How hardy are they?

Horsens, Denmark

Hi gladiolus lovers :o))
Happy summer to you all (at last it hit us here)

Some of the glads were left out all winter, including G. callianthus, and they are ALL coming up fine.
They are supposed to be tender in my area, but was so busy last year, that they were left out.
They were planted 15cm/6 inch to 20 cm/ 8 inch. Planting deep could be the reason, not sure.

Have others any experience regarding this? It could be quite useful to gather this sort of info

Monica :o)

Thumbnail by zest
Horsens, Denmark

Plumtart.

Much bigger, probably because it is planted close to the house.

Thumbnail by zest
Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Plum Tart is doing great! The glads I got from the supermarket last year, which were all red or white, are all coming up too. I couldn't be bothered lifting those so thought it would be a good test.

I am surprise G. callianthus is growing now in the ground though, maybe you have had the same heat we had but it was very cold until late April here, often only 6C, then turned very hot to 25C or over. Now we have cold for this time of year again, going down to 13C, lol, the glads will want to go dormant again.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

I do have a preliminary report here. My species seedling from last lear I had left in the pots dry for their dormancy over the winter in a cool basement (50F/10C). This spring I put them in the garage as temps warmed, and gave them just a bit of a drink. Well it got cold outside again, and I had forgot all about them. Pots had frozen solid, although they probably never went below 30F/-1C. G. flannaganii is the only one emerging unscathed so far. Ones I may have lost due to my forgetfulness is G. permeabilis, imbricata, carneus, dalenii, pappei.

Sorry to hear that Lefty! I have a few which I grew inside in late 06 which I would have though should grow again but haven't, I'm tempted to shake them out to see what's happening as they may be taking a 'rest'. I still need to separate mine as they all get watered now, growing or not, lol, I don't know which ones want to grow for the summer until they come up.

I have a feeling I have a couple of G. callianthus in the pot of seedings I grew on last year which are getting tall, our warmer than usual winter probably tricked them but they usually grow late. I'm wondering if it's a cylce of cold and warmth which triggers them rather than time of year and day length.

I also had the pot of G. nanus 'Nymph' growing very early over winter, then a hard frost of -8C knocked some back but they seem to be recovering now. If I ever get around to it I should do a job of separating and recording all the species which are growing now or not! I just see what needs repotting and they get done, so many jobs waiting, lol ;~) including sowing the rest of the species seeds but from experience I think late May for summer growing is fine, and maybe late summer (late July/early August) for winter growing would suit this climate. I need time to juggle the pots around to make space too!

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm surprised all my Cape species glads are still growing strong with no sign of dormancy yet. The only one that has gone down for the season is G carneus. They've done really well this winter, it was dryer than it has been in many winters and I think all my bulbs have done better. I'm just going to keep watering until they start to let me know they've had enough.

I even have scapes on F laxa (white) seed sown 1/10/08--never seen anything like in the last 3 years; amazed me.

Horsens, Denmark

Hi Janet.
Surprise about G. callianthus as well, it being from Ethiopia and, I would think, requires wormer conditions.
There were very few cold nights during the winter, about -5/23F to -8C/17F. Otherwise it has been above freezing point most of the time.
LOL think we have the same craziness here as well, was so nice hot last week, but the last few mornings I´ve been freezing to death biking, on my way to work.

Leftwood
So sad to hear this, what a nice collection. Typical spring isn’t? warm at one moment, and old the other, and not necessarily in that order. Don’t give up on them though, you never if a few corns have made it.

Dmj1218
Did not know G. carneus had a dormant periode in the summer.
Maybe this is why the ones I planted last year never came up, probably to hot.
What are the temp in your area at the moment? Could it be that they are still blooming as it is not that hot yet?

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Its supposed to be 90F (32C) today--but its been a little cooler for the last week. G carneus is definitely summer dormant here. I have 3 strains of G dalenii, 2 go dormant right after blooming and one keeps growing and blooms in late summer or what you would call fall (September here). Those seeds came from 3 different S African locations and there is a great deal of variability in that species. All the winter growing Cape species are summer dormant for me--they just seem to be resisiting dormancy this year (which pleases me). I also have some summer growing South African species which are winter dormant. The 'funeral parlor glads' all go dormant after blooming and they are budded up and about to bloom now (some already have, I usually cut those and put them in the house). I have one patch of those because my daughter bought them 3 years ago--she likes "flashy" glads, but she is young (19). I grow 2 nanus glads also, they also go dormant as soon as they bloom (which should be soon).

Horsens, Denmark

Oh that´s hot! Send some of it over here :o)))

Don´t have much experience with the South African glads.
Have ordered some seeds from Germany, but a bit anxious as I tried sowing some last year
that were giving to me, but did not succeed. Can it be yours are still blooming, as they were planted later, or do you think they just decided to make you happy for a few more weeks :o))
Interesting to know that some South African glads are summer growers, thought they all bloomed in cool conditions.

upton, QC(Zone 4b)

These were mixed with my gladiolus from last fall....I can't remember what those are..?

do you..?

Thumbnail by anemone73

I think they are Sauromatum venosum, you were lucky to get those!

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2055/

Horsens, Denmark

Hi anemone
Agree with Janet they look like Sauromatum venosum, a very nice plant.

Well this is how the glads are growing now, a few of the G. callianthus will probably bloom in a week or so.
Very much surprised about this.

Thumbnail by zest

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.