Kabschia saxifrages

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Well despite the coldest spring on record, the Kabschia are still starting to bloom..mind you, about 3 weeks late! Still lots more just budding but I thought I would share some. The first to bloom is S. sancta 'Macedonica'

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

S. apiculata 'Gregor Mendel'

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

'Hindhead Seedling'

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

'Myra Cambria'

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

S. burseriana 'Elizabeth'...a few more might be open in the next day or two...stay tuned!

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
somewhere, PA

I'm on the edge of my seat Todd!

Very nice photo of a very pretty sax with 'Myra Cambria'

Could you take a broader picture too so we can see their
setting?

Tam

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Tammy, most are in troughs so the broader setting is nothing special. I'll have to get some trough pics!

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

The Myra Cambria is growing on a chuck of tufa....I have a small space still available where I will plant a Sax. longifolia!

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Mona Lisa is opening too...its in a trough with my Hindhead Seedling.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

A close-up of Mona Lisa

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
somewhere, PA

That trough three pic's up (Myra Cambria) is just brimming with
beauties. I love this thread!

Todd - do you think I could transplant my tiny little sax seedling into
a hole drilled into some tufa? I got one in a workshop but none of
the cuttings survived in it.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

The Myra Cambria is growing in tufa laid on the open garden...it's not in a trough at all. Besides Myra, there is a native Newfoundland form of Sax. paniculata and Sempervivum pumilum and solboliferum..or are they Jovibarba these days? There is one drill hole with nothing (a Kabschia there died :( I have a bunch of named paniculata that could work there as the longifolia could potentiall get large. I think a sax seedling would do fine in your tufa...mine seem to love it!

Check out this this S. paniculata 'Hirtifolia' I got last year. The leaves are fuzzy! This pic doesn't do it justice as the foliage is a lovely blue-grey

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Two of the saxifrages I bought from Wrightman's came grown in tufa blocks, which were cut to fit a standard square black alpine pot.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Wrightmans charges way too much...$15 per plant! I got mine from Mont Echo for $6 each

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Maybe they are charging for the tufa rock too!
Seems like an expensive way to go. At least down here, real tufa is a pretty penney.

(Zone 5a)

Todd - they're all gorgeous and so are your troughs ! :-) I like the fussy foliage - very cool :-) Is tufa a native kind of rock in Newfoundland?

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

No, I got my Tufa from Alberta. Wish I had a closer source!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Todd, I assume you mean you purchased the tufa in Alberta? The tufa we get here (in Calgary) actually comes from Briscoe, B. C.. Apparently, large deposits of tufa are rather rare in North America, but the owner of this one seems to be mining it out.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Yes, the source is actually BC but I got it when attending a tufa workshop hosted by CRAGS.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.