My Oriole has returned!

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

I have my feeder up and he has been enjoying the grape jelly and orange nectar.
Here he is singing high up in the spruce tree. Thank goodness for my zoom camera.

Thumbnail by ladygardener1
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Pretty boy....soooo tell me about this grape jelly and orange nectar??

Chantell, You can buy oriole feeders, same principal as the hummer feeders but they have orange color at the base instead of red and the nectar nectar has an orange scent to it, just mix with water.
I rigged up a jar lid hanging from wire on a bent metal rod, I put a teaspoon or so of grape jelly in it.
Also you can start out with a half of an orange to see if you get any takers. That is what I did several years ago. I have been feeding them ever since.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh, lucky you!!! I've got an oriole feeder, but never had any luck. Maybe this will inspire me to try again. Thanks for posting, and please keep taking photos of them.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Hmmm...and I know just where I'm gonna put it ^_^

Wrightie, I'd love to take more pictures of him but they are a very shy bird until they get use to being fed and no one bothers them. One year the feeder ran out and he started hanging on the back screen door and making a fuss, I had to go to the store and buy oranges until I found more necter.

Chantell, have you heard any in your yard? I usually hear their call before I see them.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow, How lucky, we get them from time to time. I don't see them every year but they seem to like the Clump birch in the front yard and if I see them that's where. Usually its just one afternoon and then they are gone. I've tried the oranges off and on and one year I put up a feeder, as you said much like a hummer feeder but bigger and orange, but haven't much luck. Years ago 25 or more, I found a nest in the hedge row, back then we had a working farm next to us.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Not that I've seen...but that doesn't mean anything...LOL. I was out there digging holes for the Canna when I saw a little Chickadee sitting on the feeder just looking at me. Huh??? Checked the feeder...it was empty...duh!! LOL

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

Do you have any problem with yellow jackets going after your grape jelly or feeder water? I really want to put out my hummingbird feeder, but the yellow jackets come around and pester the hummers until they finally leave. I want to get a big mallet and smash the varmits. There's a big giant bee, about the size of my thumb, that chases off the yj's, but it can get pretty frenetic when they're all diving one another.

Never had problems with the yellow jackets at the feeders. I start having problems with them later on with the hot dry summer. I do put out a yellow jacket trap, one where the fly in for sweets and can't get back out. Maybe put one of those traps out to draw them away from the feeder.

I just got home and saw the oriole at the feeders, got a picture through my glass door with the zoom.
Here he is at the grape jelly.

Now at the feeder to wash the grape jelly down.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.