Tall coneflowers

Fort Worth, TX

My yellow coneflowers came back this year and they are really tall but they seem to have lost their "cone". What's up?

Thumbnail by bluesmaven
Fort Worth, TX

Here's one of the clumps in the upper left hand side.

Thumbnail by bluesmaven
Fort Worth, TX

Close up coneless

Thumbnail by bluesmaven
Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

bluesmaven....love'em...'Sunrise'?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Looks good to me, I wouldn't be overly worried.

Fort Worth, TX

I just thought it was strange that they were coneless. They are pretty but they look more like daisies than coneflowers

Fort Worth, TX

Yeah I think they are Sunrise

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

nice looking Sunrise too
=)

Fort Worth, TX

thanks now the cones are showing up. Does that happen? I never noticed before.

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

takes a while before the cone get some height to it and is more defined.....

Paul from Alabama

Fort Worth, TX

cool that makes me feel better thanks!

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Pretty Sunrise. That's on my list to purchase along with After Midnight.

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

At first I didn't know what to make of 'After Midnight'...wasn't sure if I liked it or not, now, I love it.....it was an acquired taste for me

Paul from Alabama

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I like the dark stem of After Midnight. Unfortunately, mine did not make it through the winter. I have to find a new place to plant them though since that spot is taken now.

This picture is right after I planted it last year. I also had mildew problems with After Midnight, but I still want to try it again.

Thumbnail by pennefeather
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Another one? Mine didn't make it either - has anyone's After Midnight overwintered?

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

I had no problem overwintering them....I got 5 of them in the ground and one in a container, all made it....One thing I pinched the main stem on one of them in the ground and it branched out nicely....One thing more, I've pulled 14 coneflowers with aster yellows so far the last week or so....I've pulled up sunrise, sundown, white swan, twilight and harvest moon, but not one Mango Meadowbrite and got a good many of them......don't know what to make of it and all of them might come down with it tomorrow but so far so good.....and Midnight hasn't been infected either now that I think of it.....

Paul from Alabama...

Where are you getting all these infected plants? a local source?

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

dmj......From what I understand the disease is just around, in the environment and the leaf hoppers are the ones who are the "vector" and spread it while chewing on the plants...they move if from one plant to another.....Now you can get infected plants from the nursery but that's not the case with me.....My plants come from various sources, local nurseries and mail order. You can read a blurb I got on my website here....or google it.....It's a heartbreaker I can tell ya that....

http://web.mac.com/sinai/Site/2007.html

Paul from Alabama

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Always makes me wary of having mine planted in the same area, but I did anyway.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I stand corrected.

One of my two After Midnights did make it through the winter. I think that I might have accidently killed the other one. They don't look like the other coneflowers when they are coming up - maybe because of the height. At any rate, I saw a bunch of leaves, but no stems really, which is typical of several of type of weeds in my garden. One group, I definitely pulled up. When I saw the second group, I was puzzled as to what plant it was. It was slightly different from the usual weed, but didn't look like anything that I had planted. I finally decided to let it grow a while and see what happened.

I was just looking at it again, and I'm pretty sure it is After Midnight. Yeah!

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

Al have you seen that disease up your way?

Paul from Alabama

never seen it down here--heat helps I guess

thanks Paul, but I got enough to do to keep up with my own blog =)

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

dmj...."thanks Paul, but I got enough to do to keep up with my own blog =)".....I hear ya......:)

Paul from Alabama

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I've only had one plant that I suspected had it.

Fort Worth, TX

A disease? First my hostas better not happen to my coneflowers!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.