Last year's crosses, this year's vines/blooms! (Part 2)

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

The first thread is getting too long to load, so decided it was time to start a new thread to continue ...

Go here for the first thread:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/830252/

Just when I thought nothing new could show in the blooms of this vine, I get today's unusual blooms. I say unusual because these blooms are unlike any other blooms that I have seen on this one single vine.

I saw these two together near the bottom of the vine. Look like twins.

Thumbnail by beckygardener

And right next to those blooms you have something much different. Different in size and pattern.

An almost solid bloom showed up today.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Very pretty blooms, Becky!

And finally I saw this little tiny bloom. Too cute!

I have taken so many photos of this vine. I now have many of my new grow-outs starting to bloom, so I was thinking ... okay ... time to move on to different vines. But then I look at all the blooms today on this NOID and my gosh! I just love this vine! I wish it would start producing some pollen, because I want to grow a whole section of my fence with more of this exact vine.

I am crossing some of the blooms with Gourd's cross (Rabenda X President Bush). I like the large showy flowers on her cross and it's also a nice climbing vine as well. The Kawaii cross may turn out really nice, too. I just want to make sure I get some climbing vines from these future NOID seeds.

Honestly ... I don't think I could ever get tired of seeing the blooms on this vine! It ROCKS!!!!

Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

Becky, those are SOO beautiful and thanks so much for sharing all the pictures...Im still waiting as its been such wacky weather here..I have mine sprouting, but havent planted much this season yet. It looks like it will be normal weather for the next while, as I always watch the weather channel..keeping my fingers crossed of course. Which one is this vine??

Thanks sydney! This one is a cross. The mother vine is Lady Laura (Pink Form) X Yuguruma Blizzard (father's pollen). Go to the first post here to see what the parents look like:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/830252/

Can't wait to see your blooms! I hope your weather starts warming up and staying that way! :-)

Looks like the vine is finally expiring. I have been gathering seeds from it. If you would like some seeds, d-mail me and/or post here. I'd love to see what the seeds produce. I'll share until I run out of seeds. :-)

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Gosh, I could just look at morning glory pictures day and night! I didn't realize that a trellis like the one in the photo will work for a big pot. I will try the ones in the fall like that. Lowe's sells them..............glad to know

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i love her photos. they are so pretty

I need to give this vine a name. Hmmm ...

How about "Lady Yaguruma's Kaleidoscope" ? I thought of Kaleidoscope because the daily bloom colors and patterns on this vine changed so much during it's life cycle.

This message was edited Jun 28, 2008 1:26 AM

Gautier, MS

Surprise Becky, tomorrow hopefully I should have my first blooms from seed of Lady Yaguruma Kaleidoscope that you sent me!!

Thanks so much for sharing your seeds with me.

I am anxiously awaiting for tomorrow but so afraid the bloom might get eaten or damaged by rain.

This message was edited Sep 6, 2008 1:43 PM

Thumbnail by helenahkh

Oh! how awesome, Helena! This might be quite interesting! :-) I hope that you are aware that I had to cross that vine to get the seeds I sent you. (Low to no pollen production on the mother vine.) I decided not to keep track of which other MGs I crossed each bloom with, I just crossed them with whatever else was blooming ... so you may get something rather unique or you could get something very much like the parent vine depending on what genes dominate!

And ... if the bloom does get eaten or something happens ... not to worry ... if it turns out anything like the mother vine ... you'll eventually have more blooms than can be pollinated in a single day! LOL! Just be sure to start feeding it Bloom Booster (and fish emulsion - if you can stand the smell for a day). This vine will become a heavy feeder and needs the liquid fertilizer every 2-3 weeks!

The blooms will most likely be smaller ... like 3" or so. The Youjiro gene ... I honestly believe ... tends to display the I. purpurea bloom size. (Youjiro is part I. nil and part I. purpurea MG). Also, the blooms may be different each day. This one will probably throw all kinds of interesting blooms. I did note that on new stems, the blooms were more the darker color and on older stems more diverse lighter colors and patterns. Not sure why.

I am going to enjoy seeing the photos of yours and comparing them to the mother vine. Thanks for growing the Lady Yaguruma's Kaleidoscope! :-) :-)

I am sharing seeds with several others, too, but they won't be grown out until next year. :-) You are the first one to grow this next generation of seeds/vines! :-) Ironically, I have not had luck getting the few seeds I started to germinate. Of course, we've had some pretty nasty weather here, so that may be a factor. Or maybe the seeds are just being stubborn because I want them to grow so badly! LOL!

Gautier, MS

Hi Becky, I did check the vine a couple of times today. I fed it with the bloom booster but not the fish emulsion, still afraid of that mole coming around b/c I planted the vine in the ground. I stuck broken terra cota pot into the ground around the vine to keep any critter from disterbing the roots. I also saw that their is more blooms on the way, so I am happy. I'll be very happy to see what we get.

Gautier, MS

Well, here is the pretty Lady! It seems to be a small bloom but that is ok. Thanks again Becky.

Sorry I messed up on the date for todays pictures. I had to charge the camera batteries yesterday & thought I set the date right.

Thumbnail by helenahkh

Helena - The blooms will change throughout the vine's lifecycle. Interesting first bloom. Not sure yet which cultivar the pollen came from. And yes, the blooms will only be 3" - 4". Keep an eye on all future blooms. It should produce many variations on subsequent blooms as well as lots of flowers! Each seed you received has the high probability to produce a different vine and different blooms. The older the vine gets, the more variations. Don't dismiss this one yet for predictable. It won't be, I can assure you of that! It makes up for the smaller blooms with a flush of daily blooms and will start throwing some really unique colors and patterns on future flowers. My blooms started out looking a certain way and then changed completely. I believe yours will too! Which is what I liked about it. You never know what you will see from day to day!

This is a photo I posted previously, but I want you to see what this vine is capable of!

Gautier, MS

Thank you Becky, I do like it and am looking forward to seeing more of her blooms. Looks like maybe tomorrow there'll be another bloom.

Took this pic a little while ago.

Thumbnail by helenahkh

Helena - Yours is looking like it might be producing mostly true to the mother vine. Which is cool considering that it wasn't producing pollen in most of the blooms! Here is my DG blog page about LYK:
http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/beckygardener/8814/

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Helena...................that is an absolute 'to die for' bloom. GReat! The color is so intense against that very white.

Watertown, NY

I am new to the morning glory forum. I have been growing morning glories for many years, and usually just plant the Heavenly blues that my husband loves so much. This year we planted one a friend gave me. She said it was JMP, purple with red. We where shocked to see blooms like the one in the picture, we have had both the dark pink and purple ones. Today I went out to make the vines since we have volunteer Heavenly blues in with them and discovered we now also have some properly formed one that are purple with red stripes.

Have any of you ever had one that looked shattered? A friend told me she had heard of a feathered MG.

Thumbnail by theraglady

Hi theraglady! Cute user name! :-)

Very pretty! It looks like "Sunrise Serenade" or something similar. These are called Feather/Hige morning glory:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/71223/

It is also an Ipomoea purpurea, which can produce lots of seeds for you! These newer type - "hige" - morning glories can be found in many different colors now. Not sure exactly when they came out on the market, but they have been a hit! Enjoy yours!

Watertown, NY

Thank you

Kittrell, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi Brenda!! So glad to see you on this forum!! As always you will meet the kindest most sharing people here! Welcome to another addiction!!
Melanie

Thumbnail by meag848
Watertown, NY

Thanks Melanie, this along with the brugmansia, Elephant ears, daylilies and hostas. DH says MG are okay since we have lots of fences and they don't take up much room.

We now have to decide if we are going to buy a new house with more land to plant, pull out the in ground pool or just cut back. I say the pool goes.

Gautier, MS

Pretty blooms Brenda & Melanie!

Becky, second bloom from Lady Yaguruma's Kaleidoscope.
It seems to be a little different & I think the blooms a little darker than what my camera shows.

Thumbnail by helenahkh
Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

I love your LYK Helena. Can't wait to see the future blooms.
Melanie, beautiful color blocked bloom.
Raglady, love your feathered bloom.

Meag - Your MG is really pretty! Is that a seed from last year's vines? Pretty cool block pattern on that bloom!

Helena - Your newest bloom on LYK is awesome! I love it! It caught my eye before I even knew it was a bloom from one of my seeds! Very, very unique! Keep posting the daily bloom photos! I am fascinated by how yours is turning out! It looks like a flower within a flower! :-) Lovely!!!

Watertown, NY

I am already looking forward to new MG's I can grow next year. DH is fine as long as we have at least one patch of heavenly blues.

Gautier, MS

Thanks Jackie and Becky. It didn't bloom yesterday but todays bloom has a oval lighter color in between the purple. I hope you can see it, my camera is having a lot of problem focusing on these new blooms with white centers & rings on the center of the blooms. It zooms in & out too many times till it gives me a green light.

I like this bloom a lot. It's really pretty.

Thumbnail by helenahkh

Helena - I like it a lot too! Very unusual. Very striking pattern on those blooms! And a nice contrast with that white! I have problems photographing mine too. I usually just switch my camera option to manual with no flash. I use the close up option too. I don't know if you have such options on your camera. (I try take the photos when the sun is bright enough that they show up nicely without a flash.)

Gautier, MS

Thanks Becky, todays bloom is a little unusual. Don't know what caused it but I think it looks prettier seeing in person.

This message was edited Sep 13, 2008 11:34 AM

Thumbnail by helenahkh
Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Here are some photos of seeds Becky(Gardner) sent me. Just bloomed - had a late start. These have done well considering I had to cut them apart with a scissor --didn't even know enough not to put the pots close together! (live and learn!) Becky if you want me to post the entire name I will - I just don't have the names up here with me at the computer. But I can go back and edit.
Here they are enjoy.
This is "Grey Fog". Very delicate bloom on a strong solid leaf vine. The flower looks like paper and this photo does not do it justice - it is a pale silvery plum grey - very victorian.

Thumbnail by missingrosie

This is Morning Storm - not quite as large as Grey Fog - perhaps about a 50 cent piece size. Solid leaf. Strong sturdy vine. This vine reaches out more than the others.

This is Kaleidescope - this was (is) the puniest vine - small, last to sprout...short.. weak appearing. But the flower is the sturdiest appearing of all of the vines. It has the look of a magnolia - it is 'creamy' and rather thick. It fades far later than the others in the morning. It is the one Becky most wanted to see - and I haven't done it justice with the photo- I will post more than one.

Please blow these up as the colors don't show well until you do. Here's another

and another

The Solid and Blizzard - this was the most unusual leaf. Bluespiral explained it to me -- I won't bore you with the details since I know you all know. But I call it New York Cheesecake because that is what it reminds me of with the 'marbling' (I know I can't rename Becky!!) Anyway, this is one vine where no flower looks the same --as the others do. (so far)..

still another

Last-
I will send others as the blooms come. Becky - do you want me to edit when I get the names?

I placed the names in baggies and attached to the pots.... the rain (Hanna) washed the baggies off --but I am 99.9 percent sure I matched them all up like they were supposed to go.

BlueSpiral was also kind enough to send seeds and I will get those started in the Spring and also try to get some seeds from these. Wish me luck. And thanks to both you ladies for getting me started. I can't wait to get up in the morning to see the surprises.. This morning in the dark the mosquitos ate me alive - but it was worth it! There were twins on Morning Storm that didn't photograph well but they were glorious!

Kittrell, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi missingrosie from another Tarheel in Kittrell!! Aren't these people here just the greatest!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.