Hardy hibiscus - any success?

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I winter sowed EIGHT different varieties - but nothing so far . . . is there a secret?

Warren, OH(Zone 5b)

I winter sowed 2 varieties, plum and Confedarate Rose, and they both have come up. I didn't do anything special, I just put them in the coldframe that I used for some of the WS, watered it then let it go through the winter. They are about 2 inches tall now. This is zone 5, NE Ohio.
Kathy

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I have WSown some in the past, but not this year. I didn't do anything special, though.

Karen

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

I have a hardy burgundy Hibiscus and the red Tx star that have come up so far. They were pretty slow though.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Mine just broke the ground, much later than everything else.

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

Hardy Hibiscus that have been planted for awhile are also slow to come up in the spring so I guess the seedlings are just as slow.

Philipsburg, PA(Zone 5b)

I wintersowed hardy hibiscus in plastic milk jugs back in March - still nothing although everything else I sowed at the same time came up and is thriving. Should I give up or is there still a chance?

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

I say keep at it. Never WS'ed hibiscus moscheutos before, but I did plant some bare-root last month. They still haven't shown any above-ground growth, so it wouldn't surprise me if seeds of the species waited this long to germinate.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

The hardy hibiscus in my yard that is 5 years old is just now starting to peak out of the ground despite everything around it being much further along. I think they need warmer weather before they start to grow.

Philipsburg, PA(Zone 5b)

Well, it won't hurt me any to keep it around... I'll just put it next to the hose so I don't forget to check on it and water it once in a while!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I saw a couple peaking through the soil just before we left for BC

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.