A New May Blooms Thread

Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

Hi All ..... our other thread was getting huge! So we are coming from here ..... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/846924/

The discussion will continue on about posts that were made on the previous thread .......... such as..........

Diane that green violet you posted is a stunner, I love it!! So delicate and beautiful with it's blush of green to the petals!! Do I need a green blooming AV?? Hmmm, after that picture I think I do!! LOL Everyone is so great in trying to help you ID it!!

Roll up the Kohlerias, huh? Nancy I remember seeing that on Rob's too but it had not even crossed my mind that it would apply to my poor plants. I have a really, really long Mother Lipstick that has never bloomed for me, I'm thinking she shall be my first victim...er...practice plant. LOL

A picture to start the new May thread off with....Bristol's Gum Drop.

~Brenda

Thumbnail by bmedel
Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Wow that is a beautiful plant.... You grow Girl.... Ok I have to get back to working on my self... this part I am not looking forward to..LOL
Hugs,
Susan

Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

Lin your ric rac cactus looks awesome and the bloom is going to be awesome too I bet!! Your gessie seedlings are looking really good, some sinningias and I think a chirita tamiana or two also. The front left one, hmmm, my guess is Cilantro!! LOL

Susan your double poppies were gorgeous and I'll be waiting to see that bloom on Cherry Roulette!! I have a great trade in the works and I'm going to end up with a leaf of that one and I am so excited!!!

I have plenty of gessie work and plant stand clean up I could be doing BUT for the first time this entire year we have had a few days with temps in the 60's and then yesterday it hit 70 and today it is supposed to be in the 70's again!! Yippee!! My snow is melting so fast it's amazing and I am ready to work on getting started with my container garden for my little back deck!

This picture shows everything I drug out from my garage yesterday in anticipation of an outside work day! I used the "panoramic" ability of my camera so you can see the whole deck and all I have to do! LOL

I bet most of you are outside today too! Enjoy your weekend!!

~Brenda

Thumbnail by bmedel
Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Bristol's Gum Drop is really pretty.

(Zone 1)

Oh my gosh, that is amazing to see Snow on the ground in mid May!! I guess Idaho is a very long way from Florida! Here we've been at 93, 94 and above a couple of days! These high temps are way unusual for this time of year. Our normal for mid May is low to mid 80's! I sure hope it's not a sign of what's to come for June, July, August and September when it's always hot! I might just want to take a vacation to Alaska for late summer! LOL.

This is the time of year when everyone is doing weekend gardening projects! I thought about mowing the lawn today but will probably wait until Monday or Tuesday. We sure are dry, dry, dry down our way. If anyone has any extra rain they could share, we sure could use some!

Well, I'm gonna go feed a cat ... she's talking to me and wanting her lunch! Have a good afternoon everyone!

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

Beautiful strep Brenda!

Rob's Galiwinku is blooming away for me.

Thumbnail by jannich
Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Nice plant Jannich! Is that a trailer?

I was surfing the web looking at Streps and found one I would LOVE to have.Called Bristol's Petunia! Really did look like petunias - Beautiful! Has anyone ever seen that one for sale anywhere?

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Gorgeous photo Brenda! I do love the deep purple streps. Anyone have a Texas Hot Chili blooming? I'd love to see a pic!

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

I'd like to see a pic of that one too! Almost purchased it a couple of times.

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Sure is quiet around here today....

Charlotte, NC

I got a few seeds down this afternoon before he rain blew through these parts. Perhaps I can contribute to some "May Blooms" threads in 2009 :)
Steptocarpus candidus
Streptocarpus eylesii
Sinningia sp. Rio das Pedros
Sinningia 'Maidens Blush'
Sinningia 'Dollbaby'

Alright, I can't leave a post here without a pic so...
Episcia 'Edge of Night' has two blooms right now.

Thumbnail by MullettMan
Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Here is a picture of one that opened for me today... Anyone know what it is? I am having puter problems so many not be on as much... I will use my husbands computer after this as the battery is draining on the laptop... Brand new computer and the power pack is dead.. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr LOLOL I think this flower is beautiful...
Hugs,
Susan

Thumbnail by TurtleChi
( Kim) Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Susan
What a great picture and the color is like it jumps right out at you That is just great it is sooooooooooooooooooooo very pretty One of these day I will have some bloom
Feeling better than last night?
Huggs
Kimmy

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

WOW The color on that one is vivid Susan!

I was reading on Rob's instruction site about Streps that you should re-pot when it gets it's first bloom. What does everyone here do?

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Forgot to say- Nice Episcia MM!
Mine always seem to get leggy. I going to try them in a different location with different light and see if that fixes it.

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks all.. I am still on my puter as it has it says a hour of power left... I love that flower and I don't repot until I think it needs it and that one does not. I was in a really good mood Ms. Kim until my laptop went dead and I had to call good old Dell and stay on hold forever... They are sending me a new power charger for the laptop..
So we don't know what that flower is called? Shoot I was hoping for a name... Oh well maybe next time...LOL
Ok off to watch some TV. I may not be back tonight so you all have a good night...
Hugs,
Susan

Charlotte, NC

Dianesjungle,
My Episcia get leggy also. I just snip off some stolons or a top cut and replant :) Toss out the old plant and have a nice new, compact plant again.

I can't seem to get the ratio of light and heat correct yet. I should have ample lighting (using T5 HO fluorescents) but if I place them too close to the plants they get crispy leaves, too far from the plants and they don't stay compact. Perhaps there's more to it that I'm missing. Maybe something to do with nutrients, potting mix, size of container, etc...?

For instance, here are a few. Notice the ones closest to us in the shot are more compact than those farthest back. It doesn't make sense to me. The ones in the back are closer to the window and should be getting more light, thus not getting as tall??? Perhaps it's just the nature of the different hybrids, some are naturally more compact growers?

Thumbnail by MullettMan
Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Susan- I wish I was experienced with these enough to look at a pic and know what it is. Maybe one day! I can only hope...LOL I say we just call it 'That Gorgeous Vivid One'! At least until we find out what it really isLOL
I hate computer problems. I really feel for you friend :(

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Hmmm the different hybrids theory does make a lot of sense. I had wondered if I could take top cuttings- glad to know it's possible- Thanks!

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Well here is where everyone is..I missed the link in the old thread for the new thread..lol..must be monday..lol..nice pics everyone..Susan if your strep didn't come with a tag it is almost impossible to say 100%for sure what its name is because alot of them resemble each other way too much..lol..I like Dianes name for it...lol..'That Gorgeous Vivid One'.love it.Hope everyone has a great day...a couple more days of yardwork and we should be caught up so i can come back here and play more often....

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Shanika..you had asked about Texas Hot Chili..here is what tthe bloom from mine looks like today....its the 1st bloom its had for me...
Diane you had asked about repotting baby streps?....I always wait until they have finished blooming for the 1st time then I pot up to a 2 1/2 or a 3 inch pot..alot of people cut off the 1st blooms but no way I will do that..lol..I don't grow plants to show at gessie shows..just for myself and to share with others..lol...I love seeing blooms too much to cut them off....

Thumbnail by cedarnest
Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Cedar- Beautiful bloom color! And your first bloom- How exciting! Even prettier than I thought it would be
Thanks for the info on re-potting. I can't imagine me cutting off first blooms either! lol But I do have a couple that I just got from Rob's that bloomed so guess I'll re-pot them.

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Nancy, it's breathtaking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to get mine. I'm not sure if I love the name or the bloom more. LOL

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I can't wait for mine to bloom. I don't know when it will be.

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Shanika and Makshi you will Love it!! LOL..I know the name is what initially drew me to it to..hee hee .Diane I have a couple from rob's too that just finished blooming so now I am going to move them up to a bigger pot..You will be surprised how fast they will grow once you repot them....that really makes them seem to take off and grow ...I should say it seems to for me anyway....: )

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Very beautiful color Nancy... She is a pretty one... I can't bring myself to cut the first blooms off either.... This one bloomed for me this morning and it is called Midnight Satin.... It almost looks like the other one that bloomed yesterday...
I don't have much left on puter charge so I may be back tonight on hubby puter but if not yack at all of you after work tomrrow..
Hugs,
Susan

Thumbnail by TurtleChi
Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Question about potting up Streps: The ones that are blooming now are the ones I got from Rob's this past Fall. Those are in 2.5 inch pots. ONce they stop blooming, should I pot up to 3 inch pots?

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi all! Just popping in to say hello and then back to the grandchildren. We have done gymnastics and the public library today.......Nana is tired (LOL).

I always repot anything I get after about three weeks of sitting on my shelves in my conditions. Every gesneriad likes to be repotted every 4 months at the longest .
If you got in the fall I would think she would be bulging out of the 2.5 " by now. Always look at the root size to determine which size pot. She may even go straight to a 4" azaela right now.

Just saw Brenda and Cedarnest's new blooms.......nice........

This message was edited May 19, 2008 4:24 PM

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Wow Susan! Midnight Satin is a perfect name for that one!
Looks like a little different shade than the other one- unless it's just the lighting... Maybe Ink Blot for the other one? LOL I don't know! Just mentioning the only one I can think of that dark!LOL

( Kim) Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Thought I send a picture of my Chirita its getting Bud for a flower I can't wait to see it I got this I am pretty sure from keyring a while ago when it flowers it pale pale purple
Dimmer

Thumbnail by Dimmer
Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Susan midnight satin is awesome..that bloom looks like velvet.. Gail..sounds like you are having a Blast!!..Dimmer..I hope you post another pic when your chirita blooms.I am really anxious to see that..thats a really pretty looking plant!

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Shanika, sure wish Gail was around. Streps are NOT my thing. I would probably give the wrong advice on your question :( Gail is really good with streps along with Bren and Nance. Ladies, do you know the answer to Shanika's question about potting up streps? My guess would be yes but I don't know for sure.

Kim, that is a very pretty Chirita you have there. I think it is Kazu :)
Very nice, can't wait to see pictures of your flowers :) Mine just got done flowering and I cherished every bloom :)

I am hoping to offer a couple boxes for postage soon and have many different chirita babies to share :) Maybe even a few strep babies too but it won't be for a bit as I would like for them to get a little bigger before mailing so that they are well established :)

Kim

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Shanika..I went and double checked robs site to see if I was repotting at the right time with the right sized pot and it said..Pot into 3" pot at first bloom...so I guess i must be doing it right..lol..it also went on to say:Most varieties grow best in 5" when mature, perhaps a 6" pot if very large. "Compact" varieties can be kept in a 3" or 4" pot, and "small" varieties in a 3" pot. The exact size of the plant can be controlled by the grower--if leaves become too long for your tastes or space, just trim with scissors...I knew the scissors trick..I do that all the time so I can fit more plants on the shelves and an added plus with trimming is extra leaves to share..lol..Thought that was some pretty cool info...

Edited to add: Kim you are such a sweetheart..anyone lucky enough to receive one of your boxes for postage is in for a real treat : )

This message was edited May 19, 2008 10:04 PM

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Ditto what cedar said Kim! You're so generous and sweet! I'm just getting started with this type of plant and am aspiring to be like you! LOL It's a slow go though getting anything worthy to share...

Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

Hi All .... first few days to hit upper 60's and low 70's have had me outside as much as possible!! We're now supposed to have snow showers mid week so have to take advantage of the good days! LOL

Love seeing all the beautiful pictures posted and reading the great advice given!

A new bloom for me on an AV from leaf, it's a keeper!

edited to say ....it's Lyon's Party Dress....^_^

~Brenda

This message was edited May 19, 2008 11:12 PM

Thumbnail by bmedel
Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Brenda, that is SO pretty! Congratulations growing it from leaf!
Nancy & Diane, honestly, I have really struggled to learn to propagate. In fact, I'm still learning every day *lol*
I'm grateful to have enough to share, however, the losses far out weigh the successes at this point.
There have been days I just totally wanted to give up and still struggle with so many things that seem to come easy for others *lol* Such as starting seed, growing streps from leaves etc. I have had better success with Chirita it seems than I have with streps for some reason and am now going to focus on propagating different things and adopting extra strep babies from my friends *lol* You can all propagate strep leaves and I'll do some of "the others" *lol*
I love to hybridize them and seem to do OK with established plants but I'm taking a break from growing them from leaf unless it's one of my "have to haves" :) *lol*

You are all so sweet :)

Kim

Ottawa, IL(Zone 9a)

Kim; Don't get discouraged, that happens to all of us, sometimes it seems like months go buy & every leaf i put down rot, then i'll get a bunch that will produce, i tend to think it;s the leaf you are useing.if i take 1 of my own, it almost always roots, if from somone else, not alwyas & i think it's when they take an older leaf.
mrsbonnie

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Just a fast Hi and to say everyone is doing Great with there growing...
Gail I hope you are having a nice time with you GC... They are so much fun and grow way to fast....
Hugs,
Susan

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

mrsbonnie, thank you SO much for the encouraging words :)
It's funny, I seem to do GREAT with Chirita. In fact, I was just checking on the chirita leaves and Linearfolia (thanks to my friend Lin) is supposed to be one of the hardest to root. I lost quite a bit of the leaf but low and behold one of them has roots! I'm wicked excited!
However, when it comes to streps, I stuggle dearly. I THINK I'm letting them get really big but when I separate them, there seems to be hardly any roots and then I pot them up anyways, dome them and watch them wither. Out of approximately 50 or more leaves, I THINK I may have gotten about 10 different ones that made it. That is a loss of 80%. It just kills me.
I am going to stick to rooting woody stem things like Nematanthus, X-Codonanthus, Codonanthe, Kohleria etc. for a while just to take a break as when you lose 80% it's really hard on the heart strings.
I would like to try some sinningia at some point and ordered Playful Porpoise from Belisles. I THOUGHT since I paid the "plant" price I would get a rhizome or at least a rooted cutting but all I got was a 2 inch unrooted cutting. I'm trying to root it but so far I don't see much progress. I will keep trying though as I don't give up easily and I SO want to be successful someday *lol*
My things seem to take FOREVER to grow though. Just ask anyone how small the Chirita babies I sent out were *lol* and it seems like I had been growing them for months *lol* Too funny.
I love it though and it really gets me through the winter. I love having everyone here to bounce stuff off too as it's SO encouraging :)

What a great group we have :)

Huggers to all........having a sentimental moment here :) *lol*

Kim

This message was edited May 20, 2008 7:53 AM

This message was edited May 20, 2008 7:57 AM

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks so much for your advice Nancy and Gail- perfecto! Now, on to ordering some little pots from Robs!

Oh, has anyone ordered from any online indoor gardening websites? I need trays, egg crates, Physan 20 and some other things to get my light garden set up properly.

edited to also ask: Does anyone use dolomitic lime in their AV mix? It's recommended on the AVSA website.

Thanks,
Shan

This message was edited May 20, 2008 12:26 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.