Papaya problems

Atawhai,Nelson, New Zealand(Zone 10a)

Hi there,

I planted a Papaya tree several months ago and noticed that the growth has been very limited. Each new shoot eventually turns yellow and drops off. Perhaps it is simply too cold here? Not enough humidity?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi Nelson --- I'm in zone 10a also but on the other end of the globe. one thing I know is they love water and fertilizer. I feed mine 10-10-10 and it is now starting to fruit. I grow mine in a half cedar barrel container and last week I removed the bottom leaves as they started to turn yellow a few weeks ago prior to the fruit forming and then as the fruit formed above it they really yellowed and fell off so now it is just the tiny fruit below the leaves.
What is your temperature and humidity? PH should be about 6-6.5 or so. What does your soil test out to be? As I said all they require are water and fertilization. Some of my friends use "Dynamite" fertilizer and that works also.

We generally only have high humidity here when it rains so other than that the air usually quite dry. As for temperature, we neither have hot summers or cold winters - we're sort of in the middle. I haven't had the soil tested yet as we have only recently moved to our current location. I have planted it in the ground but now I am thinking that perhaps I should have left it in a pot.

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

If you have it in the ground then put down some fertilizer in the top two-four inches, mulch and water heavily if you have a low humidity. Probably a little lime in the area wouldn't hurt.

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try.

Mike

mulege, Mexico

Be sure it has good drainage. They don't like wet feet.

katiebear

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.