Guinea Pigs as livestock

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

Rabbit is a rodent? Really?

Yes, I've eaten rabbit. ...It tastes like...well, you know.

:) Glenda

(Louise) Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

technically a rabbit is not a rodent it is a lagamorph. In south america guinea pigs were always food. I guess it is no different than eating a rabbit. Some people cannot stand the though of that at all. Personally I would try it. Squirrel is good too.

Lodi, United States

We have capybara at our breeding station in Brazil. They say the poor people poach them and they are delicious--but they are technically protected by law. They do look just like huge brown guinea pigs--except they are aquatic. You would need a pond...maybe some ducks, geese, capybara and an anaconda or two?

Luther, MI(Zone 4b)

Never tried anaconda, is it good too? Of course it might be a little tough seeing as they come in large sizes. But capies should be about as good as beaver.

And, yes squirrel is good also.

GG

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

Haven't had the opportunity to try capybara but I have had squirrel, and I liked it too.

Take a look at this picture...
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://borderland-tours.com/v2/images/stories/borderland/gallery_photos/venezuela/chris%2520sharpe%2520(left)%2520and%2520capybara.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.borderland-tours.com/v2/content/view/50/72/&h=333&w=501&sz=101&hl=en&start=7&tbnid=G4tb4I-BHPvSEM:&tbnh=86&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcapybara%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26rls%3DRNWE,RNWE:2005-41,RNWE:en%26sa%3DG
.....Then click on "full size image" at the top of the page.

Can capybaras be tamed or domesticated??? Heavens, you could put a small saddle on that thing and let the kids ride it around the yard!!

Luther, MI(Zone 4b)

BTW, have you ever tried porcupine? It is all dark meat, and quite tasty.

GG

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

Sorry for the bad link. Let's try this again...

Go to: http://www.borderland-tours.com/v2/content/view/50/72/
and scroll down to the 9th photograph.

:) Glenda

Lodi, United States

I think capybaras, guinea pigs and porcupines are all related. I don't think they tame well---they are very skittish and submerge like hippos if you get too close. Of course everything is trying to eat them......

I know the state of La is encouraging people to eat nutria since they are destroying wetlands. Now those look just like giant rats.

Foley, MO

I have got to say that this is the funniest conversation ever! I think GP are funny, I love the little noises they make and how they vibrate when they talk. IMHO nutria are basically a water rat, and I'm sorry but EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! I would not put one in my mouth! I have wondered how snake and goat taste, and if given the opportunity I would be the first in line if offered. As far as raising GPs for profit, if you expanded your market to not only specialty markets, but pet stores and snake breeders, you might make a buck or two but who knows?

Talihina, OK

I made good money raising them. I only stopped so I would have more time for school. I have eaten rattlesnake, but I didn't like it at all.

tastes like chicken :)

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

Or does it taste like GP?? ;)

lol. those tiny legs could be like hotwings. GP hotlegs.

Aschaffenburg, Germany

A couple of things to consider...I used to breed guinea pigs and they are really pets for me...

Guinea pigs do make a lot of noise particularly when they are fed...they are not quieter than chicken!!!

They also do eat a lot...feeding them just scraps won't do because they can get diarrhoea from too much salad and cabbage.

Also, you always need to feed them hay, which they need for proper digestion, so make sure you have enough...

You also need to feed them grains, preferrably not just oats...if the females get fat, they become useless for breeding.

You have to think of ways of keeping males and females separate. If you keep them together, guinea pigs go right into their next heat after they have delivered a litter and will become pregnant again (females can get pregnant when only 4 weeks old, though they do have a comparatively long gestation time of 63 days, i.e. you will not necessarily notice their first pregnancy, and it may just be one or two). If they live in the wild they may not become pregnant all the time, but in small cages the females cannot escape from the males' approaches.

You should get some books on guinea pigs before you start, also think about what you will do with them if your local petshop doesn't take them. May I ask if you would enjoy eating them yourself in case you don't find enough local Mexicans?

Guinea pigs may have parasites such as mites, so make doubly sure that you don't start with infested stock (mites are very small and are hard to detect) and always keep new stock in quarantine before introducing them to your own stock...

Just a few thoughts, you might reconsider, chicken are a lot easier...

Coast range of, OR(Zone 8b)

This thread reminded me of an article in the paper recently.

Here is a link:

http://blog.oregonlive.com/breakingnews/2008/04/teen_after_finds_strange_anima.html

Now THAT's a guinea pig!

That's a Chernobyl GP!

Coast range of, OR(Zone 8b)

lol!

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Did you guys see the story about the steer that stands 6'6" tall over in England? It was on The Today Show a few days ago!!

MollyD

I did! That's alot of bull!

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

LOL well it was a steer not a bull but they showed it live standing next to a normal size woman who wasn't petite so it wasn't a case of
the perspective being bad.

MollyD

It was pretty incredible...That's alot of steer did not sound as funny...lol

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

True! I keep wondering about who dropped them off. Calves represent a lot of money so you don't just drive up to some farm and abandon them
I'm wondering given how this one grew if some Pita type group didn't rescue it from one of those places that does animal experiments and
then dropped them off (there were 4 calves in the group) at that farm. The growth just seems too abnormal to be natural.

MollyD

ohhh scarey....space cows...

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

LOL I was think more along the lines of experimental labs. The kind that test perfumes or drugs on animals.

MollyD

lol well I watch too many cheesy old movies.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

I prefer B/W old time detective thrillers myself!

MollyD

Lodi, United States

Philo Vance?

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

The Falcon!

MollyD

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

OMG, i neede a reak from typing, and am just laughing my hiney off!!!

"hey, i thought this was a poultry and livestock forum, and we are talking RODENTS as FOOD!"

just kidding, this has been delightful, and has, no doubt, drawn a few mor efolks into this forum...

esp appreciate the sincere and serious info from gofast in Morocco.

i guess since i coudln't eat the extras, i won't be raising them. i LIKE my chickens, they are pets, but we have no problem eating them either...

scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

I should clarify that my friend that grew up in Mexico said they DIDN'T eat them, just used them for rodent control. I think eating them is more popular in South American countries.

Moberly, MO

Do you think we could start a seperate forum? Not a new thread, but a whole new forum? Maybe it could be called "Alternative foods" or "Nontraditional foods" (eh, that's just a matter of perspective though....) How about "Lesser known foods"? It would include plants and animals. Maybe it could include recipes, hunting or raising tips, history of the food. I don't know who is in charge really, could someone ask a moderator for me or give me thier email address? Thanks!

scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

I think Dave is the one that has to approve a new forum

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

You could run it past Terry in Admin too

MollyD

Moberly, MO

cool, thanks. How do I get a hold of him/her? WHat's their email address?

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

i think use the contact us link at the bottom... or go to your dmail and select DAve or Terry

but the best way is to go to the forum called Dave's Garden, and start a thread on the subject, that way they can see ho much interest there woul dbe in such...

This message was edited May 24, 2008 10:33 AM

Foley, MO

I think it's ironic that shortly after this blog, I ended up adopting two guinea pigs, Harvey and Monster. As it turns out Monster is actually a Monstera and I really might end up breeding guinea pigs if I don't separate them soon!

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

LOL. you better find a market for them FAST! this thread is a hoot!!!

Foley, MO

LOL! AND, Gofast wasn't kidding, these guys eat ALOT!

Lodi, United States

When I was little we would put ours out under bushell baskets on the lawn--they would move the basket around as the ate the grass and it kept them safe from hawks. Called them the "beaties in the basket".

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.