Help with Stephanotis Seed Pods

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Thinkin' bout cha.

LouC

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha! I wondered where everyone went. I expect you are all in the garden enjoying summer...
I just harvested my steph pod, this is what I found inside.

Thumbnail by Braveheartsmom

The fluff is feather light and as soft as down. I planted some of the seed a couple of days ago but nothing has come up yet. This is what my seed looks like Olu.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Yeah...the Aeclepiad family have those 'feathers' and the seeds float around....very nice. They take a wee bit of time to sprout...keep VERY warm and damp.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Been busy NOT gardening. LOL. Everything else, including rain keeps getting in the way. I have succelents to plant but have to clear a bed of weeds. Have decided to be lazy and instead of digging them up and using preen I am just gonna lay newspaper down. Spring's over, Summer's here and so is my newfound laziness. LOL

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Kids left, and I have had 3 solid days of rain! I too am not gardening, but oh those steph seeds make me think of the "Waltz of the Flowers" in the Nutcracker Suite! Tiny ballerinas floating through the garden. Great pics!

Yokwe,
Shari

Chula Vista, CA(Zone 10b)

Hi Jen great photos and I think you're right. I think that first pod was rotted and there were no feathers. My second and third pods did look exactly like yours and I posted and gave them out. I have one small pod at the end of the branch that is dry like the other good ones but hasn't opened and I have a few people who still want seeds. I hope I can get some more out for them. I'm really glad I waited and left the pods on. My vine got a lot of new leaves and vines especially after the pods turned brown and dry. Thanks a bunch for your help and everyones input. I love that path and your garden. It's got character and don't forget to post pix when it's filling in. I'd be tempted to edge it with kitchen herbs and scented things to give their perfume when you inevitably step and brush past it.
The wings on the Steph seeds were so amazingly soft like my Aurthur's coat. He loves sitting near that vine :)

Thumbnail by olupuailyana

Oh wrong pic. Here he hangs out near the vine.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Beautiful animal. If I didn't have two dogs,would make me want a seal point persian.

LouC

Is that what he is? He was given to me several years ago and I never knew other than maybe a silver backed? Persian. I'll have to look that up. He's wonderful. A real show off. Thanks LouC.

Ilyana

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Of course, from this distance I am guessing. My niece had one and it was the most loving cat I have ever seen.

Aloha Ilyana,

So glad to hear that your seed pod was sucessful, and Aurthur is gorgeous! The fluff on the steph seeds is amazing isn't it? You can see why I put an old stocking over mine - any puff of wind and they would be gone! I only got one pod, even though the vine is very large, the bees must be too busy with the brugs and gardenias. I have another pod forming this year (only one again) - doesn't it take ages for them to ripen?

Thank you for the nice comments on my paths - I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder! They are slightly whacky and off the wall like most everything else around here, but we are happy to have them, and Mom can manage to get safely round the garden by herself now when I am at work.

Morning Christi!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Good Morning. "It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood" quoted from Mr. Fred Rogers.

Christi

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

That it is. :~)

My latest "pink" project. I think it will look a little better when I have something growing behind to hide the shed, and some grass in front...

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Loveit, loveit, loveit.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Jenny - right out of Arabian Nights! I want to lay back and say "Peel me a grape"...it will be gorgeous when you get the plants and grass. You have a wonderful knack for whimsy and practicality...keep it up!

Yokwe,
Shari

PS - Welcome home Christi!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey girl, remember nov. 5, 2007? I will never forget.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

That was a crazy, wonderfull trip! How could I ever forget????

Love you,
S

Thanks you guys - acually it is mickey moused together - I got the frame in the end of season clearance, the netting that I found didn't fit at all, so I cut it all up and attached it to the corners of the frame fabric with velcro - the hammock was my birthday gift. Sort of just mooshed it all together - but it is a great place to read!

mulege, Mexico

It looks very tranquil. And dogs have a hard time getting into hammocks so you probably won't have to fight them for it.

katiebear

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Wish I could Mickey Mouse that well! Just about everything we do out here is done just a wee bit off the norm because we just don't have stuff. No Home Depot, etc. But most of my projects end up looking like Tali did them in pre-school! I think you did a great job Jenny!

Yokwe,
Shari

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

Hmmm! Can I come and take a nap? I grew up napping in a hammock, the kind made out of grass. Hot and humid 3rd world country. How did I ever make it w/o air conditioner?

Stephanotis pods when they have dried and opened on the vine.

Opened Pod.

Very nice clear pictures of your pods! Gosh hasn't your vine grown, it looks beautiful.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.