What are you using for your last frost date?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Greetings Wise Ones!

Thirty years ago, I used my little sister's birthday, May, 11 as my last frost date. It was easy to remember, and a day or two before the recommended date. I felt like I was gettign a jump on the summer annuals.

It was always on target here in Baltimore.

Now that seems a little late. Okay, maybe a lot late.

What is everyone planning for a last frost date where you live?

Blessings on your garden,
Elf

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I generally look at 15 April as the last frost date inside the beltway.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Me too, but I start putting out some potted plants as early as late March/early April, and then watch the forecast. Usually I can get away with it -- but if the temperatures threaten to drop, I run everything in or cover with a blanket.

Lynchburg, VA

Mother's Day is supposed to be tomato planting day around here. I learned of the local tradition of giving moms tomato plants to plant that day...this year I grew a few extra seedlings to return the gifts I received last year...

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I do, too, Happy. I'll keep one eye on the forecast and the other on my annuals as I stick them in the ground before the last frost date. I haven't lost anything yet (knocking on wood).

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Last year I read somewhere it was May 15th here, this year I found a chart that said April 15th. So I went in between and planted outdoors this past weekend.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.