hostas- all up? have I lost mine?

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

am getting worried about lack of action on a number of hostas from last year. Did they all die due to drought, or is it still early? Some established ones I have are well up, but the small ones in difficult rooty areas are no shows. I'm afraid they couldn't make enough reserve to last thru winter after the dry year.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Not a clue, mine came back despite neglect - I need someone to tell me it'll be ok to divide some come swap time - crossing fingers yours come up soon!!!

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

My hosta in MD still haven't unfurled and are about 1-2 weeks behind the ones here in VA. There are some that are slower to wake up than others.

That being said... I did lose a good many of them due to drought and/or tree root comptetion combined with drought. There are some that were huge last year and are tiny this year.

I would hazard a guess that the small ones in "rooty" areas may not have made it. Tree roots are the number one hosta killer! You can be patient, or you can go scratch the soil a bit to see if you have any nubs there ;)

Bec, you can divide hosta any time. They are generally pretty tough. They just can't live with strangler roots and no water ;) And if they are big clumps that you don't want to dig up, you can just use your spade and cut a piece away from the clump. Sure saves on the back ;) and doesn't set the whole plant back.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally: Mine are all up, I'm sorry to report. I hope yours make a showing.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the info Jody - I have a couple I need to get divided - they are taking off and I need the space :-)

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Mine are all up, also, and looking good. (I'm on the Back River Penn., north of you.)

We got two inches of rain last night. That is going to give them a boost!

Blessings on your garden,
Elf

Crozet, VA

All of mine are up and several are already huge. If I make it to the swap, I am sure that hosta slips will be something that I can share.

Ruby

Thanks for the reports folks. It sounds like a good possibility that the small ones won't make it. But I am surprised that few larger ones haven't shown up. Seems weird that they would all three have croaked too- be more likely that I moved them and have totally forgotten the whole event! geez
I remember somebody saying they would divide stuff in place by carving off a chunk and filling the hole with compost.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Excellent info - and congrats on great article as well!! :-)

Hampton Roads, VA(Zone 7b)

I thought my 4 yr old Eola Sapphires were toast, no sign of them whatsoever; yet everything else was up, even the new stuff I put in last fall.

Just yesterday I found the tiniest tip of a start. This pic was taken May 12, so that gives you an idea of how far it along it was by this time last year. Hope yours make a late appearance too!

Thumbnail by plantmover

wow plantmover--- beautiful hosta, and thanks for the glimmer of hope~~~

(thanks Bec!)

This message was edited May 9, 2008 6:04 PM

You bet! Like Jody, I think last year's drought had a lot to do with it.

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

Mine are all up now, and some seem to be blooming early, strange!

Yep, I've got one forming a bud too...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.