Propagating Pohutakawa

Pinetown (Durban), South Africa

Anyone have any advice on propagating Pautakawa trees from seed?
These are native to New Zealand.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Do you mean Metrosideros excelsa, which has the common name Pohutukawa? Sorry I don't have any seed starting tips, just figured it might help to clarify what plant you're talking about so that someone else may be able to help. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2243/

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Sorry--just realized you had the common name spelled correctly in the title of your thread just not in the post itself so I'm sure that is the plant you mean. But I'm sure it'll help someone to have the Latin name, here in the US we more frequently call this one New Zealand Christmas tree.

Pinetown (Durban), South Africa

Thanks for your comments, yes it is the New Zealand Christmas tree.
We live in South Africa in a semi-tropical region on the east coast and I think it should do well here.

I have some seeds but not sure if they need any special treatment or do I "plonk" them into the ground, water and wait?!!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I was hoping someone who actually knew something about these might come along and help you, but since nobody has I'll take my best shot! When I have seeds from tropical-ish plants that came without instructions, I usually soak them overnight and use a heat mat to help them germinate faster. You might try that with a few of them but save a few in case you don't have any luck with that approach. The other place you might look is Silverhill Seeds catalog--they most likely sell it but I can't remember if their catalog has seed starting instructions in it or not.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.