Cottage Garden Seed Swap & Chat #12

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Time for a new thread. Past time, really!

Ths isn't just chat about the seed swaps, it's a general What-did-you-accomplish today and HI!-How-is-everybody, and What-in-the-heck-is-this thread.

We came from here: #11 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/838588/

Suzy

Thumbnail by Illoquin
Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Hey there, Suzy! I'm planting away, everyday, and still have so many to get in the ground.

's-Gravenhage, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

Morning all,

Will be busy with preparations for our 5th wedding and my 42th birthday party tomorrow, but will be back on Monday!

Have a nice weekend!

tuink happy birthday and wedding anniversary !!

hi all

it was nearly 100 here in the central valley yesterday and i wilted in the heat...as i am typing away now very early in the am..it is warmer now than the high temps last week tuesday. it was a real heat wave as the temps at the coast were nearly 100 and they dont have air conditioning in alot of the places there since it is usually cool there even in the summertime. A cold front is coming and im glad cuz i could not do anything yesterday except water my plants and i hope i did not lose very many. I lost a good many due to the extreme cool weather earlier. Not a great start to gardening in 2008

pam sue

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Foxglove seedlings....what do they look like?!? I'm trying to find last year's WS Fox Glove and I can't find them for the life of me. The very first thing on today's agenda is to take pictures of emerging babies to help next year. Weeding is a tedious enough chore without having to agonize over where the weeds are!

Happy Birthday/Anniversary Tuink!

(bestest fairy)Tempe, MI(Zone 5b)

LaLa-I will post pics of mine when I get home:) Give me til around noon...

HAPPY BDAY & ANN. TUINK!!:)

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

Happy Birthday and Anniversary Tuink!
I am with you LaLa, I am trying to do the same thing. I can't tell you how many times I have kept watch on something thinking it might be something I want, to find out is was just a weed after all! : )

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

...Speaking of seedling pictures I think I grew Lucy's mystery plant last year. I will have to look at my spread sheet to see for sure, but it runs in my mind that it may have been "baby blue eyes." Whatever it was it didn't do well for me (which is why I don't remember it.) My spreadsheet for last year is on a zip drive....I pull it out later and check if you think we have a match here.

Thumbnail by Lala_Jane

That is what I said on the other thread-looked kina like my nemophilia....I have Baby Blue Eyes and Black Penny...

South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

Whatever the mystery plant is, I'm gonna set them out in the garden today, so they will grow faster. I'll keep everyone abreast of what they do. : )

Happy Birthday, and Anniversary, Tuink. Enjoy your day. : )
~Lucy

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Happy Birth Tuink and Happy Anniversary. May you have many more!!!!! : )

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Happy Birthday Tuink and Happy Anniversary too!

I got a surprise first blooms today from Viola 'Helen Mount'. One month from planting in the ground, these cuties are blooming their heads off. I sowed these in peat pots back on March 9th. Only took these babies 6 days to germinate too.

Brownstown, IN(Zone 5b)

Happy Birthday and anniversary tomorrow Tuink. Today was my wedding anniversary but we were involved in hosting a family reunion so we kind of forgot it. LOL

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversary Tuink :)

Happy Anniversary to you too Indynanny :)

I finally started planting our hanging baskets! Got one done this am before church. I'm trying red dragon wing begonias in two baskets rather than fuchsias, which I always do. I went to Longwood Gardens in PA yesterday, which was just wonderful :) We will be posting pictures from the trip in the MidAtlantic forum if anyone wants to see them; anyway, they had soooo many fuchsias....I may have to go buy some now!

this was really FRAGRANT and I would love to know what it is...does anyone know? almost looked like geranium leaves, it was planted underneath an interesting shrub that looked like holly leaves but they were not prickly ...see the next photo

Thumbnail by wind

anyone know what this shrub is?

Thumbnail by wind
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

That's a Mahonia. There are two basic types- tall, or low and spreading. Should get yellow flowers. It's native out here-the common name is Oregon Grape.

Here's a link to one of them in PF: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/56715/

Nelson, NH(Zone 5a)

http://www.yougrowgirl.com/garden/dripsystem.php
Hi all! I've been so busy and then I lost you. I found this link to make a container "irrigator" and thought it was cool.

I like that idea-will have to try it with something maybe a bit more decroative-will be on the look out now!! Thanks!!

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Habby Birthday & Anniversary, Tuink!

Wind, That first pic looks like a geranium to me.

Lucy, I have seen so many seedlings here that look like your mystery plant. One is that Nemophilia, and another is the corn poppy.

I am in high gear and just now remembered I forgot to water the yellow long spurred Columbine seedlings I planted. It's cold out now, but I am still toying with the idea of going out with the watering can. :)

I have hardly made a dent in the seedlings I have, but I am still just plugging along. One things that has hurt my progress is all the daffodil foliage that is still green and erect. One thing that has helped me is putting mulch around the seedlings right when I plant them (if I can remember). The mulch stands out as an area that is planted, so I look around it (overlook it, ignore it) when I wander around with a pot of seedlings in my hand.

Is anybody else just plain tired? This annuals-only idea was stupid!

Suzy

That would be neat if it's a Nemophilia, or a corn poppy. But, I don't remember planting those or writing those names on their tags. But, then again, I could be loosing it. My grown kids think I am. LOL : )

And yes, I'm tired. But, more so cause we have had NO rain in forever. It's almost a losing battle of me dragging the hose around, and having to repeat the same ritual everyday. The wind blowing just makes it worse. Thank God, no fires right around me, so that's a good thing. : )

's-Gravenhage, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

Morning all!

Thanks for all your good wishes! We had a splendid party and now I'm beyond tired. Worn out is a better word, and I'm trying hard not to fall asleep at the office. Not entirely succeeding, though.

This picture is the perfect image of how I feel today!

Thumbnail by Tuinkabouter

Suzy, no ideas are stupid, just learning experiences! I have ideas every year - some I like - some I realize - weren't so good for me : ) When you were first talking about that, I thought, Wow she must really know her seedling ID's - lol I tried direct sowing some stuff last year, and then I was nuturing weeds all season thinking they might be what I wanted! The amount of weeds to things I actually wanted was not good - not good at all. So I thought maybe I'll be able to do the reseeding annual thing when I have kept my gardens weeded for years so that most of the weed seed population has come down and if I ever get better at ID-ing good seedlings from bad. Well, from all this, I decided I am much better off starting seeds in flats so I know that they are what I want them to be : )

Added - As of this year - I am good at id-ing lupines! :D It's a start! lol

This message was edited May 19, 2008 7:49 AM

Fairy, I just planted the Spanish Flag seeds I got from you in the swap, thank you very much :) I put 5 seeds in one hanging basket, I hope that is not going to over do it. I couldn't remember how many seeds Suzy used in her basket???

The poppy seedlings I planted from the ws container went into a sort of 'shock' period. I wasn't sure if they were going to make it; they got pale looking, but now I can see a few coming around and looking much better...slowly adjusting to their new spot :)

In one of Critters recent articles she called the planting technique I used, which was basically breaking a clump of seedlings off and planting them; the HOS method, for hunk-of-seedlings, I believe. I had never heard that before and thought it was a perfect description. Hey Critter did you make that up?

Suzy, don't know if you had a chance to look at the Longwood posts...they had these at Longwood Gardens :) They also had alot of snaps, which were so pretty.

Thumbnail by wind

Wind, Spanish flag in a hanging basket. : ) Why didn't I think of that? Thanks for the idea. Do some MGs do good in hanging baskets also, or do you know?
~Lucy

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Sorry I missed your birthday and anniversary, Tuink!

Currently, I am at my sister-in-law's place in British Columbia. According to the Weather Channel, Springfield won't have any serious rain for 10 days! My poor little plants on the terrace!

Meanwhile, we are going to Kamloops, BC (think "Arizona with a winter" - it's semi-desert) and there is a 60% chance of rain EVERY day we will be there.

Honestly, I think DH and I should just hire ourselves out to drought stricken areas to ensure rainfall. . . .

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

My yard is shrinking. Shovelful by shovelful I just keep expanding the beds. Where in the world did I think I was going to put all this stuff??????

And I too have barely put a dent in Lala's Greenhouse and Nursery.

Blueglancer - it's funny you should ask if morning glories can be used in baskets. I was wondering the same thing and I did a long search, on it. What I found was that everyone that had tried it said the morning glories just want to climb up :(
Bummer huh?

Meredith, I figured that, but if I put them on a high plant stand, wouldn't they eventually have to hang over the pot? : )
~Lucy

If they are on a stand, then I'd imagine they'd have no choice but to go down : ) I was thinking hanging baskets, then I think they'd try climbing the hanger part.

Yes, they probably would. : )

I was picturing this happening in my mind http://www.geocities.com/textilejo_2000/2002fronthanger.JPG
I was thinking on doing them in hanging baskets attached to the frame of my deck. So they would climb up onto the rails. Do you think that would be cool?

I think that would work. I would try it, if I had rails. : )

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Lala_Jane, just do what I did - I made new gardens on the terrace on our street! Maybe there is a neglected park that needs some of your babies ^_^

susybell, I meant to say THANK YOU for the plant ID for me! I was thrilled and am planning on buying a mahonia for us :) I'm pretty sure the other plant is this: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/3304/
I was able to get that ID from help on the plant ID forum today. I'm going to get some of them too. I'm just waiting to hear from a geranium grower I emailed to confirm it for me. It was so beautiful planted as a border in front of the mahonia that I saw at Longwood Gardens.

the weather is terrible here and I can't get myself motivated to go out and plant...chilly and rainy

hey, I just realized the new DG marketplace is started
lala, you can SELL your extra plants if you want as another option
http://davesgarden.com/products/market/

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi Wind, you're welcome! Of course, I had it easy-it grows all over out here.

hi

mahonia grows in my backyard..i find a few every year it grows wild also with the camas and the indian plum and the fringe cups.

if anyone wants seed..remind me and ill save you some.

weather cooled down alot and we are back to rain

pam

pamsue I would like to try some seed if you could please save me some :))))) the weather is cool here too. I finally got outside and planted a few hanging baskets. I'm doing all my baskets different this year and goodness knows how they will look in the end!

I'm trying 3 red dragon wing begonias per basket, in two hanging baskets for our shady side of our porch rather than fuchsias this year; and our front porch baskets usually have Purple Queen, Setcreasea (tradescantia) in them but I'm going to use them in a large pot with Persian Shield instead. So for our 'more sun than shade' side hanging baskets this year I'm going to use the Summer Showers Geranium in the center, surrounded by 3 Proven Winners Supertunia mini white petunias, and 2 Alternanthera “Royal Tapestry”, and 2 Coleus Chocolate Mint.

I was going to make a collage of the combo to show you but it is a real pain if the photos are not conveniently located. I have no idea how to copy and paste a photo from say Harris seeds into the collage so I can't do it to show you. I think it will look nice. I may even add a few seeds of Red Ensign (which I forgot to start indoors) and see what happens.

I really want to add something chartreuse green to bring out the border on the chocolate mint coleus...any ideas? Well, that is if the coleus even grows. For some reason I noticed that slow growers left in seed starting mix (like lisianthus, petunias, coleus...) they start to fade and basically stop growing. Maybe lack of nutrients? who knows, but if I take them out of the seed starting mix and put them in soil they usually perk up and make a come back which is what I hope happens with the coleus. They are really tiny and look pretty bad right now.

Nelson, NH(Zone 5a)

Hey all! I have been so crazy busy working on making other people's yards look amazing-little time for my own : (
I heard the question about the mg vines in a basket before and someone posted a link similar to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTljaIVseTc
It's pretty cool!

That was pretty neat to watch, Flowerhead. Swinging round and round until they find something. : )
~Lucy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.