pruning for optimal show for July 5th wedding

Franktown, VA(Zone 7b)

I need some help in the pruning department. I have researched some of my plants that are blooming now and can't find specific information regarding how soon they will re-bloom upon pinching or pruning. I am dead heading all the gerberas, roses, gaillardias, etc. But, for example, I have never cut back the yarrow before in order to re-bloom later. Also, I have just purchased what appears to be the only flat of strawflowers in our area...can I cut off all the blooms and hope they will re-bloom? My last daughter's wedding (also in July) centered around hydrangeas so I hardly had to do anything other than put some fresh mulch around. Now, our colors are in the fuchsia and yellow/gold range and I am trying to optimize what I have already growing in beds, pots and half-barrels. I am willing to cut back as much as I need but how long does it usually take for new blooms to appear...specifically by July 5th.

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Hhmm, well I never get around to deadheading anything so I can't help much with the question. But if I can help you in the yarden or in any other way to get ready for the big day let me know.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I don't know. If I had to guess, I'd cut back June 1 for perennials (that is, cut them back before buds form), June 15 weeks for annuals.

This message was edited May 25, 2008 12:13 PM

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Run out and get you a copy of The Well Tended Perennial Garden. A good bit if it is detailed information about what to pinch or prune and when to get maximum flowers.

http://www.amazon.com/Well-Tended-Perennial-Garden-Planting-Techniques/dp/0881924148

Franktown, VA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the help... I have taken off about half of the heads in question and figure since they look good I'm going to try to dry them. Meanwhile, they may not last til July so what's the harm in trying, right? Regarding the yarrow, since it is supposed to bloom all summer and these same blooms cannot be the ones I'd have in August or Sept., early pruning and pinching may just do the trick. I'll let y'all know after the big do on July 5th.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I completely agree with Hart. I was thinking of that book, but too lazy to look up the title, when I posted.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.