crash !

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

And here is Smoke Rings.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

And Gypsy Romance.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

War Chief looks velvety. Love it. Smoke Rings looks delicate and Gypsy Romance just glows. Great blooms!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

War Chief is wonderful. I really like the reds. Here is my first bloom ever on Thornbird and I can see why so many people like it. I usually go for the very saturated colored ones, but the subtle beauty of this one just draws you into it.

susan

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Here you can see the little horns better. It's interesting to go to the Plantfiles and see how different Thornbird can look in different photos.

South Hamilton, MA

Thornbird can look different in different soils, also the appendages (horn etc.) can vary. It is very vigorous.

Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

wipeing the drool from my chin girls!

here's my first year's bloom of Thornbird grown in sandy soil

Thumbnail by jackieshar
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I think this one is Fjord.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

And I think this is Sonata in Blue. When a few more of my blues open I will be able to ID them better.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

This is Orange Blossom Special.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

I can't believe I still have TB's blooming......I have no idea who this is, it has to be a bonus that I forgot to add to my photo file......

Thumbnail by mrsj
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

A usually gorgeous Fresno Calypso. This flower was damaged by hail while it was still closed.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Timless Moment.

Gorgeous, but pretty Stinky fragrance!

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

And finally today, an old-fashioned that I think is "monsignor".

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Looks like Monsignor to me. I grow it. Mine came from Argyle Acres. Monsignor (Vilmorin, 1907) 25", M, IB. Last year's photo for mine are just budding up now.

Thumbnail by Mainer
Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

there are differnt iris
1st picture beard is yellow tippped blue
last picture beard yellow tipped white

Oh yah, interesting. Okay, guess I'll have to keep searching for the name!

Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Monsignor has blue in the beard when it first opens and it t fades to white especially in full sun where I have mine. If you have access to the HIPS photo gallery you will see it does have blue in the beard some shots and white in other shots. Biggest id thing about it is the height and orange tip in the beard. Mine came from Argyle Acres so I know mine is Monsignor.

Well Mainer, maybe I'll have to send you one of those too to grow next to yours! Hee.

I'm sad, I only have one more variety to open. I know it is Eastertime, a really pretty white/yellow. I'm happy I did have a good iris year though! I hope more of them bloom next year so I can figure out what I've lost over the years.

Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

That's fine with me and if I should have a spare monsignor you might want to grow against your noid. Sorry Eastertime is your last bloom but I am looking forward to seeing it when it does bloom.

Julianna

It's preeeetttyyyyyy!

Couple of days…

My bad sorry !
.but beard are very important in id .
add your comment to the plant file on this . thanks for information
i am always learning

That bloom had just opened when I took the picture. I'll take another when the beard changes. Thanks for mentioning it or I never would have known that there was a difference or that the beard changed.

Do most beards change?

not many change
flower can fade in sun but most beards are sun fast

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.