aloe vera babies - help!

Seneca, MO(Zone 5b)

I took some cuttings from my healthy mother aloe vera plant ... I did this about a month ago... had some hige shoots, so cut those and put in new soil. Some had roots.. Now, they are looking kind of sad... a bit discolored and droopy. Any suggestions on soil, light, water, etc for the babies? Much thanks!

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Don't water it if it doesn't have roots. And then, not a whole lot either - probably less then every other week. You don't have to use good (or much ) soil, they grow fine in very alkaline soil (they grew outside in the desert soil where I lived in Phoenix).

They need lots of warmth, can do without a ton of sun, especially until they're better established.

HTH!

Seneca, MO(Zone 5b)

Pagancat, thx!...

Some of them, if not most do have roots. I have been pretty much ignoring them (they are aloe vera, after all). The little sun they're getting is indirect.

Anyway... just wondered if I should be placing them outside a little during the warm afternoons (70's) on patio or just leave them be. Not quite sure if I am doing this right and cannot find info online.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

LOL - 70's are winter for them. I'd try a nice warm window, on top of the fridge, maybe - that should get them going.

I hope they work out for you - under the right circumstances they're incredibly easy. I moved some plants to a new home in Phx from Tucson, promptly forgot about them for nearly a year in buckets with a handful of sand in them and only noticed them the following summer when they started blooming.

Once they get going, they can take all of the sun you give them, too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.