Look who FINALLY gets to join in the fun!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Another maiden in my iris beds ...

MDB 'Blue Beret'

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

SDB 'Delicate Pink'

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

AB (arilmed, actually) 'Green Eyed Sheba'

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

SDB 'Auroralita'

Thumbnail by laurief
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Love you drowned rats. We are going to get that rain of yours tomorrow it seems. Zipper looks like a bright MDB. Green Eyed Sheba is lovely red shade. I have no red AB's yet. Concerto Grosso did not make it through the winter.

Vincentown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Laurie...Perhaps if you heavily mulched the transplanted Irises (after the ground freezes), they'd have a better chance against the harsh winters of MN? Just be sure to remove the mulch in a timely fashion in the Spring.

I love the color of this Iris and your photo is great.

Rose

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Rose,

Thank you for the suggestion. I imagine that mulching new transplants over their first winter would increase their survival rate, but it is a strategy that is not in keeping with my survival of the fittest philosophy or long term goal of establishing an iris collection that is hardy enough to survive here without coddling. I don't mulch. I don't treat diseases. I don't spend every waking minute keeping my iris beds immaculately clean of weeds. The irises that grow here are the hardiest of the hardy, and that's just the way I like it. :-)

Laurie

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

(whining.....) I love the color/beard combinations on SDB's!!!!

OK....I need to buck-up and just buy more TB's ---

They are so pretty Laurie!!!

Lakes of the Four Se, IN(Zone 5a)

Laurie, your irises are so beautiful. I especially admire the "drowned rats." They have a special way of "sticking their tongue out at Mother Nature"! I can also appreciate your "survival of the fittest" philosophy. I'm beginning to employ that philosophy in my own garden.

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Great photos--a perfect way for me to eyeball new iris to consider adding to my garden, since growing well in MN is a good indicator for me in WI. My previous additions have done great, and I'm carving out space for more....it's a dangerous road ;0)

Thanks for getting the photos ready & sharing w/ us!

South Hamilton, MA

We put on a winter pine needle mulch. No mulch would be fine if the ground stayed frozen all winter. However it freezes & thaws which causes heaving. Not the plants fault really. If there is rot, they are discarded.

Wainwright, AB(Zone 2b)

All very beautiful Laurie, keep up the great growing!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.