirginal were blue but I got some white ones after a few seasons.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ummmm - sadly they think it's "normal" for me...LOL. Compared the leaves to the ones you gave me recently at the swap, Sally....BINGO!!! Are they both from the same plant? If so I'll put these others in the back yard - that way I have them both places. So excited!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.