Starting seeds in egg cartons

Harrison, MI

This is my first try at starting seeds. I had heard that starting seeds in egg cartons was a good way to reuse them, however, I found that they soak up the water to fast and you have to water sometimes three times a day! Also they are so shallow I feel it don't give the seedling much room. Just wanted others to know in case they thought of using them.
Kimmie

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

YOU are so right. I finally just started using 8 oz syrofoam and when the roots were big , I could just plant in the ground, didn't have to re pot. Plus the 8 oz size holds the perfect amount of soil Saved a lot of time, but I'm like you, I wanted to find a use for everything!!!

Conneaut, OH(Zone 5a)

Egg cartons are good for eggs,and that is it.Give them to a farmer who has a hen house.They are really happy to get them.They may even give you some farm fresh eggs for your trouble.Now thats a recycle program.Edge

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey, good idea/!!! There's a chicken farm right down the hill from me.

Hermitage, PA(Zone 5b)

Whether you use milk cartons or something else, cover the whole container with plastic wrap until the seeds sprout, and you will have much less watering to do. Generally, if your saran wrap gets condensation on it, then you don't need to water more. Just water when the plastic looks dry and the soil feels less moist.
t
Theresa

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.