Buttoneer! Tell me about Air Potato!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I've tried to do some research, but all I hear is a LOT of whining out of Florida.

I have some of these adorable little "potatos" from you. What do I do with them? Where do you put them? Do they die back or keep growing in our area?

They look so cute, but gads. When you google them, all you get is info about how awful they are. I live the leaf shape! Do they bloom in a pretty way?? What color?

Blessings on your garden,
Elf

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Ok, sorry I didn't see this post until th is morning. Are they the hardy ones? If so, plant them in the ground where you want them to climb up, right now. In Florida, everything is wild & spreads like crazy but they have the ones we consider non-hardy. The ones I brought were the hardy ones. They will not spread if you pick the potatoes off the vine. Mine is up out of the ground. Lovely purple vine with tiny white flowers that are supposed to smell like cinnamon, hence the name cinnamon vine.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Here's the entire vine. Let me know if this helps you out. Have a happy Mother's day. Buttoneer

This message was edited May 11, 2008 9:47 AM

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Thank you!

I have seeds from you. I was not sure what to do wiht them!

Blessings on your garden!
Elf

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Blessings on you & your garden, too. Let me know how they turn out for you.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I will!

Elf

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I planted the five little potatos I got at Swap in Frederick- I now have two vines starting with a few of the nice heart shaped leaves each. Just need the rain to stop so I can plant them out.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

YEs, the rain NEEDS to stop - I swear I have a pond in my backyard now :-)

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

I put all of mine in the basement (silly me) and they are growing roots & also molding, so I guess it's upstairs they go and spray with alcohol to kill the mildew & plant them. Maybe I'll try selling them on an online auction.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Elf - so glad you asked....I was getting the same type of info...kinda scared me...ugh!!!

Buttoneer - what type of lighting do these prefer? Now I'm wondering what I did with them...*sniffle, sniffle* Mercy...someone come organize my seeds...

Out of five, two made sprouts after a couple weeks, now two more new sprouts noticed today. I now have mine in morning sun on the deck

Hey Chantell- I know how you feel! I bounce between- where is my...---and-- what is this?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Buttoneer - if I can't find my baggie *hangin' head in shame* - when you have some would you keep me in mind, please?

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Sure enough. I must remember to bring them out of the basement & get them away from the heat. Anybody interested in these, please send me a padded SASE and I will be glad to share them.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

You're wonderful...thank you!!! Are you in the addy - exchange?

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes I am but to make it simple: Please Dmail me privately for my address. Thanks.

This message was edited May 16, 2008 7:21 AM

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I'll mail a taped (so you can use the pull off adhesive) one with stamps and address label inside for you to place over your addy on front...will that be ok?

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

great!!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Button, you probably don't want to have your address posted on the forum... it's subscriber only, but it's not that "private."

I found my little "potatoes" today, too! I've potted them up, and I'm hoping I'm in time for them to do well this summer! Thanks for sharing them. THey're so cute!

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Do they have roots on them? If not, keep an eye on the pot to see if they are coming up. Ok on the address. Guess private D-mails are best, too.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yeah, it's probably best to edit that out and let people Dmail you for your address.

Yes, my little taters had rootlets on them. They should be ready to rock & roll!

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

The 70% alcohol spray made short work of the mold. Alcohol will kill mold if it gets on any of your seeds or tubers or bulbs. I put mine in a closed plastic box with those dehydrators in it, but they molded anyway. Probably putting them in a small mesh bag & hanging them up somewhere in the basement where the mousies don't get them would help to store them. I picked every tiny "tater" I could find last year & haven't seen any more sprouting, other than the "parent" vine, so I hope I found them all.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm planning to put mine in a container... but I am guessing that it gets cold enough here to kill the "potatoes" over winter (or the voles will eat them!) so that it's not going to be an invasive nuisance like it is in the deep south.

I am asking DH to string a cable between two shade trees, then I will hang some plants there including a pot of the air potatos, that woild be pretty if they go along the wire. Hmm, assuming they will grow OK in the shade.
And then pray for good rain this yr so my hanging plants don't dry up on me.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

3 words for ya: Polymer Moisture Crystals! Alternately, line your hanging basket with a (clean) disposable diaper for 1 season use. :-)

LOL- I came across a couple of diapers in a plastic bag from long ago car supplies- YAY a use! thanks

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

personally, I'd stick with the polymer crystals 'cause the diaper crystals can get slimy (I've heard) if the diaper ruptures... but they're worth a try, better than tossing them out unused!

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

The potatoes are hardy in zone 6b (S. Central PA) where I am in (Carlisle) so they should be hardy to you-ins in Md & Va.

I have been mis-spelling that you-uns LOL former roomie from western PA

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

It's pronounced "y'ins" around Pittsburgh... but I have to idea how to spell that! In Wisconsin, it's more like "y'uns"

when we were kids we got hysterical with the WIS cousins- saying how now brown cow to each other

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

And if you're from the Philly areaa it's "yous guys"

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.