Tiny sweet strawberries

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I am planning for next year. The strawberries grown on the pick your own farms around here are sweet but large and they mush up when you make jam. Does anyone know of a variety of strawberries that are very small and hold their shape when preserved? A few years ago I bought a jar of Strawberry Jam in while vacationing in Maine and the berries were tiny and still whole. It was delicious and very pretty.

I have grown the Frais ??? (I can't think of the rest at the moment) and they were OK but not great tasting. Are there better cultivars that I need to know about? I have a pot of local berries simmering on the stove for jam right now and I am wishing for those tiny whole berries.

Thanks

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

All I know is this:

Quoting:
Alpine strawberries, the tiny sweet wild strawberry, is also called fraises des bois (French for strawberries of the woods). They are hardy perennials and will thrive for years growing in shade or sun. They do not send out runners like regular strawberries. They Seeds sown in early spring will produce full-size plants by summer, and a small crop of berries. Next year, if well watered, they'll bear from late spring until hard frost.

Thanks Darius, that must be what they were. I have grown them, actually have some now, but the taste is nothing to write home about. I suspect the key word is "alpine"; we are derfinitely not alpine like here in the lowcountry.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Another possibility is the wild strawberry (Fragaria virginiana) Very tedious to pick but they are have much more flavor than cultivated strawberries. They grow all over North America. http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=FRVI

I thought about that one, wonder what they taste like when grown along the coast.

Baltimore, MD

Earliglow stay pretty firm in jam and make a very good-tasting jam. They are also commonly available.

Scott

I'll have to look into that one too. Thanks

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I wrote a DG article (published just yesterday) on alpine strawberries... http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1098/

Thanks, I will check it out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.