Look who FINALLY gets to join in the fun!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I was beginning to think I'd never see anything bloom here this year. As if northern winters aren't long enough! And then today FOUR of my little lovelies just couldn't wait any longer to show me their stuff.

I've always had the majority of my irises planted in the largest bed in a sheltered area behind the house, but because that bed receives less than optimal sunlight, it's usually about two weeks behind the full sun beds. That's where I've always had my MDBs planted, so they've never started the show here the way I suspected they would if I moved them out front. So last year I took divisions of each of them and planted them in a full sun bed. Good news and bad news. The good news is that I was correct. Three of the four bloomers that started the show today are MDBs in the sunny bed. The bad news is that the sunny bed is so open and exposed that many of the irises in that bed are suffering badly from all of these late (and continuing) freezes. The same irises planted in the protected, less sunny bed behind the house are doing fine. So I get to choose the lesser of two evils - plant them in the full sun bed so that they can get the sun they need to bloom reliably (assuming they survive the unprotected exposure to the elements), or plant them in the minimal sun bed where they can more easily handle Ma Nature's volatile temperament but where they may only get enough sun to bloom and increase marginally. There is no right answer in this climate.

Anyhoo, I digress. Spring has sprung, and I've got iris bloom!

First up, SDB 'Plum Wine'

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

And my old reliable MDBs, reflecting the twinkling in my eyes ...

'Alpine Lake' - With respect to the hybridizer of this little lovely, this really isn't what AL is supposed to look like. It's supposed to have white petals with a light blue thumbprint on each of the falls. Those purple streaks and splashes aren't supposed to be there. They are a manifestation of the repeated freezes to which this poor baby was subjected during stalk development. I will sometimes get to see normal colored flowers toward the very end of its bloom season if temps warm up enough.

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

MDB 'Blue Doll' caught a tiny whiff of RoundUp a few weeks ago. That's why the flower on the far left looks a little bleached. Still a cutie in my book!

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

MDB 'Bit More' never fails to put on a show ... not ever!

Thumbnail by laurief
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Congratulations, Laurie on the arrival of spring to the north country. I have only one MDB so far, but it survived one winter. Maybe it will bloom next year.
Love your minatures!

This message was edited May 25, 2008 8:12 PM

Milwaukee, WI(Zone 5a)

Hi, all of mine are doing great at least the ones the dogs didn't stomp I'm so happy !! I need more !!!.........Sharon

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

I don't even want to talk about dogs trampling thru beds!! I got one stem last year on a newly planted Eagle's Spirit and they broke it before the buds fully formed. I couldn't even get them to open in vase. This year...one lone stalk again....and it bloomed yesterday with about 4 other buds on it. I put supports around it as it was leaning a bit and this afternoon......the stalk was ripped off the rhizome!!! 2 of the buds had opened and were wilting in the sun. The first bloom from yesterday had 2 falls eaten. I'm starting to think I'm going to have to choose between gardening and dogs. /cry

Beautiful blooms as always Laurie.

Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Wow, that round up really does bleach out flowers. Glad to see you got blooms now. Your Aurora Sea MDB bloomed today and I am loving it.

Thumbnail by Mainer
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Wow, Aurora Sea is great. Langbr, there is a great cure for destructive dogs. It is called a fence!

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

oh boy! get to do Spring over ,
Love you Yankees when i all in
you guys let me see it again .
bless you I was going in to iris withdrawal

Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Tazzy, you get us threw tons of snow blues with your early show. Thank you.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Laurie, you're to blame for my newest addiction: SDB Iris. I so enjoyed mine this year. Probably will be adding more. Glad you are finally getting some blooms.

susan

Celina, TN(Zone 6b)

Laurie,
Can't wait to see your iris. All mine are about gone and now I can look at all your beauties. Bring on the show!!!!
Winni

Thumbnail by winnietn
Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

ditto what Tazzy says....bring um on iris lovers !!!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Don't worry, I'll keep posting pics as they bloom. Doesn't look like anything's going to open today, though. It's cool and drizzly, and the irises are tucking up their skirts and hiding from the weather.

Maybe tomorrow ...

Laurie

tapping foot waiting ^_^

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

My foot's been doing a lot more than tapping waiting for iris bloom to start this year! LOL!

^_^

Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

cool? I can't even remember it. It's too hot here to work outside today. the sheltered, shady porch is at 90 with a 70% humidity. At least the butterfly gardens are coming along

Thumbnail by jackieshar
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Two more opened yesterday.

SDB 'Cornhusker Auturm'

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

and my first maiden bloomer of the year ...

SDB 'Wizard of Hope'

Thumbnail by laurief
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Laurie - your SDB pics are always so fantastic. I always envision you laying down on the ground on your tummy to get such good shots! LOL Love Cornhusker Autumn.

Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Love them and it is about time some blooms came your way.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Finally, Laurie. Such pretty little guys, all of them.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

A bunch more opened yesterday, but it was drizzly, so I wasn't able to get decent pics of some of them. Today there's a 50% chance of rain again all day, so I might not have any better luck. But here are some less-than-perfect shots from yesterday.

SDB 'Blueberry Tart' is a maiden bloomer for which I've been eagerly waiting. It's blooming a tiny little flower about 1/4" off of the soil. It also has no increase, so there's a chance of bloomout. Poor little rz had a hard time settling in with dogs, cats, and deer uprooting it several times last summer and fall. Under the circumstances, even this miniscule bloom is an impressive feat.

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

SDB 'Add It Up'

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

SDB 'Being Busy'

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Horrible pic, I know.

MDB 'Invisible Ink'

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

SDB 'Red Heart'

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Another cutie patootie maiden bloomer ... well, sort of. I received this one mislabeled from a trade, and the first time it bloomed last year, it had been hit with RoundUp drift, so I couldn't tell what it was really supposed to look like. The trader was able to provide a tentative, possible ID, but I had to wait to see a normal bloom before I could confirm it. Now I know who this little beauty really is!

SDB 'Tell Fibs'

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

And yet another maiden. This one didn't like the unpleasant weather yesterday and wouldn't fully open, but I couldn't resist taking its pic, anyway. A real little eye-popper!

SDB 'Mikey Likes It'

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

MDB 'Mighty Mouse'

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

'Wizard of Hope', 'Blueberry Tart', and now this maiden. It's a good thing that I really enjoy this particular color combination!

SDB 'Flirting Again'

Thumbnail by laurief
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Love, love, love 'Mikey Likes It'!!!! 'Flirting Again' is a real eye-catcher too!

flirting again is real eye popper

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Just found 4 more for my wish list: Being Busy, Tell Fibs, Mickey Likes It and Flirting Again. I am falling so in love with these little ones.

Susan

Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

For non perfect pictures they are lovely Laurie. They seem just fine to me, it is harder to get good shots on miserable days and you did a great job. Love Blueberry Tart, tell Fibs and Mikey Likes It for different colors combinations. The others are lovely too and how they survive is another consideration. What good is a beautful dead flower?

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Quoting:
What good is a beautful dead flower?

You got THAT right! That's why I've quit adding new TBs to my collection (unless I receive them as gifts). Dead irises just don't do a lot for me. ;-)

I've just downloaded some new pics from my camera, and I'm afraid this batch is even less impressive than yesterday's. Soggy, drippy flowers don't make gorgeous photographic subjects, but at least they still portray bloom color.

I'll add a few more to this thread after I get them cropped and looking as good as possible.

Laurie

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Oh Laurie,

Look at all those beautiful irises, (and photos) How I wish we could grow those beauties here. But, seeing those photos are ALMOST as good as growing them. I really like the last 5 photos. Those are stunning looking irises. What good taste you have!

~ Margie

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

As promised, five more of my little "drowned rats".

MDB 'Zipper'

Thumbnail by laurief

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.