Desert Lawn

Carrollton, TX

I need some help. The young man in the photo is my youngest - on his second tour in Iraq. He's decided he wants a lawn and flower bed on the base (FOB Prosperity). Dad has now been commissioned to ship grass and flower seed and garden implements.
So...I ask you Southwest Gardeners....what grass can be grown from seed in very sandy soil that might have a chance of living thru an Iraqi summer? He's confiscated a hose and says water isn't a problem.
What about flowers for direct sowing that might have a chance?
Any insight, advice or guidance would be appreciated.

Thumbnail by john5257
Cochise, AZ(Zone 8b)

Zinnias should grow. Dmail and address and I will send seeds to you! I have some left from planting yard for SIL who is in Korea. He on the other hand wants no grass!

Phoenix, AZ

Bless his heart! My son did a tour of Iraq.
I don't know what would grow in that God forsaken place?

Please thank your son for his service ♥

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

Wow. I would love to give advice here but I haven't a clue. Zinnias and Marigolds would be my advice. I am very proud to say that I just played in a golf tournament at Shalimar in Tempe where we all collected stuff for "Packages from Home". Lots of things on our boys want list was collected. My hubby who doesn't even play golf spent over $100 dollars on the number one thing on their list, cooling neck tie. He bought it at Granger and they told him if management was there they would have given it to him for free, knowing where they were going.

God bless you all troops.

This message was edited May 21, 2008 8:03 PM

Oracle , AZ(Zone 8b)

Hey John, You might send him some petunia seeds. They are pretty hardy in the heat and the colors can't be beat. That awful wind we've been having here lately hasn't slowed my petunias down a whit. If he can get bermuda grass started it'll take over the country...... If it gets some water that is. A bit of lawn and some brightly blooming flowers will prove to be a real moral booster for everyone. Way to go!!!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Still new to all of this gardening stuff but if someone says a seed and I have it we will send it to you for him! I also have a 3 and 5 year old who would love to do pictures if you let me know what he likes- we can do flowers, bugs, houses...let me know!! I was sent to Kyrgystan for 6 months after my daughter turned 7 months old so I really know how hard it is for those leaving families and am in full support of those who are doing more than I ever had the b@lls to do!!!

Freedom is not free- someone has to make the sacrifice and it's up to the rest of us to give them all they need!!!

Phoenix, AZ

Thank HIM for planting the seeds of Liberty and Freedom!

Carrollton, TX

Wow! Thanks for the suggestions and your comments....keep em coming.
Sounds like the first package is going to be Petunias, Zinnias and Marigold seeds along with a shovel.
Plain old Bermuda grass?

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Shoot, I can't get the bermuda outta my flower beds!! Not sure about sand though so didn't suggest it.

Dewey, AZ(Zone 8a)

I think plain old bermuda grass is the best bet, since that is what is recommended for our hot summers here.

Here is a list of both annuals and a few perennials that do exceptionally well in hot, dry conditions:

Moss rose (portulaca grandiflora), ornamental purslane (Portulaca umbraticola), million bells (Calibrachoa), summer snapdragon (angelonia), annual vinca (Catharanthus roseus), blanket flower (Gaillardia grandiflora), Mexican hat (Ratibida columnaris), Mystic Spires blue salvia (Salvia longispicata x farinacea), Red Celosia (Celosia spicata), Red Apple iceplant (Aptenia cordifolia), Bougainvillea, Purple fountain grass (Pennisetum setaceum), Lantana, Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis), Four o' Clocks (Mirabilis jalapa), Canna lily, Red Bird of Paradise (caesalpinia pulcherrima), ornamental peppers, Globe Mallow (Sphaeralcea munroana), Hardy Hibiscus.

Hopefully this will get him started!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

As everone else has said, thank him for his service to our country! I'm thinking he's going to have to amend that soil.. maybe they can start composting there. Roses grow well in the desert...

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

The ice plant and the rosemary are good ideas. What about datura?.....oh maybe not. ;~} Red hot chili peppers? I've only grown them from plant starts but they love the heat, and they are edible. Any variety of Chiltepin do really well, and keep coming back each summer.

As others have said, freedom is not free, thank him for his service for me.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Chris' list is a very good one. I do agree that bermuda grass will work in that area.
If your son decide what he would like, I would be glad to send him seeds along with our thanks for
evrything he and his buddies are doing for us. My GD wrote several letters to soldiers in Iraq and Afganistan and I am sure she would love to send him a letter with pictures made by her.
God bless him and all our brave soldiers.

Mesa, AZ

That is a great list Stephanotis! I would vote, for ease of growing from seed, for the blanket flower (Gaillardia grandiflora), Mexican hat (Ratibida columnaris), Globe Mallow (Sphaeralcea munroana) and Four o' Clocks (Mirabilis jalapa).
I would also second the bermuda, the Bob Sod discussed in another thread would probably do just dandy.

John- if you dmail me an address, I would be proud to buy packets of these seeds and send them to you for him. :)

Please, let him know how much we appreciate his service and sacrifice. If there is anything else he needs to make it a smidge nicer over there we would appreciate the opportunity to assist!

Susie

Yucca Valley, CA(Zone 9b)

I hate to put a damper on such a worthy cause and especially since I am new here, but if the sand in Iraq is anything like it is here in the High Desert, there is absolutely no nutrients in the soil nor does the sand hold water. Soooo ... he is going to have to amend the soil. Does he have access to purchasing soil amendments? Or making a compost pile? How about container gardening?

I too would like you to thank him for his service to our country. I live in a nearby town to the 29 Palms Marine Base and am very supportive of our troops.

Tucson, AZ

John - Next time you see you son give him a pat on the back for me.

Grasses - I've had really good luck with my buffalo grass and I havent had to water the stuff with sprinklers yet. All it gets is water from the washing machine.

Flowers - Have you though about sending him some wildflower mixes or are you looking for specific types?
http://www.plantsofthesouthwest.com/

On a side note - the soldiers love getting care packages from the states and you can get boxes from the post office just for this purpose. My daughters God Father and and two of my nephews are stationed over their and every once in a while we will send a box filled with goodies like beef jerky (their all time favorite) and hard candies (2nd all time favorite) and anything else we can find and stuff into the box. They also love i-tunes gift cards. Find somebody with a loved one or a friend over their and send a care package. You have no idea how much it means to them.

Phoenix, AZ

John, I think cactus1000 has a good point regarding the sand/soil issue. So what we grow here - even though it's hotter than blazes - might not grow there. Is your son in a position to scout out the area to see what is growing nearby? I think he may have a greater chance of success if he picks some plants that are already acclimated to that environment. That said, I agree that Bermuda would probably grow in H3LL so should do well in Iraq.

Best wishes to your son for a safe return home. And soon.

Here is a link to an article all about Bermuda Grass. Looks like it is going to take a lot of water in desert conditions as it tends to go dormant under high heat. But ... I think it can be done. Main thing is to supplement the soil with nutrients.

http://plantanswers.tamu.edu/turf/publications/bermuda.html

Oh ... one more thing ... does he have a lawn mower?

Cactus

(Note: I had to put the 1000 after my name as someone already had my name when I registered. You can just call me Cactus.)

Goodyear, AZ(Zone 9a)

Welcome Cactus!

I say nix on the grass it won't grow! How about the fake turf that looks to darn real you can't tell till you touch it???

Thank you Kathi.

I wonder how many square feet of grass he wants? I was thinking about the fake turf too. There are absolutely no "real" grass lawns where I live. There is one house that I know of that has the fake turf. Looks pretty good to me. Potted plants present a problem here too unless they are very large pots because the sun just beats the heck out of the sides of the pots until the plants just wither and die from the heat. The reverse is true in winter ... the freezes get 'em.

Carrollton, TX

A bunch of good ideas!
All of your comments will be forwarded - I know he enjoys hearing people respect what he's doing regardless
of their political leanings.
I'm expecting pictures this weekend of the "plot" and the work they've done so far.
He's apparently recruited a bunch of help - he's gonna need it since they'll be trimming the grass with scissors.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

LOL!!! Think they can buy a goat? Of course it would eat the rest of the plants...out of ideas sorry! ;-)

I had Rose color a picture and tried to explain in 5 year old term that some people have to leave their families to fight for our country. She was too small to remember me being gone. I don't think she understood the fighting for freedom but sure did get the leaving their families and was tickled pink to make them feel better! Kids are so innocent!

Gilbert, AZ

My parents live east of Yuma and like Iraq, they have sand with absolutely no real dirt. The bermuda grass has done very well. What they've found gardening in sand is that you can't just lay the hose out to flood water --- the water just goes straight down instead of out in a puddle. Sprinklers on a hose work well. Is it possible for us to send you son plants or is it just seeds that can be mailed? God Bless you son and all our boys over there.

Phoenix, AZ

I know artichokes prefer the sandy conditions of Seaside CALIF. Best artichokes in the land.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

....trimming the grass with scissors... OMG, that is so bad. I guess it's going to be a small plot then. :~}

Thinkin' on this.....

Scottsdale, AZ

I believe FOB Prosperity is at Saddam's former palace & grounds, which were relatively lush.... not a sand dune in the middle of the desert. So maybe there's opportunity for grass.

Here's an overhead view:

http://maps.google.com/maps?t=k&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=33.302879,44.408734&spn=0.012751,0.022573&z=16

Phoenix, AZ

Sirjonny,
You're kidding?

Carrollton, TX

The plot they're working on is 16 x 25.....
A sprinkler is on the shopping list for this weekend....

Prosperity is at one of the palaces - Aaron's office is in one of the bathrooms of the palace (minus the fixtures!)
This is the palace that has the three giant Saddam heads on the grounds.

I've contemplated trying to send plants - Chocolate survives the trip pretty well - but I don't think live plants would. I'm sticking with seeds unless anyone has ideas on keeping plants alive for 2 weeks in a Flat Rate Box.

Scissors to cut the grass? Could be a good stress reliever...

Mesa, AZ

I can just see them, having a contest for whose section has the grass trimmed to the exact measurement required, i.e. 1.5 inches!!! On the knees and tummies, ruler in one hand, scissors in the other.... LOL!

Susie

Hey- a goat on a short rope, tied to where the grass needs trimming might be helpful. Just keep him out of the flowers!!!

Susie

Dewey, AZ(Zone 8a)

Dormant plants would survive the trip, I think? Look how long those rhizomes and bareroot plants sit around the stores waiting to be bought.

Mesa, AZ

Went to Baker's at lunch. They now have 3 hummer nests going!!! Saw Jim and he was kind enough to point them out. Such a helpful and sweet man (read - enabling!). However, I did pick up a whole bunch of seeds to send over. Left them in the dang car, but will post what they are when I get home tonight. All love full sun, bloom all summer long, are red, orange, white, or yellow.

Susie
(Oh ya, got 2 nice big pumpkin plants for the grandkids, an 'unknown' vining type vegetable and another really cool colored leaf plant whose name escapes me... :) )

Phoenix, AZ

Wonder if Dete wants to introduce some plumies to the area? He's done very well in this desert!

Mesa, AZ

I bought-
Rudbeckia "Goldsturm"
Mexican Sunflower "Torch"
Zinnia "Persian Carpet" Thought this was kinda ironic, considering
Zinna "California Giants"
Marigold "African Crackerjack"
Agastache "Sunset Hyssop"
Sunflower "Moulin Rouge" what a color!
Helenium "Red and Gold Shades"

Will be mailing them out tomorrow. They are all oranges/reds/yellows and a couple mixed pink Zinnia, so I thought they would be nice and bright against the foliage.

Susie

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Good job Susie. I'll have to find some seeds too, you've inspired me! They will have a Southwest Gardening garden. ^_^

Carrollton, TX

My first box is going out today -
Bag of Hybrid Bermuda seed and a bag of lawn starter fertilizer.
Sprinkler and a hose end sprayer.
Pruner and small shovel.
2 bags of Glad bulbs and 1 bare root liatris.
Seeds - Purple Cone Flower - Ice Plant - Four O Clock - Calif Poppy - African Daisy and Moss Rose.
Then I threw in two different kinds of Peppers.

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Bermuda is always the preferred grass for sandy desert. But I hope they bring him home so he can have a patch of grass here!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

I've got seeds for Parry Penstemon that might do well... if we start another box I could throw those in!

What is the result? Did he build the garden?

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

John, I just sent off a small package to your son. Sunflower seeds, California poppy, some kinda bean, the Dynamite fertilizer I got as a free sample being a DG'er and some Messenger, another kind of fertilizer.

Roadrunner, if you are checking this thread I also sent him some of the gourd seeds you so generously gave me: dancing gourd and bird house. Those should be fun. I think that was it.

Whew! busy week for this kid and that errand was the last one on my list for the week. Time for a shower (Aguane, you would NOT want me to skip this one, maybe tomorrow's :~} ) and a cool adult drink.

Carrollton, TX

The garden is still in process....
My first box went out last weekend. Boxes and letters take up to 10 days...so for now they're just playing in the dirt.
His last report was that they've laid a tile path thru the plot and plan on trying to do veggies on one side
and lawn and flowers on the other.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.