May blooms

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Tammy - nice plants! I am only starting to attempt Daphne spp., so those are very interesting especially.
Might your last plant be Scutellaria alpina?

Rick, thanks for posting Pulsatilla turczaninovii - I was looking forward to that! (How many years do I have to wait for mine???)

By the way, my newly-ID'd Primula maximowiczii has 5-petalled flowers too... seems the 6-petalled ones were in the minority...(and I got a new camera that actually does macros):

Thumbnail by altagardener
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Aubretia deltoides 'Blue Indigo' (with a few rain-spotted petals):

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Veronica saturejoides:

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Iris suaveolens... (yours are always nicer than mine, Rick - oh well, cute little things anyway).

somewhere, PA

Alta - definitely correct on the genus. And you probably got the species
right too but I'd have to check the label to be sure.

That primula is very nice and isn't it great to have it ID'd! I just got another
aubretia deltoides. They are such reliable bloomers.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Yes Tammy, that is mama, or maybe this other one below. Somehow last season in mid summer(long after it had seeded), it got a touch of Round-up drift. Until this spring, I was wondering if it might not make it through the winter since it hardly regrew after I removed the affected leaves. Of the two plants, this is the one that looked the best last year.

The silver foliaged, yellow flowered plant to the left is Fibigea clypeata (not alpine). While the flowers are tiny and uninteresting, the seed pods always spark interest from visitors.

Thumbnail by Leftwood

I was going to say P. turczaninovii took three years from seed to the first puny bloom, but I checked my records, and it actually bloomed in the second season! This was the first bloom, taken very late in the day, which I am finding, gives it a very blue cast.

Thumbnail by Leftwood

Oh! I almost forgot about the yellow form of Iris suaveolens. It has been super floriferous this spring. I have never gotten any seed off my single clone. Now that I have rubromarginata, I tried some crossing. Wish me luck!

P.S. Another nice article (Alliums), Todd!

This message was edited May 29, 2008 3:35 PM

Thumbnail by Leftwood
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Iris attica:

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Ah, only 2 years for P. turczaninovii - excellent!

Penstemon nitidus are starting to bloom, in a variety of shades, from sky blue to indigo:

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

... and even, oddly, some quite pinkish ones:

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Rick, I love that Pulsatilla...I've tried that one with no germination results. Alta, you are killing me with the Pen. nitidus...I think its my favourite one but alas it is a heart-breaker for me.

Eventually I will get through all my Spain pics but I've been too busy at work and trying to get work done in the garden.

somewhere, PA

Todd.... very much looking forward to the tour of Spain but certainly
garden work comes first.

Here's a trough I bought at our chapter plant sale last year. Very
pretty right now. The azalea is scaring me in how long its taking to
leaf out though. I thought it was dead but there are leaves just emerging
now.

Thumbnail by Tammy
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I had to share this picture of my Jeffersonia...it is really starting to take off this year. Since the flowers only last a week, I had to post now!

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

So beautiful! A week is enough!

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Leftwood that Pulsatilla turczaninovii is a dream plant!

Love that Iris attica too. I bought a couple last year, no blooms this year though.

Tammy, never thought of an azalea being "scary", LOL. Love the P. nitida too. I tried it from seed last year, no luck. But I will have Penstemon virens blooming for the first time in a pot this season.

Very nice color on that Jeffersonia, Todd. I have two, and one has just so so color. Take your time with the Spain pics. We're all busy too. I am in charge of our Rock Garden Society sale June 7, and the major donor too. It's coming up way to quick!

I am getting smarter now with pulsatillas now. I'll be offering fresh seed this year. They germinate MUCH easier.

Perhaps someone can tell me what this is:

Rick

Thumbnail by Leftwood
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

A diathus..?

Edit: I meant "dianthus", of course.

This message was edited May 30, 2008 6:09 PM

somewhere, PA

I found 3 more seedlings of the pulsatilla turczaninovii so I am donating
them to the chapter plant sale. I bet they get snapped up fast!

Rick - I'm in charge of our chapter sale too. We moved ours up to tomorrow
so folks could attend the national meeting. (We normally have it the 2nd Sat
of June). Though I did have a good year seed starting, there are many
incredible donors for our sale. I sure hope the turn out is good tomorrow - its supposed to rain so maybe not so good.

Todd - that's a beauty!

Tammy, feel free to download and copy my photos of turczaninovii. If you have an auction table as we do, maybe you can really get some mula for them!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Interesting foliage color on Epimedium grandiflorum 'Queen Esta':

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Primula polyneura:

somewhere, PA

Lovely!

I'm so excited - I got some really nice seedlings at the sale
yesterday. I have to take an accounting of my prizes and find
places for them.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Well, so what did you get?

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Rick, your mystery is Silene acaulis

somewhere, PA

P. Marginata
Sax. Paniculata
P. Scotia
Gentiana Acaulis
Various Draba
Various Androsace
Various Dianthus
Edrainthus Graminifolius
Townsendia
Eriogonum

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Since this thread is getting long, here is June's thread....http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/857028/

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Nice haul, Tammy!

Aack, yes, Silene acaulis...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.