several plants rooted in 10perlite/1peat, now what?

Santa Cruz, CA(Zone 9b)

I've rooted 4 cuttings per pot into 4" pots of 10part perlite and 1 part peat. Fhew.. hope that makes sense. I'm worried that when I try to seperate these babies to pot up, the roots will be injured by the perlite in theprocess. This is the first time I've tried this particular medium for cuttings and it seems to have worked well, but now what do I do? I've got Ascarina, abutalon, salvia, and hebe. Any advice?

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

well i do know the hebe will root in jsut about anything. i have tons of hebes and they do really well.you can start them in part sand part dirt if you like. your babies need to be out of direct sun so they dont fry.

Johns Island, SC

I think if you just sink the pot with the cuttings in a bowl of water (and I mean sink), the whole root mass usually will just float out of the pot. It's then pretty easy to tease the cuttings/seedings apart in the water without much root damage. I just gently shake the plants apart by wiggling their stems. I know that's a no-no, but it works for me. They usually cling to enough perlite to make them easy to pot up.

Santa Cruz, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks that gives me a little more confidence. I've potted up a couple already and wish I's known about the water trick before. They all seem to be doing alright though. Thanks for the tip.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.