rabbits

Lexington, MA(Zone 5b)

okay guys, how do I keep those rabbits from eating my lilies and other plants HELP
msmouser

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Blood meal works for me but if you or your neighbors have dogs they'll go digging so it won't work to keep your plants safe.

Fenton, MO(Zone 6b)

22 cal pellet gun works for me. Rabbits are allergic to lead (-;

Tomah, WI

When my grandchildren were little & would come across a dead rabbit in or near the yard, their response was always "lead poison". LOL Thanks to Grandpa.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Plantskydd, buy it, keep your plants intact.

(bestest fairy)Tempe, MI(Zone 5b)

what is a plantskydd?? I use bloodmeal or I chase them!!LOL

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

http://www.plantskydd.com/ Not widely available, but call your local nursery to see if they carry it.

The place acrss the street form my work carries it-I will have to try that too!! Thanks-how long does it last???

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

generally about 3 months if it has the proper drying time, but you do have to spray new growth and buds on occasion.

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

I use the same method as decfli! My DH even bought me a new one for this use!

I use that method also but the lttle buggers have too many places to hide!

Thanks!!

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

Have y'all ever used the granular Plantskydd? If so, what are your thoughts on it?

While I was away at the IA RU the (I can't express it on DG) rabbit finished off the martagon. Didn't eat any of it but rather bit it off and spit it out!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have lost some of my faith in Plantskydd...................this lily was sprayed from the moment I saw a nose peeking out of the soil!

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Sue, you need to give that rabbit some lead poisoning... I'm sorry about your Martagon.

If I could find it during the daytime it would be a goner!

Here is what they did to my Nashiki Willow-it was 3' tall and they did the same thing-most of the peices are laying in the rocks next to it:( If they start on all my beautiful lilies I have planted this year, I am gonna have to get me a rifle or something!!

Thumbnail by Fairy1004
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Fairy, the only good thing you have going there is that it was a willow. Give it a bit of water and some food and it will come flying back in no time. :) Martagons, well, that's another story.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Sad martagon story, llilyfan. Some squirrel was having a field day near two of mine. I'm still doing better than I used to in that back section, but it can still be frustrating. Nobody ate anything, it's as if it was lopped off one and the other bent.

It is getting to where I don't even want to walk around to the north side of the house because i'm afraid to see what has been destroyed during the night. Might have to go buy some chicken wire to save the rest of them.

Or a garden knome w/ a gun!!;)

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Quoting:
Might have to go buy some chicken wire to save the rest of them.

Get thee to Home Depot, woman! And make haste!

----------------------

I guess if I had a wife, there might be an objection, but I always have fences up through the end of June. I use the welded wire rabbit fencing - looks a lot less hill billy than chicken wire, and not so wimpy. Maybe that is why my rabbits don't ever try to dig under.

The only problem is time, distance, work, and the vet coming for my horse! Didn't mess with anything last night but look at what it did to this poor marty.........

Thumbnail by llilyfan
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

If I ate rabbit, I'd be having rabbit stew for supper. Or would it be Hassenpheffer instead... (I have no idea how to spell Hassenpheffer.) LOL

I think the dang thing is ticked off at me for the blood spray and is getting even! Notice that nothing is eaten just lopped off and spit on the ground, same way with the tulips. No deer tracks and the soil IS soft enough to leave prints and I have yet to find a slug big enough to nail a stem that thick in one clean bite!

I don't eat wild bunny either!

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

I wonder if the large amount of rain has anything to do with the effectiveness of Plantskydd. I know it is not supposed to, but we are well above on our rainfall this year. Last year I sprayed the once and everything was fine. But we have had much, much more rain and tulips I sprayed right away got eaten. I sprayed again and so far so good.

Did someone say wascally wabbit stew?? Ewwwww!

Northeast, IL(Zone 5b)

My garden beds are a forest of chicken wire, hardware 'cloth' (really 1/2 inch gauge coated wire mesh) and plastic mesh right now. Every time a lily pokes its head out of the ground, I rush to protect it.

Does anyone know how deep into the ground these anti-wabbit devices should extend to stop them from burrowing?

Magnolialover, they're eating your tulips? Good thing I don't have any! Between the lilies, phlox and tender young hosta shoots, I have my hands full trying to protect plants!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

You did pretty well, ticker ~ hassenpfeffer.

Sounds really tasty, if someone else would prepare it. :)

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

For that you have to talk to Yosemite Sam...

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Actually Ticker, wouldn't that be Elmer Fudd? Lol! ^_^

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Maybe, I do get my cartoon characters confused at times... :) I guess that's why they call them Loony Toons! LOL

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Loony Toons! Good one.

Don't think I'd et anytin' russled up by Yosemite Sam.
I'd wager it would have a hefty helping of spit.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Loony Tunes ~ interesting.... that's how DH identifies classical music pieces.

One down....................I hope it is the one that has been chomping the lilies.

What a great Mother's Day, northwest winds howling at about 24 mph and 40° with a cruddy mist.

Fox River Valley Are, WI(Zone 5a)

I whacked one in the front leg with my wrist-rocket. It kind of limped a few feet and then just sat there looking at me. If I could shoot a gun here they would be easy targets.

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I have two Dizzy which would be in their third year, that is if they hadn't been chomped off! One has two stems which didn't look very fat at the nose, one of those got chomped one night, then the next night the other single stemmed one got completely annihilated. I thad a very fat nose and I bet was very tasty! It's the first time I have had bunnies eat my lilies!

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Such a sad sight to come upon, so sorry about your Dizzy.

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Me too lilyfan! I just hoped it wouldn't come back after the first one was eaten off, should have known better shouln't I! Dizzy is a spectacular flower, gone for this year just like that, lol, the garden markers we all wait upon for that special show.

Yep, the wait and then the chomp that ends the wait for another year. Between the rabbits and the cold and constantly saturated soil I'm surprised anything is still alive this year.

Pangburn, AR(Zone 7b)

Moth balls help keep critters away from my plants.
Cathy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.