More May Booms!!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

forgot to congratulate you , Kim, on your wonderful growing...........

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Gail..I can and do grow streps from leaves !....I quit for awhile because it was like I was becoming the old woman who lived in a shoe..I had so many streps..lol..you know the rest... I think Daves Violets is fantastic.I am very pleased with the plants he sent..Uh Oh..I thought the micro mini sinningias were supposed to be that small..aren't they??..please tell me they are!!

Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

Gail I think you missed the "mico mini" part about Nancy's new sinns! ^_^

Nancy they look really great! Look at all those blooms on those little things. I do like the micor minis!! So glad your shipping experience turned out good. I know mine was the post offices fault some where along the line!

I just transplanted these tiny little guys on Sunday. sinn pusilla "White Sprite" that I grew from seeds. The leaves are real pretty with nice color to them but I doubt you can tell from this picture....

~Brenda

Thumbnail by bmedel
Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

Kim I need to get a picture of my chirita babies and show you they have grown more in just the last 10 days that I've had them! They are some healthy babies!!

Check out hoya shepardii, she loves this office and has sent out lots of new growth. I can count at least six bloom clusters forming!!

~Brenda

Thumbnail by bmedel
Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

WOWZERS Bren! She's BEAUTIFUL! Congratulations!
6 pendules of blooms? OMG you are going to get "stunk" out *lol* She is a VERY odorful hoya *lol*
A little goes a long way :)
Would LOVE to see your Chirita babies :)
I just got home and begged my dentist for some of his old tools to use for hybridizing *lol*
I'm going to try to cross my x-Codonanthus Vista with Nematanthus Magnot tonight *lol*

XO
Kim

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Brenda ..whew thanks for the info on those micro sinns..I don't know that much about them and thought maybe they were supposed to be bigger..learning but still a longg way to go..lol....those baby white sprites are just too cute!..Oh I Love that hoya shepardii..those leaves alone are really neat looking by themselves!
Kim what an awesome cross that could be.....

( Kim) Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Brenda
I like that idea about the Co-op For Streps maybe you should start a new question in the AV Form and see how many would like to try this.So if you decide to start one I am In. I also told Susan51 and she likes it she had to go eat but she will be Back
Huggs
Dimmer

Ottawa, IL(Zone 9a)

Hi All;
Thoses micros are suppose to be tiny.they are not mini's, they are micro's & carefree regina will come back, just give her a little time.they are very addicitve also. lol if anyone decides on doing a co op, let me know.
mrsbonnie

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Thanks mrsbonnie...since they are micros should I keep them domed or in a terrarium?..or can they just sit on the stand...sorry to sound so dense but I don't know hardly a thing about them..I do have a rio das padres jannich sent me last year that I have in a lidded jar and thats doing great....thought maybe thats how I should grow these too?
Coop?? I had to go back up and read..missed that earlier! Brenda I would be interested too!!

(Zone 1)

Oh, is it just a Strep co-op y'all are discussing, or will there be other gessie's available, llike sinningia's and episcias?

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi............I don't know my sinningia names yet, so forgive me !! Also experiencing senior moments these days as I think I am the oldest one here! Yesterday morning I head out to run errands two towns away and locked my house and car keys IN my house.
It was only 90 degrees waiting on my brother to come help me to start the day!

Today, I take a pair of pants into Walmart (I had bought at the Forum in SA) and couldn't find the Danskin brand. The lady in the customer service told she wished she could help me but they just didn't carry Danskin. Of course I had to ask her to please look at the Walmart label on them so she could just give me credit. She smiled at the 'little old lady' and politely said, "The label says you bought them at Kohl's".

Brenda, you did great with your White Sprite seeds. I used to have that one in a little terrarium vase like thing.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I have already spent my money on a big order of sinningias from Dave's. I am also ordering sinningia seed from The Gesneriad Society, but I rarely pass up streps (LOL)'

Also, Lin, I was talking to Thad Scaggs , the hybridizer of all those great episcias Snow used to grow (I talked to him by email about a month ago). He asked me if I would be willing to take stolons instead of plants and I told him I would rather have stolons. I bet he would offer us a good deal with a co-op order but episcia stolons don't lasts as long in the mail as streps, for example.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I forget the time difference and I have lost all my friends on line.
I know you are sick and tired of this same plant, but her blooms keep opening up even more and I am more excited about these gloxinia sinningias than anything else right now!
Just let me be boring for the last time (today) (LOL)

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Gail..we could never get tired of your beauties! Always love seeing them : )

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Speaking of which..lol..Gail..here is the 1st bloom on one of your babies you sent me awhile back..they are all growing like crazy I just love this one.....

Thumbnail by cedarnest
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh, Nancy, she has a pretty bloom. Did I put a name on her? I don't recognize her.

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Gail..sorry..yes..the pot says concord blue and I love it!! I can only imagine how great the 2nd flush of blooms will be with the 1st bloom like this : )

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh............you will love that one. Of course I remember now. It is a chimera from Lyndon Lyons. So happy she is blooming for you.

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

I thought so!! I knew it looked familiar..lol..I should have figured it out with the stripes..Thats one of my favorites!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

How is baby Yukako holding up. One of mine is growing big and one is just hanging in there. I lost the mama, too, when I took 4 babies from her leaving her with no foliage (LOL)

Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who thinks a "surprise" box of streps would be fun!!

I could only do one kind of gessie (streps this time) so that I could order enough to get the wholesale price that is offered.

I am going to e-mail Gary Mikita right now and ask him many plants he would be willing to ship to one person so then I'll know how many people I can invite to participate. From what I am reading I think there are 6 of us interested right now, so I'll see if the number can go higher.

I would have to limit it to a maximum of 6 strep plants per person as that is what would just fit into the shoe box size shipping box I would use. It would also keep the weight between 1 and 1 1/2 pounds which would enable me to pre print the shipping labels with postage on them and have them already attached to the boxes. That way all I would have to do is separate the plants when they arrived load the boxes and tape them shut before quickly getting them back to the post office on the same day.

Ok, I'll be back to let you know what Gary says and to start a new thread like Dimmer suggested ....... if it is a go.

~Brenda

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

That sounds great Brenda!!

Gail..baby yukako is down to 3 leaves : ( I'm not giving up on her tho..I have wanted her for far too long!! I might dome her awhile and see if that gets her growing..

Charlotte, NC

Maybe Gary could even ship directly to the participants. Perhaps you could 'promise' him at least 10 orders of 8-10 plants per order, or some such number, and he would pass along some savings to those orders.

I'd be up for a Strep order :)

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Great idea mullettman..with shipping costs right now..if gary would agree to that..that might be the perfect way to go......

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Hello Everyone,
Has been a long day but a very good one... When I got home from work I had 3 boxes waiting for me and boy was I thrilled.. I got two orders of streps and then Jan sent me I think 6 plants and then strep leafs and sinn cuttings... I had to pot up allot of them I ordered and now they are just sitting under a lamp and tomorrow after work I will make them a grid and put the cuttings into a dome... Oh a question I have av leaves in a glass dome and I kinda let them be as the moisture was fine.. Well tonight I found mold white fuzzy kind on the leaves... Can I spray with a little bleach and water or throw them out?
I am to am to tired to post allot of picture of what came but will post three. with out cuttings I think I have 28 -29 new plants tonight.LOLOLOL Two more boxes are coming LOLOLOL Going to go to the store this weekend and buy me a pretty stand for my new children... Then use the gift certificates the boys gave me to buy new lights and stuff..LOL
Jan I can't thank you enough.... Brenda you sent me a little AV and it bloomed for me today...I will try and take some good pictures tomorrow after work...

Hugs,
Susan

Thumbnail by TurtleChi
Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

next

Thumbnail by TurtleChi
Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Hi friends
I missed a lot today didn't I? And I really missed ya'll too. Some days I hate my job......
Keep me posted on the co-op. I might be interested.

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

I am sorry this picture but when ever I get out the camera I have to take a new picture of them..LOL
Susan

Thumbnail by TurtleChi
Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

I would like in on a strep co-op,
Susan

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Mulletman...........good thinking...........just ask him Brenda how many fit in his box? And maybe he will just charge whatever shipping for a certain number of plants and send out individually.............
I am always in for streps.

Susan............gosh, you are a growing dude......let's laugh together about when each of us started. I still think the reason Snowrose quit DG is because I bugged her so much....asking a zillion questions. I miss her so much and she was so wonderful! I keep thinking I will write her a letter and see if she answers.

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Well I use to bug you all the time.... Remember me saying all the time I was a pain in the butt? I have been trying to learn allot from everyone here and trying different things on my own... So far so good... I really like the book I got yesterday... Oh my Roulette Cherry is getting blooms... I can't wait... I also got the Roulette Azur or something like that..LOL It is the sister to the cherry one ... this one has white with purple/blue at the ends.. really cool.. I am going to do what you did with my chiritas... I have several and only the one Kim(Dimmer) gave me that has been blooming for what seems like forever... beautiful so I never get tired of seeing it...
This week end I am going to buy a nice stand for my children..LOL I also have to take out about 8 or so crape for my fiend Terri, these are cominig up in my Cindy flower bed and they have to go... When they start getting inbetween my Calla lilies they dont have a chance of living.. She would give them a great new hom...
I have two epsicia that are blooming and I am thrilled tosee them...One is a straw berry patch.. the other is oneNancy sent and Jan also sent me some more that I never grew so i AM doing the happy dance....
Oh another question... Do you put your plants outside durningthe spring and summer: I dont have a clue for that one..Ok going off to read the forums and then I hope bed
Hugs,
susan

Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

I have written to Gary about getting 60 or more streps and what the "actual" shipping charges would be so that I can figure a closer cost on 6 plants each...........BUT..................

Mullet Man brings up an excellent point as while I was on Gary's site I was reminded of the fact that he offers a "growers choice special". TEN plants for $35.00 with a $12.00 dollar shipping charge. So that makes each plant come out to $4.70 a piece. And if you figure in the one "free gift" he includes with each order it brings the price down to $4.27 each!!

Either way we go you don't get to choose your plants...... if you place your own order for 10 plants the price would be much better at 4.27 each than the 5.75 to 6.00 each that they will end up being with the extra shipping to each person added in if I do a co-op type order.

It boils down to ...... the only benefit of doing a co-op type order being for those that didn't want to have to order 10 plants and wanted a bit of a break on say half that many.....

So now that I've bored you silly with my math ^_^ and showed you where the real bargain on a box of "surprise me" streps lies (order directly from Gary!) ........... if anyone is still the least bit interested in smaller orders of streps with a bit of a break in price just d-mail me.

Ok, I'm done! LOL ~Brenda

EDITED TO ADD......If you place your own order for 10 "growers choice" plants Gary lets you send him your list of streps you already own and then does his best not to give you anything you already have.....now that's a biggie for ordering your own 10 too!!!

This message was edited May 14, 2008 9:07 PM

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Thanks Brenda..that gives me something to think about..I really don't know if I want 10 more streps..oh who am I trying to kid..of course I would..lol..the question is do I really need 10 more streps? LOL

This is wayy off topic for this forum but I just need to share with you all what my son got me for Mothers Day...A Pitcher Plant? ..its supposed to be fed bugs he said..lol....he thought it was cool looking..I know nothing about this plant but I do Love the way it looks : )

Thumbnail by cedarnest
Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

Now that is an awesome looking plant Nancy, I had no idea that the carnivorous (is that the right word?) plants came that big!! You shouldn't have a fly left in your house this summer!!!

I am going to go add an important PS to my above post .......

~Brenda

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Really cool cedar! Water with rain water is best for those guys. And DON"T add fert.

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Brenda that would be great..no flies..in that case I hope this summer will make him nice and fat..lol

Diane..thank you for the advice...I was sorta flying blind with this..lol..now at least I have an idea of how to care for it..I really appreciate that : )

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

You're very welcome.
I had a pitcher plant once but our air is so dry it was impossible to keep it from drying at the tips and then my husband thought- drying? it needs water...still drying? Needs more water..and so on and so on. And the whole time I'm thinking- What's wrong with my Nepenthes? It's just staying wet and not using any water at all? LOL Didn't figure it out until my husband asked me why it looked so dead when he KEEPS watering it??? Well it was too late then. LOL

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I don't keep any plants inside during the winter months except my gessies. Even the lipstick, columnea, nematanthus, hoyas, etc. stay on the front porch on the south side of the house. I put 6mil poly wrapped around the screened in porch. Also, I had to use space heaters sometimes during Jan., Feb, and part of March.........but not often........tried to keep the temps always above 50 degrees.

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

What a neat plant Nancy!
I can see a VERY shiny and full Nematanthus in front of it too and is that a beaded plant hanger in the back? Everythings looks so "sparkly" :)
What a cool looking pitcher plant!

Beautiful!!

Hope you all have a fantastic day!

Kim

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Nancy,
I love your plant... now that is cool...
Hugs,
Susan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.