wild plum ?'s

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

I have just found a treasure in the trees. I've been watching this since last spring, when it bloomed, but the tiny fruits were frozen to death:(. This year, they grew. I could not figure out what they were. They were too short-stemmed for cherries, so peach or maybe plum? It seemed to be a volunteer, as it was growing in a clump with a pine tree, and an oak. Didn't get mowed because of the other trees, I guess.
Well, it's a plum of some sort. I ate the first ripe on yesterday. Good thing I checked yesterday (after a 'possum rescue) just too see how it was doing, as there were several on the ground. They were much smaller than I'd expected, about the size of a ping-pong ball. Color was yellowish, with pink blush, and inside yellow/reddish. It was tasty! Sadly, there are few on the tree, but I'd like to plant more. Two websites say they come true from seeds, the others don't comment. I don't mind trying, just in case.
So, what do I need to do? Plant now? refrigerate til next spring? Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Margo

Baltimore, MD

Wild fruits can be generally grown from seed; you may not get exactly the same plum but it will be similar. They need a period of chilling before germination, something like a month.

If you want to know what kind of fruit it is post a picture. My first guess would be a chickasaw plum.

Scott

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

Thanks, Scott, will do. :)

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Margo, if the fruit are the size of a ping pong, they qualify as huge. The fruit on trees around here are much smaller but the reddish color is more intense when ripe. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/117232/
A word of warning. They tend to form dense thickets. A section of the road leading to the ranch is lined on both sides with these trees/shrubs. A wonderful sight in late winter/early spring and a tasty treat late spring, but if the county didn't shred the area between the fences and the road at least twice a year, the plum trees would have taken over.
http://www.sfws.auburn.edu/samuelson/dendrology/rosaceae_pg/chickasaw_plum.htm

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Wild plums (Prunus americana) are very common in this neck of the woods. If you really want one, you will probably find a hundred root suckers coming up in the vicinity of the bearing plant. Wait until leaf fall, then dig one up and plant it where you want it. Be warned however, that as Bettydee stated, these things send up multiple plants from the root system and will take over any open space. They are as difficult to control as the Cherry Laurel.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Anna, IL

A friend of mine had a wild plum tree with nice sized tasty fruit which I always got for jelly. When he moved 5 yrs. ago I planted seed from his tree. I kept 2 plants. While both were from the same tree the trees are very different from each other. One has long slender drooping branches and the other is an upright studly looking tree. Last year we had the BAD freeze which occurred after all my trees had set fruit. I lost everything including a few trees but in July I drove by the drooping tree and it had a bunch of plums(about 2 gallon) on it. This yr it is again loaded while the studly tree has a few plums at best. It seems that both trees have smaller fruit than the parent tree. But the jelly is great. So, Moral of the story is you don't know what you will get when you plant fruit seeds but it is worth the effort.
RED

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

Thanks Red :) I have lots of room, and not many plums, but I'll plant what I have. Thanks for the encouragement!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.