most unique garden theme

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I came up with an idea for a new garden. I want to create a United States garden. They have plants(I've come to find) that have names of the states. For example Daylily "Alaska Kid" or hybrid tea rose "Oklahoma", some plants would be annuals, evergreens, shrubs etc.
Does that sound like a cool idea or what???
Anyone else have a unique garden?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I don't but my old neighbor planted a garden for her children that had plants with animal names
Hens and chickens
cocks comb
monkey grass
tiger lily
etc.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

That's a great idea to do with my kids, I love it.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I don't have any themes, I do own the right to the 'Addams Family' themed garden though for when I start one.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

They're creepy & kooky????

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Yes - black or dead looking or cut off the flowers and leave the foliage only - you get the idea.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

HEE HEE!!!

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

I have a "name garden" with plants named after my kids, Elizabeth and Caroline...
I think an "United States" garden is a terrific idea. I wish I had more space, I'd like to do something of the same. Make sure that you put big labels on the plants so it's obvious what the theme is!!!
Deb

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Or create a boxwood shape of the US.....well, maybe that's going too far.

Perth,, ON(Zone 5a)

animal themed, don't forget the 'lamb's ears'..... one of my garden favourite...

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

...or Elephant Ears!

I love the idea of the U.S.A. garden!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I also had an idea from LadyCLeo(whatever happened to her???) she was another Jersey girl.
She gave me the idea to do a rainbow garden. I figured I can plant 1 plant for each season in the colors of ROY G BIV.
I thought that would look pretty.

I love that ROY B GIV idea!

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

I know of a lady that was planting an XXX rated hosta garden. She added hostas with names like "Hanky Panky", "Silk Sheets" and "Stilletto" and others of the sort.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Don't forget Strip Tease

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Yup, that one too!

My 'Strip Tease' is limited to the garden now.

Marietta, NY(Zone 5a)

My grandmother's neighbor had a "sweetheart" garden. Love-lies-bleeding, kiss me over the garden gate, forget-me-nots, bleeding hearts, Love-in-a-puff, sweet peas, tete a tete dafs,etc. It was really neat and quite diverse. Someday, I'd like to re-create it.

I do have an Obelisk garden that's my Blue Moon garden with many plants by that name. We were married under one so it's fitting.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Hey, fragrance1st, I noticed it's your birthday today. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Happy Birthday fragrance1st and welcome to the N.E. Forum!!!!
For your Birthday flower it would only be right to include something for a sweet heart garden, so here is 'Love-in-the-Mist'.

Thumbnail by pixie62560
Marietta, NY(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the birthday wishes and the welcome. ( As you probably guess, I'm usually in the fragrant forum.) I just discovered this forum and thought I would check it out. Interesting conversations over here.

Pixie, I do remember that one from the sweetheart garden, as she had that too. Nice picture, by the way.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Welcome fragrance and Happy Birthday!

Happy birthday, fragrance and welcome to the NE forum. Glad to have you here.

Marietta, NY(Zone 5a)

Thank you, Victor. It's nice to be over here.

Love lies bleeding belongs in the man-themed garden.

Lorena Bobbit's garden? Or maybe OJ Simpson's?

Jerry Garcia garden - all deadheads.

Marietta, NY(Zone 5a)

What about bleeding hearts and forget me nots? Would you consider that in a man-themed garden?

Thank you for the welcome, Pirl.

Yes - anything with bleeding or loss of self...

Marietta, NY(Zone 5a)

Victor, you're too funny....

^_^

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ha too funny!
Welcome Fragrance and Happy b-day!

Marietta, NY(Zone 5a)

Thank you!

Upper Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5a)

Welcome fragrance and Happy Birthday. Another DGer from central N.Y. - yea!!! I live in Glens Falls now but I grew up in Camillus and still have many family in the area. Glad to have you with us. I get more excited when I meet people from the Syracuse area than I do when i come across someone from the Adirondack region!! Eleanor

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

Eleanor, I grew up in Durhamville, went to high school in Oneida.
Hi fragrance!

Marietta, NY(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone. I'm looking forward to lots of advice on how to get plants to survive up here. I'm a "transplant" from PA.

Are you experiencing transplant shock?? Beautiful area. I love the finger lakes.

Marietta, NY(Zone 5a)

I moved up here 14 years ago, still can't get used to the lack of sun. (But I have learned to absolutly despise blackflies. LOL ) Killed a lot of plants so far to old man winter, iris borer, rose slugs, and critters since I moved up here. Pretty area though and my neighbors are great.

Sorry to hear about your problems. I'm sure people from your area will help. Good luck!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.