Need advice

Clearwater, FL

I live in Central Florida and I am looking for a tall plant to put at the back of my yard to block the view of the neighbors' houses a bit. We are in a drought and I don't want to have to water a lot. We had some ficus trees planted back there but had to cut them down due to the horrendous root systems. So I want something whose roots will be fairly polite as well. I was considering the white Birds of Paradise but read that their water needs are moderate so they might need some watering. We have reclaimed water but the sprinklers don't reach back there. I was wondering if someone could give me some advice.

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

The white birds may be a good choice as I have some that I don't water at all. The only drawback is the time it will take for them grow large enough to screen off the neighbors. Another similar choice might be the Traveler's Tree, Ravenala madagascariensis. If you orient them properly, their huge fans of leaves will block out the neighbors totally.

Areca palms are a good choice. I like the Traveler's palms too!
If you don't want to wait, why not consider putting up a trellis and letting a vine cover it? Here is one I made earlier... I was doing the same thing, hiding the neighbors....

This message was edited May 24, 2008 10:53 AM

Thumbnail by
Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Are you talking about a 50 foot area or a 10 foot area?

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Good question Carol! If the area isn't too large you might try some eranthemum...they can get quite full - interesting leaf colorations and they aren't too terribly thirsty.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=eranthemum&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

Redondo Beach, CA(Zone 11)

Dutch Lady has some great ideas, but as someone who lived in that area, you CANNOT grow Arecas or travelers tree there, since the temp in winter can get down to the mid- lower 20's!.. maybe Leucospermnum or a hardy clumping bamboo would work. Also, try Oleander or a hibiscus, some look real good on C.FL., the easiest way is to wander the streets of the area, or better yet, go to LEU Gardens, a wonderful garden in C.FL. on Corrine Drive.
Good luck my friend!

Sinking spring, PA(Zone 5b)

You must go to Lukas Nursery or Blodgett's Nursery. They will take care of you. For fast growing, people once often planting camphor trees. Golden rain trees are fantastic, but not evergreen. There are also magnolias, but they do have some maintenance issues. I think you might like a water oak, which matures in only 50 years (fast growing for an oak), or maybe a loblolly pine. If you don't need the height, I always loved winged elm. Anyway, those nurseries are the best- fine examples of good knowledgable people who've been doing this for generations. Lukas is in Oveido on Slavia Road and Blodgett's is in College Park on Edgewater Drive- quite a hike for you either way, but well worth the trip. Good luck!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.