Bluestone's 1/2 off sale....

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

hart was kind enough to give the head's up last year so I thought I should do the same....have fun!!!

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Thanks Chantell, I have been looking in the newspaper, after this sale they open the sale up to those that can get to them in person. I hope to get most of my planting done this weekend, weather is to warn up. Then Bluestone will help me fill in the gaps.

Chris

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Oooh, golly. :-D

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh oh.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Yeah....just when you thought it was safe....

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

My hubby will kill me if I buy something else. What to do? what to do?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Sales like this are a great chance to buy plants as gifts... say, for your MIL. Of course, one or two plants for your garden may just happen to "fall into" your online shopping cart before you hit the checkout button...

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

And of course, many of the Bluestone plants come in threes. Your MIL might not really want three plants, and you really wouldn't want to compost the rest!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Oh, good point!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Jen - So telling him how much you end up SAVING wouldn't work for ya?

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Keep in mind y'all that they don't update plant availability in this sale. I'm not getting any this time - blew all my plant money LOL - but I've never yet gotten everything I ordered from one of these Bluestone sales.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Hmmm...bet if folks ordered earlier on that it would be better. They had everything I ordered last year...I was thrilled!!

Fredericksburg, VA

I have already had my first order from them delivered. Next...

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

I placed an order earlier today when I saw this thread. I hope they have the plants because the prices were great. I just looked at my email and have not yet received a confirmation.

Fredericksburg, VA

Second order PLACED! Got some of this and some of that...
I had not seen these before. CAMPANULA trachelium Bernice

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Pamgarden: I got a confirming email instantly -- so if you didn't get one, you should double check that your order went through -- and I'd call to confirm. I think if plants are sold out, you aren't able to put them in your "cart" generally.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Happy, I've been able over the past four sales or so to put several things in my cart that turned out not to be available. This is only during these clearance sales. Normally anything that isn't available is marked sold out and you can't put it in your cart.

I do think it helps if you order early, but last year I ordered within just a few hours of the sale starting and still had things I wasn't able to get.

I think things go really fast with these sales. Something that is available when the sale starts might be sold out in an hour.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Chantell-Nope, the only thing that worked is when I did an early season order and they attached it to the order placed in the fall, so when I received the plants told him "oh... I ordered these last year" hee hee

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ok...little late BUT for next year Ladies - simply say....nah, nothing "right now for mother's day...I'm going to make it REALLY easy for you!! Just put aside the amt you'd spend - I'll take care of that last week in May!!" I know it's a sacrifice but....well we're giving like that.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Is the Bluestone sale always the last week in May?

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Sorry for my ignorance: Whats blue stone?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/index.html

Have fun!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I used the Longwood trip as an excuse for Mother's Day.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/850074/

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

More temptations...how do I resist???

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Well I'm so bad, I just went there and spent 70.00 bucks, although 10.00 of that was for shipping......

I can't stop myself.... I've already gotten so many new plants this year. 400.00 total so far...

New flower beds going in so of course I need plants to put in them...LOL

thanks for the heads up. Some of the deals were great because you get 3 plants. So I'm receiving 19 plants for that total. I don't think that is bad....

This message was edited May 24, 2008 6:51 PM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

It's not. Their plants are on the small side, but they tend to be so healthy & vigorous that they catch up to the trade gallon containers sold in nurseries by the end of the first season. I've ordered from them a couple of times and been very pleased!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I agree with Critter. Plus, I overwatered some of their plants last year right after receiving them -- I didn't pay attention and stupidly killed them before I had replanted them (warning -- the soil mix they use is very absorbent). I explained this to them in the context of suggesting they caution buyers that the soil mix is highly absorbent (realizing how dumb I had been not to check), and they replaced the whole batch that had died -- even though I explained it was entirely my fault. So I'm now very loyal to them. Their shipping prices are unusually low, too. Plus I think the maximum shipping charge is about $18.

Fredericksburg, VA

I have ordered 5 times, and have been very very happy with the plants and the service. I don't think there is a better on-line provider.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I love them, I ordered from them a few times. Some things that didn't make it over the winter they replaced immediately after I e-mailed them.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

This is so refreshing to read that this company really stands behind their plants.

I can't wait till mine come.

Janet

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7b)

I have ordered from Bluestone a couple of times and most of my plants have done very well, but I did lose some. It was my fault--they dried out from lack of water. This year, I ordered some more of their mazus (ground cover) and herbs (sage, lemon verbena and parsley) and they are all doing fine, though the parsley is sort of sparse and hasn't grown much yet. Blame the weather.

Thanks for the notice, Chantell!! I'll take a look, but I already blew my pockets out on roses recently.....

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ohhh roses!!! You and Becky should talk!!!

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Janet- Meadowyck, If the gas wasn't so expensive you could take a day trip up there; north 271, east 91 get off at Madison, go north, not hard to get to but get directions off internet as you have to do a bit of a jog through town.
It is quite the place, and when you go you can buy just one plant to try, they let you separate them. I usually take a pair of scissors with me to cut the 3 packs apart. And if you have questions there is always someone working that will stop what they are doing to chat, or sometimes they just chat and work at the same time lol.
Chris

This message was edited May 25, 2008 8:20 AM

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7b)

Ohh??? I am not alone on the rose bust? I will find out more!! Thanks again, Chantell!!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I was thrilled when hart gave the head's up last year...just wanted all my DG buddies to get first dibs this year!!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

ladygardener1, how I wish gas would come down, as we had to cancel vacation plans due to the gas going to cost more than the vacation... we were driving cause I was taking my oldest collie (13 1/2 ) with us and we have so much landscaping to do around the house that we felt we could have more for our money by staying home and using the money for the new flower beds.

Believe me "Should" gas come down I will be putting that site on my radar for a visit.

Thanks so much for the insite about the business. Sounds like a great place to go and get lost in and to dream of what plant would work where in the garden.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the heads-up. I just ordered aquilegia 'lime sorbet' and viola 'white czar' to add some white accents in the shade garden. I'm hoping the viola will spread into a nice ground cover. I also found something interesting - a cross between a heuchera and a tiarella, called heucherella - going to give this a try too. Half price sure adds up the savings! So glad to have found this forum ... terri

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

My order came today to my post office as requested. It was beautifully packaged. The viburnum blue muffin was tall enough that it was carefully folded over in the packing material, as was a not quite so tall clematis, Guernsey Cream. They were in perfect condition. I also got the clematis Josephine. The ajugas were in a 3-pack and of course had already flowered but it was obvious that they had increased in size. Everything was so healthy. They also slipped in about a half dozen plant tabs. The whole order including the shipping was a little more than $40 at their sale prices. Thank you Chantell for letting us know. This company deserves its place in the DG top 30.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ahhhh so glad you were pleased!!! Always nice to get a price break and if you've not ordered from them it's an especially good time to "get your feet wet." God love em' their packing is great, isn't it?

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

I received my order on Thursday and everything was neatly packed with the peanuts. They also will give you credit should you send back the box and peanuts to them. Which is what I'm doing. I also was a bad girl and went an placed another order.

most of my plants where in need of water and when I said something in pasting to them when I placed my 2nd order they responded with a fast e-mail that should they not perk back up with a good watering to let them know and they would replace them. Now how is that for customer service. 1st rate as far as I'm concerned and I'm a hard one to please...

All of my plants were way larger than I really expected to receive. Most of the plants today are starting to revive so I'm hopeful they will over come the trip.

They are here in Ohio so I'm checking to see how long of a drive, but then maybe I shouldn't as I would have to be saving...

This half off sale was excellent way to be introduced to a new supplier. I've never purchased plants on line and the previous company the plants were not good and they all died plus they were very small. I will say that wasn't a good intro to ordering plants on line. (I will say this that once I e-mailed the other company they are re-shipping my order but the size of the plants aren't worth ordering from them again, when I can get wonderful ones from Bluestone.) Then Bluestone and wow what a difference.

Here is what I ordered: (keep in mind I'm setting up new flower beds so that is the reason for the big order, LOL)

Euphorbia Tasmanian Tiger (this is an excellent plant to add interest to the bed)
Heliopsis Bressingham Doubloon
Heuchera Amber Waves
Heuchera Regina
Lamium Pink Pewter
Rubeckia hirta Maya (just a wonderful plant)
Sagina Subulata
Viola Etain (it is starting to bloom now, so creamy yellow)

Second order:
Euphorbia Tasmanian Tiger (I really loved this one so much from my first order I had to have another....)
Aquilegia Lime Sorbet
Brunnera Jack Frost
Centaurea Montana Gold Bullion
Cimicifuga Racemosa
Echinacea Purpurea
Echinops Arctic Glow
Gaillardia Tokajer
L:ysimachia Punctata Golden Alexander
Mazus Reptans
Persicaria Lance Corporal (Had to have this since years ago I was once a L/C in the Marines)
Polemonium Apricot Delight
Tradescantia Andersoniana Osprey

and that is it.

I've already received notice that the 2nd order will be shipped out next week. Can't wait.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.