I think next year I will do more WS, less started inside

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Though wintersowing had it's own anxious moments, I am finding those seedlings to be much hardier than the stuff I started inside (which is, of course, exactly what all the WS proponents tried to tell me when I started.) I have been nursing along my many flats of annuals, perennials, tomatoes, and herbs inside, and finally got them to the point where I thought they were ready to harden off and experience the real world. Poor things, by day three many of them look either sunburned or windburned, even though they were only in the open an hour or so, and then sheltered under the picnic table while I was at work the third day. I guess I needed to bring them back in the house, but I tell you, it is no fun carrying all those flats and flats of seedlings back and forth every day. I think I need a greenhouse or at least a cold frame, but can't swing the expense this year, especially after what I spent on lights and such for indoors.

I've tried to be super gentle and gradual, only a few hours out at a time until they toughen up, but they still look crummy. I thought mid-60's would be perfect weather, not cold enough to chill them, not hot enough to cook them, and I put them in dappled shade in a sheltered area.

What did I do wrong?

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Well, I'm having a similar experience with my seedlings started under lights. I think I started many of them too early. Didn't transplant into bigger pots when they needed it. And now the iffy weather and resultant toting them in and out of the garage on inclement weather days is wearing me down!

I think a green house or at least a set of shelves on wheels like you see at Home Depot garden centers that would help with moving them around and keeping them protected...

My wintersowed seedlings are just sitting out there waiting to be transplanted but doing OK. Of course, I did not WS tender annuals...

I saw some old windows set out by a dumpster and thought I would grab them to make a cold frame, but when I went back they were gone. I think that's all it would take to set up some kind of protection...

I'm interested to hear more ideas...

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

I liked my winter sown things better too, and since I didn't know any better I did WS marigolds and things and they did really well. I can tell the ones I ws'd . Keeps you from all that taking them in and out.

I found an old 75 gallon aquarium, fixed my mik jugs and things, put them in there (well, some of them) and put glass over the top, so it was protected. As things germinated, I just moved the glass a little so more air could circulate. I wish I had several of them, a make do green house.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Well, I *know* I need a greenhouse, lol.... but I'm kinda bummed that I didn't have the opportunity to try WS this year. I'm going to be all over it next year, you can bet.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

I really want one too, but what's wrong with milk jugs all over the yard? lol

Hey, makes me fit right in!

I need a green house too. But I need a farm too for space to plant my seedlings!

Okay, I got that one covered.... but those darn seedling eating horses.... now that's a problem.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Don't know which is worse, the horse eating them or kids pulling them up.

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Did you see the thread from the guy wanting to know how to keep the MOOSE out of his garden? Now THAT takes the cake for me. And I thought my bunnies were bad. . .

Now that's a BIG problem... heh....

LOL oh, that's funny! But not really!...

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

I want to see a picture. Can you imagine. I have a bobcat in the woods behind the house, but he's not brave enough to get in the flower beds!!

That is one cool hand luke moose. lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.