Chit Chat... Everyone welcome. Part 24

South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

Time to start a new thread, again. Anyone from anywhere, is welcome to join in and chat with us. : )
We came from here>>>> http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/845573/

So, what's new, today? : )

Thumbnail by BlueGlancer

Cathy, I have 2 Yvonne's up and 1 of the blue salvia, so far, so good. : )

West Central, FL(Zone 9b)

Fleur, the Black magic won't get as big as the Xanthosomas I was talking about...lol!
But the black runner I have will get to be about 3 ft high, your black magic should do about the same I would think. I have a few different EE's, but none of them get as big as those malangas.

Lucy, I just realized that last night you ID'd my Momma Bird as a Mocking bird and I didn't catch that. I am still learning the difference between all these birds in my yard. The Cardinals finally came to the new bird feeder today. I saw the Woodpeckers again, but they didn't come close enough. I think I need a different style of feeder for them to feel comfortable.

I did an interesting long term experiment in my yard. The first gardening year..2006 I used alfalfa tea. Last year I did not at all. The same plants looked much better with the tea use than not. This year I am reinstituting the tea with wormcastings and fish emulsion added in. I think it will make my yard really fill in.

Time to prod DH to do a few things out there he needs to do before I can do anymore planting...
see ya later

PS. Thanks so much Dutch for the Plummie ID, it does smell more like peaches than the other white one which smells more like citrus. The one I really want is a Miami Rose ( I think that's the name...lol)

This message was edited May 14, 2008 2:51 PM

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Booo

Haloween already Paul?

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Dang shella I will definitely have to move it then.I wanted one of the big ones in the area it is. Guess I am going to have to start looking at EES now

Boo Paul :)

Thumbnail by fleurone

Fluer I will be happy to send you several starts of my giant ones if you like. I have them comming up. By the end of the summer they will be very large.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Shell that would be fantastic. I will have to take a picture of mine you will roll around laughing!.
Will Dmail you

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Ha Ha

Thumbnail by phicks

LOL Leaf man....great costume!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

o.k. Paul now you have really done it!!!. Mine wouldn't cover anything!

I took a picture of mine earlier and then I thought no, I cannot post it, they are so pathetic , now you have shamed me into it. Beer can for comparison size only :)

So how come everyone elses are growing but not mine? I Have been watering them every day .

This message was edited May 14, 2008 6:00 PM

Thumbnail by fleurone
Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Fertilzer

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

I use fertilizer ( some slow release thingy maybe I need a fast release :0) ) and Epsom salts

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

This is what I Have been using , have run out now .NurseryMen Sure Grow, Plant Food Fertilizer 19-6-12 Slow Release Pro Formula

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Got Daylilies though ....

Thumbnail by fleurone
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

another

Thumbnail by fleurone
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

one more

Thumbnail by fleurone
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

My beans aren't going to do anything though, they flowered but none have set :(

Fleur be patient, those can be a little slow when they are young. Those are babies.
How much sun do they get?

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

EE

Thumbnail by phicks

Those are the kind I am sending ya Fleur.....like Paul has there.
When you get them you can move the Black ones where they get at least a half day sun preferably starting in the am and they should grow more to a 3ft size.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I took this picture today. My Alocasia Calidora is really starting to put on some good sized leaves. Seems to like part shade better than the full sun I had it in last year.

Thumbnail by GrubWorm1
Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Nice

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks Shell..

Mainly afternoon Michelle, but some morning also ...

mmm sunwise difficult right now, they are on the North side which always seemed the shady side but I am begining to realise I have no set year around shady side. Which is a bummer as so many plants for here like shade and until I can get some of the larger ones to grow there is none. Will have to draw a pic to show what I mean.

Paul .... Grrrr........

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Heres the Colocasia Gigantea Thailand Giant to the left of the last picture. Not a great photo.

Thumbnail by GrubWorm1

Very pretty! Those Thailand Giants get soooooo big in the ground don't they?

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Paul and Grub beginning to dislike you pair!.Show offs!

o.k. crappy map of the situation , the sun thing shows where it is now

Thumbnail by fleurone

That's a pretty one, Grub. I like the veins in it. : )
~Lucy

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

So I need to move the blacks to the east side?

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

o.k. so numpty with the EE's , another numpty question what did I plant here? . I can remember this lady giving me some large red seeds , so six months later they appear

Thumbnail by fleurone
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

And in this pot I know I planted Queensland Bottle something trees, so one has appeared

Thumbnail by fleurone

Fleur, they will be darker and grow to their full height with half a days sun at least. Mine have grown in shadier conditions, they just don't get as dark or as big.
I would put them in a pot or two or three...lol and try them in different places and see how they do. I can't tell from the picture how much shade the trees give the different areas of your yard.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Michelle, I planted them ( last year ) on what I thought was the wettest/dampest shaded side but with some sun.But the garden was new to me.
The picture is pathetic just a quick sketch to give an idea but the front garden( Front is East facing ) gets full morning/midday + sun,even the weeds are wilting now by 11.00 o'clock am and the plants :( !

I guess if you figure soon just take the sun as going straight over the house

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Guess I just have to hope the plants get through the 'hot pockets' on either side?

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

I was walking around today and I can visualise how I wan't it to look and with some of it I am happy at the way it will hopefully look when some of the plants have grown up a bit more.( conditions allowing) And some areas I think well I can do this but not this year.
Some places the seeds I set in the ground haven't grown at all .Seeds I set in trays , forget it , same again no shows.
So I don't know, feeling a bit despondent right now .

One MG I have is around 6' no flowers another is like six inches tall and has multiple tiny flowers

You can plant the blacks in front of the big ones for fill in. They might not be as black with less sun, but they will still look nice.

If you planted them last year, and then you had very cold weather it makes sense that they would just now be showing or comming out of dormancy. or...the originals may have died back and these are pups from them.

Most EE's have a dormant period in the winter, even here. They either disappear all together or get smaller during the winter. They do not like wet feet during the dormant period either. I almost never water mine in the winter.
I wait till they come out of dormancy to start feeding them, watering them or to cut off any cold damage.
Watch for new leaves emerging before watering and feeding...then do it.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

I have the Real Borneo Giant to

Those things are incredible beautiful. Do you have room for that one Paul?
I hope you didn't plant it too close to your house...lol!

Saint Petersburg, FL

Fleur, I believe the first seedling is a cardboard palm. Contemporary of the dinosaurs! Here is a picture of mine..

Thumbnail by monschi
Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

nope not close to my house

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.