Cottage Garden Seed Swap & Chat #12

South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

Starlight, I don't think it's too late to start tithonias, they grow pretty fast. I just pulled mine up last week, and where the seeds fell, I have 100's coming up. Gotta thin them out, and when this bunch gets ugly, I will pull them up and let another round start,,,all the way to a freeze. : )
~Lucy

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

I agree that it isn't too late to start the Tithonia, you have a long growing season : ) Was it flowerhead that wanted pineapple sage? I remember hers had gotten aphids.

Nelson, NH(Zone 5a)

Thanks for thinking of me Mer-I have one that survived, it's coming along at this point. I think of you when I see it because I wanted to send you some-but it's not big enough to take cuttings. Did you get some?
I thought tansy too.

I did! I ordered from Bluestone perennials. They already had aphids on them! I picked off the leave that I could see them on and sprayed them all with neem oil. That oughta fix those buggers ; ) The seedlings were ID'd, they are chamomile! Does anyone want chamomile? I want some coreopsis lol. It figures too, that I had some other coreopsis seeds started, and I slacked off and found them all dried up : ( Or else I'd have some! I think there may be one or two wee babies that survived in there, I'll keep my fingers crossed. But really does anyone want chamomile - it's not my cup of tea, I prefer lipton lol : ) One or two will be fine for me not 9! LMK

Lea, recognize this scullcap? I almost lost it, I mean down to a nub, but I kept an eye on it every day and brought it inside when it was cold, and now here she is. The other one I didn't get a picture of because the sprinklers were on. I'll get one soon.

Thumbnail by BlueGlancer
Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Hi all! I have been so busy planting and planting and planting and weeding. There are not enough hours in the day in May, and not enough SUN! We are dying here for some sunshine!

Meredith, I have that same plant - chamomile/tansy that you show. I assmed I planted it for the butterflies, isn't that right?

Lucy, I was one who wanted pineapple sage because I didn't know wha tit was, but I got it from LeBug. It looks the same as Yvonne's Salvia (They are both about 6" tall and not blooming yet, so I'll keep you apprised on how they differ.).

Star, definitely not too late to start Tithonia.

I have to get up early tomorrow, nitey night!

Suzy

Nelson, NH(Zone 5a)

I don't know how Yvonne's smells, but pineapple sage smells like....pineapple! lol! You can use it in culinary endeavors.
Lea ( I still say Le-ah in my head!) I am sooooooo in love with these baby black pearls. They are my favorite! We still can not plant tender goods here, but I can't wait to plant them and see them get big-I'll try to take a pic of my biggest later. Only one of my variegated lived, but I have some extra seeds-I'll save them for next year. Were the black pearls ones you saved or purchased? I also am in love with shu
La-la- The ornamental peppers you sent are still little babies-but they are looking good.
And then there are the white habanero's from wind-what a pepper year this will be! My hubby is psyched!

Suzy, I don't remember where we were talking about b&b salvia... but I just noticed a shoot on mine : ) It came back again! The same thing as last year, it starts growing right at the base of the foundation. (see pic) You didn't already give up and rip yours out I hope?
Oh, and is that tansy going to be something we'll be sorry for planting? I just learned the hardway, (about planting something that I will not be able to get rid of - if I decide I don't want it where it was planted.) Obedient plant- e-nuff said lol.

Thumbnail by Meredith79
Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Star, I so know how it is to try and take care of the plants you are selling when it’s as hot as it is now for you, I stopped, last year was the first year I hadn’t sold plants for about five years maybe, just got way too hot to be out there watering plants all day and the people slowed down too when it got so hot, it’s just too hot to be out there all day for me now :)

Meredith, what kind of tansy was it that you got? I have some yellow tansy out back and it’s pretty invasive and I grew the purple tansy from Carol’s seed and have five plants of it so far, they are still germinating but I’m going to put this out front since it’s not hardy here I’m hoping it won’t be so invasive but I think it’ll be nice growing in between the flowers. I love the foliage on tansy and the purple blooms on the one I’m growing now are to die for lol

Lucy, those blooms on my skullcap are so pretty, that one of mine hasn’t come up yet, it won’t show up till later, it’s funny about my skullcap here, it will reseed in a pot but I never have it reseed in the ground, I have a seedling in a pot now incase mine doesn’t come up which is a possibility cause I’m afraid my limelight wormwood may have taken it over.

Suzy, my pineapple sage is still in pots and about 8” tall now and starting to get blooms on it now, just starting :) I have pink and purple blooms on my prunella now :) I'm still waiting to get all of the darn weeds out of the large bed out back, I got to spray the other day and didn't put any dish liquid in my spray, didn't know to, so all of the violets are still there, what a mess! I can't even tell where my plants begin and where the violets end there are soo many of them this year!

Kath, I think I got the black pearl seeds from Lala, not sure I forgot to write it down who those were from, this is my first year with them too. The variegated and shu peppers are the ones I grew last year.

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Hey everyone! I am SO FAR BEHIND.....I still have two full threads to read to catch up with everyone, but wanted to jump in and say hi, and apologize for being gone for so long! Clients, can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em. I've actually turned away some this year, and will be turning away a few more I think, just too much work for me, and my crew has moved on so I have to find a new crew...sigh....that's putting a crimp in how many yards I can handle.

I've got to admit I lost some seedlings to inattention - forgot to water one day in the greenhouse, and even with a 60% shade cloth it was just too hot. So a lot of those flats are outside to catch the rainwater and then get trotted back under cover if it gets too nasty weather-wise.

OK, off to read some of the thread, and then I gotta go work in a client's yard, and I'm hoping to get caught up with y'all by tomorrow!

Thumbnail by dryad57

dryad, do you find if you keep things watered that 60% shadecloth is enuff to keep things from burning up in your greenhouse? I need to get some shadecloth for mine but I'm not sure what % to use. I just use my greenhouse for starting seedling and in the winter if it drops down to freezing.

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Yep - that shade cloth makes a WORLD of difference. I went with 60% as that's what my boss used when I worked at a garden center, we had a cup of coffee and chatted about it one day - he found it to be the best percentage for letting light through so shade things are protected but small sun-loving things will still grow well. I got a strip of it from Gemplers early this spring - they were having a sale on remnants :) and I got a 6'x14' piece for something like $10. It's much longer than the greenhouse, but I can drape the end over the south side for extra protection, and it's working quite well - so long as I keep them watered :)

Bear in mind, that's a 60% cloth in Indianapolis and Chicago - you may want to go with something a bit stouter for Florida's scorching sun....

Lebug I think it is this one http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/854231/ I could plant it way out back for the butterflies, but I think I should keep it away from good garden soil. I did a search on the forums and people have said it's one of those ones they wish they'd never planted.

Had to fix link.

This message was edited May 28, 2008 11:30 AM

Thanks Dryad, I have an oak tree back there that shades all the afternoon sun after lunch, so I was thinking the 60 % might work for that morning sun, and drap it down on the south side, especially when that winter sun is so strong on that side. : ) I'll ask others around here and see what they use. I have pretty good ventilation in there with the door open and the windows, just need some shade. : )

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Wow I am so impressed (and jealous) of all the blooms you guys have already. But I did want to say good call to Suzy on the Cottage Reds. They're gorgeous.

Thumbnail by Lala_Jane
North West, OH(Zone 5b)

And now I have a basic question that I should take to the salvia forum but it's SO basic that I'm embarrassed to. :-P

I know I have used annual salvia in the past but for the life of me I can't remember what to do with them. I don't recall dead-heading them but surely I should? Some of them are pretty faded and the blooms are already all but gone. It seems like I've always had blooms all summer long on them...should I pinch the unsightly ones off and will they come back?

Thumbnail by Lala_Jane
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

La, thats right. Just deadhead and they'll bush out and keep on going :-)

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks Neal. Do I pinch off the whole top or each individual bloom?

Thumbnail by Lala_Jane
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

The whole top. Then the new growth will sprout from the leaf axils. Thats a pretty purple!

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

lala, your cottage red is pretty :)

this is my first blooming viola from seed
Johnny Jump-Ups

Thumbnail by wind

planted the canna Indian shot today

only have two plants, but they are both from seed :)

Thumbnail by wind

the English Wallflower, still so small but they are happy now that they are transplanted
I planted them in a border ~ do you think they will bloom this season?

Thumbnail by wind

I have been busy planting, but this still looks like the original huge group in our walkway!!! there are sooooooooo many still waiting to get planted! this has been a great season, I'm just loving all these seedlings :)

Thumbnail by wind
Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

All look so healthy, Wind. You're gonna have some kinda pretty gardens!

Lookin good Wind!

(bestest fairy)Tempe, MI(Zone 5b)

I haven't planted 1 seedling out yet!!LOL We have been still getting frost advisories and I am just too freaked out-my monkey flower did start to bloom the other day-yellow w/ red spots-until the cat played with it and it fell off!! Darn cat!!

Dryad-if I lived closer I would work for ya!! That would be the best time!!

Hope you can start planting soon Fairy. : )
I started but nothing of mine is even close to blooming. Next year, I won't start as much so I can start annuals earlier and have blooms this early. I waited until the end of april for most of my annuals and they are all just itsy bitsy seedlings still.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

It got pretty chilly here last night I worried about the cannas and dahlias! This summer is getting such a late start this year for some reason, every year is different but I don't think I've seen the cool weather hang on as long as it has this year! I don't like that lol

Wind, your wallflower is a lot bigger than mine I'm afraid to plant mine it's so small, about two inches high :) All of your seedlings in cups look so good! Just like going to the nursery and picking your plants out to plant for free isn't it cool? lol

La I love your purple salvia! I didn't know we could pinch the tops I'm glad you asked that.

The weather here is all over the place which is typical of New England. The day before yesterday it was 86 degrees and stayed warm through the night and into the early morning. Warm enough to wear a T-shirt at 5:30 am. which is quite warm for me because I am a wimp about bare skin and cold. Now yesterday it was quite chilly most of the day to the point I needed a sweatshirt until after lunch time, then it dropped down to 36 degrees last night, and last night the forcast said it would only get down to about 46 so I left my canas out thinking it would be a good first night outdoors in the big cruel world. So hopefully they will be alright! I also planted dahlias out already and hopefully those are fine too. Now it's supposed to be high 70's which will feel like 80's telling by the way it is already nice and warm. Darn crazy weather! : )>

diana.. those wallflowers will not bloom this year it looks like but they should bloom first thing next spring. that strain i sent out to you guys are the strain i got in a perennial mix pack..did not know what it was until the following year.

its been cool and all my plants are just sitting there, not growing much. I am transplanting my flowers and veggies in june in my garden. I am so terribly behind.

pamsue

Well pamsue, June is only a few days away and my tomatoes are litle bitty things (and are still in plastic cups) so I am right there with ya! Don't feel too bad, we can take comfort that our babies will not get a late frost at least! lol

hi meredith
my tomatoes are about six inches high or so...and gosh they are sure growing slowly. i know they will take off when i plant them and when warmer weather rolls around.., but then sometimes summers do stay cool here...so i just take a gamble every year with tomatoes, peppers and melons
good luck with your tomatoes meredith , hope you get a bountiful crop

pam

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Pam, my tomatoes are the same size as yours, too, this dratted weather! I'm thinking about starting over with fresh squash and melons, too, they just look sad sitting there and not growing.

good morning :)
meredith, as soon as you get your tomatoes out of the cups they will take off quickly, at least that is what mine did. I hope you get a bountiful crop too. What kind(s) do you have?

pamsue, thank you for the wallflower info. I can't wait until next year to see them. I have several other plants too that will take until next year for blooms, like the poppies. The poppies are still so teeny and I'm seeing blooms around in other gardens, so I guess poppies bloom now.

our hollyhocks are huge this year with alot of buds!!! It took them a few years too to get like this. Now after this season is that it for these hollyhocks? I'm also wondering, do they reseed or do I have to collect the seed and replant them? I never even got to planting the new hollyhock seeds from the swap yet!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

wind, if your hollyhocks are singles, like the old fashioned kind, I believe they're reliable perennials. They'll usually reseed somewhat on their own too. The doubles I've found to behave as annuals or biennials, depending on how early they're started.

I have Rutgers Select - I got them from Lebug. Thank you Lebug : ) I started them kinda late, so it's my own fault they are small, the info I have on them says they take 73 days. My problem is I have all kinds of stuff to plant and I don't have beds ready for them. YOu'd think I'd learn my lesson and only start what I have room for, but no my eyes are bigger than my garden beds. lol Last year I didn't even grow tomatoes because the year before I had terrible crop. End blossom rot, tomato horn worms, yellow leaves, split tomatoes. A funny thing happened though, I had a volunteer tomato plant in the spot I dumped all the nasty stinky tomatoes I had put in a weed bag and forgotten about!
I'm curious to see whether I have better luck this year. I'm also curious about the hollyhocks I got from the swap, Nigra and Indian Springs, are either of them perennial? I got mix colors too I assume they are single but not sure, are all singles perennial or just some? I got them all planted so that's good, I saved half of all them so I could start more next year in case they are biennial. Now I have to spend the day cleaning, even though I'd much rather be outside in the garden. But I need to get things in order in here before my DH leaves me! lol

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

ooo - Meredith - it's your birthday!! Happy Birthday! Do you get to spend it playing in the dirt??

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

I have some pink holly hocks that are single and I had three planted last year and one came back but it reseeded about four times and that was with me picking the seeds off lol

I haven't gotten much planted yet either, and Meredith, I planned on having my beds ready fo the spring too but the weather this winter just wouldn't permit it and now I'm fighting weeds like crazy! If it weren't for those darn violets I'd be ready by now :) BTW HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Hope you have a great day and today is not for cleaning this is YOUR day lol You'll like those rutgers they have really good flavor and when my tomatoes gave out on me in the summer last year rutgers kept on tucking not a lot but at least they didn't die for a while :)

hi meredith happy birthday to you ..have a great day!

ive never grown rutgers..ive heard theyre reliable..i just grow the ones that will set in cool weather and cool nights ( ours are in the 50s at night for a while ) ...i just looked yesterday and saw flower buds on my small window box roma plant..i thought that was something..so ill see when it matures if theyre worth growing.

diana..it is best to direct sow poppies..like in the fall...and they will grow and be stronger plants. I will have more seed by late summer..and i see a lavender one about to bloom..just a few of mine are starting to bloom and some dont have buds on them yet. the ones i planted in april are still small..so we will see. in really hot weather they will bloom but will be very small blooms. the p. rhoeas are the early ones for me

Happy Birthday Meredith :)

gemini, my hollyhocks are doubles I think...Crème de Casis and Peaches & Dreams

Pamsue, take a photo of your lavender poppy for us...sounds pretty :) your coral poppies I ws are alive and growing (they are still small) and some breadseed poppies I ws; I also direct sowed 3 kinds of poppies, but not in the fall ~ it was at the end of March, I didn't realize fall was best. I didn't get the Lauren's grape poppies from gram planted so I will sow them this fall.

Should I store the poppy seeds in the freezer? I keep forgetting what seeds to freeze!

The poppies I direct sowed are lavender, orange and red and another that I can't remember! need to look it up :0 I received a cute little flower print envie with the lavender poppy seeds (not sure who from) and so far I only see one plant growing in the area I scattered those. Will it come back next year if it doesn't flower this year?

Another set of poppies were orange and I haven't seen any of those yet. And the third poppies were a red and I only see 2 growing. I'm just thrilled to have any growing! I hope they make it and bloom next year.

My 2 kinds of blue poppies ws from Weez, germinated great, then withered away and all died :( sorry Weez

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.