Considering Getting Chickens - Have Questions

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

Thanks, catscan. You refreshed my memory with the newspaper issue; I couldn't remember why it wasn't recommended.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

loving your chicken tractor!

it does depend on when he last "covered" each hen, but that hens eggs will continue to remain fertile up to 30 days since then... if you want babies from that, then get an incubator, since they are cross breeds, you may not get a broody hen... btw, what breed was the roo?

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

Thanks, TF. Sliver Laced Wyandotte hen & a Sultan rooster. The pullets have a few leg feathers and some weird head feathers, too! I read that Sultan hens are good layers, even though they aren't usually used for production. Ours laid two eggs just before we picked them up and two after we got them home. The eggs are small, but it should work out for us.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

so the roo the pullets are with were the Sultan?

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

Yes

Lodi, United States

So if the pullets hatched out eggs right now the chicks would be Wyandotte/Sultan (the pullet) crossed with Sultan (the father)?

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

Yes...unless they crossed with a Sultydotte (my name for them ☺) roo I didn't think to ask her that. Do you think it's a good idea? I wasn't thinking about a greater Sultan influence in the possible hatches.

Another question:

Should I paint the inside of the chicken house, or would it be healthier to leave it bare plywood?

Lodi, United States

I don't think it is a bad idea--just expect to see a more Sultan-type chick. They are suppose to be really sweet birds. I don't think you need to paint the inside of the chicken house. The chickens won't care and it can be hard to keep up on painting--there was a good article in Mother Earth News a couple months back about how paint--far from preserving wood, can actually increase its degradation through holding moisture. I didn't know that:0).

Dallas, TX

In addition to their sand baths add some diatomaceous (sp?) earth. It helps kill the parasites as tehy roll around in it. If your state doesnt recognize it as an agricultural product (texas doesn't) look in the pool cleaning section of your local box store. You'll probably have to buy a huge box of it but its the same stuff thats sold elsewhere agriculturally and isn't very expensive.
I don't think it matters rather or not you paint the inside of your house. The wood might last longer painted is the only thing I can think of. But sanitation wise the only really important thing is to make sure the poop dries out and does not stay wet. Most people do this by keeping shavings on the bottom of their houses and nests. There are two differnt methods for the litter. You can clean it weekly (esp if you have alot of chickens) or yearly in whats called the deep litter method. Good for fewer chickens. Just add new shavings on top of the old ones. The idea is to make sure the poop dries well and is not alwys in contact with the chickens. They can get lots of diseases otherwise.
Also, if you don't want your chickens pooping in their laying boxes, provide them a perch in the coop. They like to sleep up high on perches and that keeps your eggs cleaner. (A little poop doesn't bother me too much but it seems more sanitary and they just like the perches better.)

PICTURE: americana named Doodle and a barred rock named Stella. They are 7 weeks old.
They are addictive, just like catscan said!

Thumbnail by meg_e
Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

Just popping in to check for answers. I'll be back later tonight with more photos of the chicken tractor. Thanks for all the help!!! ☺

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

More photos of the almost finished chicken tractor...

Thumbnail by jasmerr
Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

This is the back and will have two barn-style doors...

Thumbnail by jasmerr
Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

jasmerr how many chickens do you figure it will hold comfortably?

MollyD

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

This is the side with the door going into the yard area...

Thumbnail by jasmerr
Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

A photo of the chickens...

Thumbnail by jasmerr
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

LOL, they look like Wyandootes with a bad hairstylist!!! I LOVE IT! [hope you're not offended...]

hope it's OK, i am saving your photos under my chickhomes folders. i think it is a great design, and DH just bought a welder...

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

The house is 3'x6'; I read somewhere 2-5 sq. feet per chicken (that's a big difference! ☺) This house is 18 sq. ft, so I'm thinking six chickens at the most. We have four chickens now.

Does anyone have better info as to how big a house should be for chickens.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

I haven't a clue! My chicks will be arriving sometime next week and I still have to build their permanent home which is why I asked. I've got 25 (that I know of) coming plus the pair of geese.

MollyD

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

the square foot varies by size and temperament and breeds [some ocnfine better than others], and how often you let them out, and ho much vertical space they have for playing and roosting...

if they stand around and sing in sort of a compalinging way, or start chsing or pecking each other, you will know they are too crowded... i would stick with those four for now, get to know them and see what kind of egg production you get. make sure they get healthy treats, and maybe let one or two out now and then, after being confined about 2-4 weeks. they will hang close to what they have learned is their "safe place", esp with two buddies still locked up...

me, i wouldn't put six chicen sin there. i have a chick brooder that is almost 18 sq ft, and i wouldn't put mor ethan two of my large fowl in there, and only for temporary confinement.

tf

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

we crossed, i hope i answered your question too Molly...

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

TF, not offended at all!!! Feel free to save the photos; I'll also send you the building instructions we had from the magazine.

You'll see ours turned out very similar, even though we re-designed as we went along to use the scrap materials we had at home. In the end, we bought three sheets of plywood, a 4'x50' roll of chicken wire, door latches, hinges, and nails etc. It cost a total of $80, but we didn't use one sheet of plywood or the 4'x50' roll of chicken (maybe we can return them - they cost approx. $30), so final cost was more like $50.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

DH just looked at the photos, and had a question about the "barn style doors". is it just two doors at the back for access? i told him i thought you were using little doors somewhere for collecting eggs... also i wondered if you are going to use it as a chicen tractor, where you move it around to let them range on grass, or scratch up bugs in the garden? you could easily add skids or wheels and a handle...

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

It will eventually have wheels. The second door (on left) isn't on yet in the photo; you can see it laying on the bottom of that section, and that side will have a trap door with a ramp leading to the ground. The nesting boxes will be inside the door on the right; there is no divider in the house. I hope that makes sense - I'll post a finished photo as soon as I can.

Jody

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

i wonder why the instructions say no roost inside. they will want to roost somewhere, just their nature...

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

I didn't read the instructions very carefully, and didn't notice that. We're putting one in ours.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

good ;-) they will love you for it... and you are gonna love having chickens!

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Thanks tf you did!

MollyD

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

Did someone tell me I can put ash from the wood stove in with the chickens to help them keep from getting mites, or some other thing?

Luther, MI(Zone 4b)

Yes, you can. I have heard that it helps. They like to dust in it.

GG

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.