Heuchera Crazy? Pictures of My Heucheras

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Stormy, learn something new every day :) I never knew The Hardy Plant Society had a Mid Atlantic group! http://www.hardyplant.org/index.htm Sounds like it was a great sale...I may just have to check it out next year - you got some really nice Heucheras and what an incredible list of vendors!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Brenda, Which Black Heuchera did you get? I recently aquired Blackout & Obsidian.

RCN, Yes there was a neat assortment of dealers. At Garden Visions, I decided to try 3 low priced epimediums. They had quite a few of the rare ones. And one dealer had only Heathers and heaths. Picked up a few for my shrub bed. But almost every vendor had Heuchera and such Healthy ones!!! Took home a few hosta and ferns too.

Ottawa, Canada

Stormy, it was the unknown black one from Home depot. It was actually labelled Pinot Noir as well. The only one it resembles is Blackout. I will post pics tomorrow of the 2 that I got.

Which hostas did you bring home? I have gotten into those this summer (bad idea lol). Checked the link and that looks like a really awesome sale!

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

I saw Garden Visions on the list, one of the main reasons I'd like to try to make their sale next year - love Epimediums! I've also purchased some things online from Rare Find Nursery and I saw where they were also a vendor - that sale could be real trouble for me! LOL

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

RCN, Yes, I met the owners of Garden Visions & and had a nice chat with them. The same with Rare Finds. At my prior gardens, I had purchased plants from Rare Finds. I wasn't looking for any rare plants, and they were expensive for ordinary ones.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Brenda, I got two minis, Quarter Note & Country Mouse. Very tiny and cute!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

OK, Some more new plants arrived today. They are Heuchera Chocolate Ruffles, Mahogany, Quilters Joy, Eco-Magnifolia, Velvet Night & Heucheralla Sunspot, Strike it rich - pink gem & Tapestry. A Few new Hostas came too. They are Sagae, Undulata Univittata,Great Arrival & Liberty. I was toying with the idea of ripping out the Pachysandra, to help with the vole problem, so now I surely will and replace the ground cover with these.

Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

stormyla,
You just purchased all the heucheras I want to add to my collection. I'm jealous.
I purchased about 25 this year so I think I have to wait to next year. I'm watching some on eBay. I got sashay for .99 but the shipping was steep so the plant cost me 8.24. It is the cutest little thing. I hope it lives.
Debbie

Ottawa, Canada

Stormy, country mouse IS really cute! I think that one may have to go on the list lol. I wish I could get a package like that to arrive at my house, the only packages that ever arrive here are usually dog related (yes my dog is spoiled) lol.

Mahogany is on the list for next year, I managed to replace my Sunspot this year (I had one, but my father not knowing there was a plant there decided to store something ON TOP of it for the winter and it didn;t survive), had a hard time finding it thought but also found strike it rich at the same time, Tapestry may go on the list too.

Great Arrival is stunning, but too big for my garden. I actually built the new bed for Liberty. I had seen it in a fellow dave's member's garden and in other threads but didn;t have the room (or so I thought). Finally gave in lol and am now watching my little Liberty grow.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Here are some photos of the on going planting!

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Trying here to give a little perspective on how big this bed is.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I ripped out all of the Pachysandra growing under this tree, trying to eliminate protection for the voles. So I planted to Hosta Pilgrim and 3 Southern Comfort around it.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

This section of the bed runs across the back of my yard and is about 350' long.

Now I'm, starting on the connecting side bed which is only 150' long. The front part in the center is my sunniest spot, so I've planted about 50 day lilies here. I'm contininuing to mix hosta and heuchera through out.

I have a lot of ferns and white and gold bleeding hearts and fiipendulas and ligularias to add to both sections.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

DSO was feeling sorry for my aching back, so he made this WONDERFUL thing to help me out. It's so funny, every 3rd day I have to clear it off so he can add another feature!! The plants on the bench are divisions of Pewter Veil and Firefly that I bought from a lady on Ebay. There were supposed to be 5 of each, but she sent 16!!!

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

And here are some more to be planted!!!!!

Thumbnail by stormyla
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Stormy, I'm having space envy right now! Wow! Beautiful garden! Connecting side bed is "only" 150' long!? I guess in comparison to your other long bed that is short. Gorgeous! I really love your potting bench. Nice size. My DH made one for me a couple of years ago, now I wish it were bigger.

Thumbnail by staceysmom
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Debbie, You must have got that Sashay from Perfect Plant. Their plants are generally very nice, but it only pays to buy from them if your going to purchase 3 or more plants and even then, they charge $3 per plant. They do get some unusual plants, so I bid on a lot of their auctions at once.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

GayLynn DSO and I are impressed with your Hubby's work. Very pretty!!! DSO has yet to add a drawer and side hooks and racks and yes, a fold down drop leaf!!! Hubby could add one to yours!!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Brenda, how is your foot? My hobbling is getting a little better. I've got lots more Hosta to plant, but am behind on making vole cages. I know what you mean about needing lots of room. I have a whole collection of mini hostas and am not sure if I'm going to mix them in the front of the Heucheras or plant them in two large concrete dish gardens that I bought at auction. I do have a bunch of mini sedum and hens and chicks and could fill the dishes with them. I may winter the hosta over in them and plant them in the ground next year.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Ottawa, Canada

Stormy, my foot healed pretty good. It actually healed faster than I thought it would, haven't really had much pain, but then I have only been wearing really good shoes with alot of support and cushioning. The problem now is that the baby toe and outside of the foot is numb. I haven't gone back to the doctor, procrastinating on that one lol.
It was painful throwing out all my flipflops and flats though! I haven't attempted a ladder yet so most of what I wanted to get done on my holidays didn't get done. I did get the gardens finished and mulched.

Your beds are gorgeous as is the potting bench. I just got rid of my old one (it wasn;t sturdy enough to hold anything anymore) so your husband can send one my way lol.

Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

Stormyla, your gardens are absolutely beautiful. All your hard work has really paid off. I think your gardens should be on a garden tour. Your garden bench is wonderful- I wish my husband would build one for me. Your are right about Perfect Plant-that is where I purchased Sashay, Snow Angel & Paris. In the last couple of weeks I've added Mahogany (my favorite), Encore, Tiramisu, & Bronze Wave. I hope they make it through the winter.
Debbie

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

You ladies are WAY too kind!!!! They are FAR from show beds. The back of them still needs a lot of work, especially the hill where the voles and groundhogs live. I have a lot of plants ready to go in there, but don't want them getting torn out or root eaten. I'll be putting down another round of poison today.

I made a mistake, the big bed is 250' long and the side bed is 150' long. The connecting corner is 40' deep. The outside corner is bone dry and windy and none of the sprinklers routinely reaches there. So I just planted some Montauk Daisies there. Hope I don't live to regret it!

Brenda, that's great news about your foot! DSO laughed when I told him you all wanted his potting bench!!!

Well, that's it! I have about 30 more Heuchera to plant and then I'm done with them for the season. My Paris are so small, they may have to winter in sunken pots.

Now to finish up on the Hosta, I have about 25 to plant, not counting the minis. Then I'll add the bleeding hearts and ferns and a few other shade lovers.

The sunnier bed has a whole host of things yet to be planted. I THOUGHT that I was going to get to work on my edging this fall. We'll see!!!!!!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Ok, Heuchera Lovers, I am in love with the colors of this Georgia Peach.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Everyday they are taking on more beautiful colors. This Creme de Menthe looks different in each different spot that I've planted it

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Carmel is changing so much.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Had to do a mad dash in from the rain just after I snapped this one. I didn't get time to check it's name.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Great colors stormyla... I think they are as beautiful as the trees in the fall.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thank you, Pluto. I'm beginning to think you are right!!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

That unnamed one is Peach Flambe.

I love this Pinot Gris.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Newly planted Mahogany really adds color to the bed.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Tiramisu is started to get the red veins.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Doce Creme Brulee is showing multiple hues.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Autumn Bride is just full of blooms.

Thumbnail by stormyla

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.