Bright Star

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I had argued with a plant seller last week that had a plant listed as 'Rudbeckia Bright Star' with her claiming it was listed as interchangeable between echinacea and rudbeckia for that cultivar.
To me there are no purple rudbeckia so it's obvious it's an echinacea, but today I find this tag in one. I know what it is, but isn't this confusing?

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

I ain't never seen nothing in gardening more confusing....that's plum weird...... Getting Allan Armitages new revised edition of Herbaceous Perennial Plants - A Treatise of Their Identification, Culture and Garden Attributes - 3rd edition....Al we'll straighten this plant seller right out when I get my copy.....:) but seriously ain't never seen that.....Heard of rudbeckias called coneflowers as a common name in old literature but that's all......

Paul from Alabama

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

not going to do a bit of good for newer gardeners trying to learn, but confuse them even more--on the back of the tag, is there a name of the company with the patent? Al, you should email them with the picture of the tag

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

No further info on the back. Most likely these tags came with the plugs they got. Still somewhere along the line this should have been caught as not making sense.

yep--someone must have just missed it when tags were delivered

Deer Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

The tag is from the John Henry Company...can tell by the tag style and partial logo at the bottom...don't know if this is an old tag from a grower's inventory or if JHC has corrected it on a newer version tag or not.

Ed

Assonet, MA(Zone 6b)

Edder it amazes me that someone could come up with such obscure info, and so fast ! It's as though CSI has joined with DG. lol

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

The USDA plants database lists Brauneria and Rudbeckia as synonyms for Echinacea... maybe an old-timer writing the tags, or just trying to cover all the bases sales-wise?

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=ECPU

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

This thread is starting to resemble an episode from the Twilight Zone......:)

Paul from Alabama

Deer Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

daiseycat....well...the reason I know this is because I'm a grower and use JHC's tag products...but, haven't paid much attention as of late to this particular variety tag...sometimes depends on which company is supplying the plant tags...

Ed

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

edder may I ask what all you grow?

Paul from Alabama

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Ed.

I can see how the foliage would resemble a rudbeckia fulgida, but the flower color still wouldn't fit. It's in my coneflower bed now so we'll see how it compares to other purples.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Well, That just ain't right and we all know it!

I, for one, am "dying" to see that bright star in action UpNorth Al--be sure to post us a picture.
=)

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

I was reading today that echinacea was originally included in the genus Rudbeckia and is closely related.......

Paul from Alabama

Deer Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

PaulFromAL....just click on my profile name and it'll lead you to my info and everything else...then you can see what it is I do and have...

Ed

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

Ed....nice site, you got about everything....thanks..

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Ed, thanks for sharing your knowledge with us.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.