Lets see what you have in bloom right now. part 7

Ewing, VA

Santos..Looking so cute with those variegated bulblets around it.

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

Striped Panther

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

Oh...I just got to share this.

Lemon Lime a few weeks ago, after being exposed to cooler temps (low 40s), brought out this orange shading in it. From the above pic of May 8, to this...

Thumbnail by mariava7
Link, Sweden(Zone 5b)

Hi my Lemon & Lime last atumn, turn out orange too, we had cooler nights below 50 degree F.
I think it is beauty, my Lemon & Lime have buds now, I try to post a picture in right now warm climate about +86 degree F. To show the differents
~Sylvia

Thumbnail by hobbyodlaren
Ewing, VA

Monaco putting up another scape with bigger and lovelier blooms.

Thumbnail by mariava7
Link, Sweden(Zone 5b)

This i bloom right now, Hippestrum 'Veneto'
~Sylvia

Link, Sweden(Zone 5b)

This one flower too. Hippeastrum 'Sydney'

Ewing, VA

Hi Sylvia! This is the first time I'd seen my Lemon Lime doing this. It was very pretty indeed. Even the back of the petals had some orange shadings...

I will have blooms and pics to share all the way till fall. Woul you all be interested in a Part 5 of this thread? I am still on dial-up and it is taking me foreeevvverrr to post...lol!

Thumbnail by mariava7
Link, Sweden(Zone 5b)

And Hippeastrum 'Baby Star'
enjoy
~Sylvia

Ewing, VA

Hi Sylvia! This is the first time I'd seen my Lemon Lime doing this. It was very pretty indeed. Even the back of the petals had some orange shadings...

I will have blooms and pics to share all the way till fall. Would you all be interested in a Part 8 of this thread? I am still on dial-up and it is taking me foreeevvverrr to post...lol!

Thumbnail by mariava7
Link, Sweden(Zone 5b)

Hi Maria, itīs the first time for me to, but earlier I always have my hippeastrums inside and the never been expose to lower temperaturs like Lemon-Lime before, but now I have them on my porsch, with lower temperaturs in the nights, it was a nice surprice with the colourchange.
~Sylvia

Ewing, VA

OMG...Another 'Ooopsie'...sorry. Time to go to bed here...

Ewing, VA

It's been a while...

So much has bloomed since my last post and still a lot blooming...

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

One of the advantages of getting to put your ammies in winter dormancy I guess. They get to rest, wake up and flower in their own time.

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

But then, as I stated in a recent email to me and in GW amaryllis forum, the importance of the "after flower care" is what will give you flowers, flowers and more flowers...

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/amaryllishippeastrum/msg0312205621834.html?8

Aphrodite awakes...

Thumbnail by mariava7
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Maria, its nice to see your Amaryllis still in bloom long after all mine are finished. I just got done unpotting all my 2008 Amaryllis, and planting them into their final home outside. We had a very dry April and May which was good for the Amaryllis. The only 2008 ones that never bloomed were the Estella and Amputo.

Ewing, VA

Hi Bsharf! July is my scheduled repotting (next size pot)time here. The newly purchased bulbs of this season are currently being put under stress....AWAY from the collection. This would bring out the virus infected ones which would have that discoloration in their leaves. It's kinda like "spring cleaning"...lol! If they don't show up any signs of virus, then they can join "the family".

Unfortunately, my very first purchase from a bulb company here in US has produced a LOT of virus infected bulbs mostly from South America. TERRIBLE!!! So keep a watchful eye....

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

mariava, mine are all planted outside and I don't fertilize but do topdress. Is is too late to fertilize now? also, do you use all three ferts. at the same time or alternate your potions?

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

I just made my first order for the next season, from Royal Colors. I used the credit for the 2 mislabeled bulbs from last season. I hope that they are able to ship all the new South African varieties that I ordered. I also ordered the 3 new Dutch Standards that they are listing. I'm am disappointed that they don't list Melusine this year. I'm sure that they will list a lot more minatures and specials as the summer progresses. FYI, the RC internet order form, doesn't have a place to note the credit. You need to make the order, pay for it, then email RC with the additional bulbs, that you are taking with the credit from last season. They will add it to your order as "free" bulbs.

Ewing, VA

Vossner...It's never too late to fertilize them as long as they are actively growing. I honestly believe that putting them in the ground is the best for them. Unfortunately I cannot do so here in my zone.

I have been using a 20-20-20 Schultz (1/2 dosage)every time I water them if possible. Sometimes I mix in some fish emulsion. Sometimes I give them a dose of bloom booster (Schultz orchid food). I do topdress them with organic fertilizer at least 2 times during spring/summer whenever I have time. I have a very limited time of 6-8 months to "fatten" them up before they are put to sleep in November.

Raydio has had good results with Miracle Gro. I might give them a few doses of this this season.

A lot of nice healthy leaves and big bulbs is a sure sign for me that they will be coming back next season with lots of blooms. These are some of the bulbs in 8" pots last season before they were put to rest. They would have been bigger with more leaves and bulblets if they were on the ground.

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

Bsharf...Don't you love the new varieties that RC is offering? Yummy!!! There will be more to come as their offerrings are still not final.

I did put in my yearly order of SA varieties with Van Engelen. Since I started giving them to friends and relatives as holiday gifts, it has become like a tradition...lol! They even request for a certain color or variety.

I order from RC right from the start of their shipping season till May. I have had LOTS of credit from them since the US Customs have become stricter and the shipments would arrive with "bloom in the bag" bulbs. All of those credits have been taken care of one way or the other may it be this season or the coming season. Two seasons ago, I made my very first order from RC. Just 3 or 4 bulbs just enough to reach the amount required for free shipping. Hercules had some red markings in it's dried scale (bulb was firm). I emailed and sent a pic to RC inquiring if this was alright. I was not even complaining. They explained to me about the red markings as bruises from machine cleaning of the bulbs and that it was ok. Early next season came a box from RC with a nice Hercules bulb.

The above mentioned Hercules with red markings in bloom today giving out 2 scapes with 10 flowers total as it wakes up this season....

Thumbnail by mariava7
Link, Sweden(Zone 5b)

Oh I just love that color Maria, dark pink, was it Hippeastrum Hercules, itīs remind me of my lost H. Donau.
I cant find any darkpink flowering Hippeastrum here in Sweden, sad.

This three kind have flower last month, it is my own cross 'Anna Sylvia', Lemon & Lime and Yellow Goddes.

~Sylvia

Ewing, VA

Hi Sylvia! I adore this color too. Unfortunately there is not much available variety that has this shade of pink. If I rember right, I only have Hercules(large flowering/large plant), Donau, Milady(newly acquired this year and seems to be a medium sized one) and Vanessa (mislabeled Venetto that I have renamed, trumpetlike sonatini). Oh and there is Honeymoon(medium size) that is a litlle bit darker pink. There is another variety, I just can't remember now...getting old here! LOL!

Anna Sylvia is pretty. Congratulations! Hopefully someday, I will get to see the flowers of some of my crosses too.

I acquired my Hercules and Donau bulbs from Royal Colors. You might want contact them about it. My last shipment of Donaus (6 bulbs) arrived to me with scapes already growing "bloomed in the bag" due to long transit and being held by US customs for too long. Once taken out from the bags and exposed to light, their scapes straighten out and still flowered alright. It is a very sturdy variety. I understand your need to replace your lost Donau. The Donaus are currently bearing seedpods of very interesting crosses.

The unplanted/recovering "bloomed in the bag" Donaus...

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

And what's blooming now...

Thumbnail by mariava7
Link, Sweden(Zone 5b)

Hi Maria
Thank for the source Royal Colors didīnt now about them. I have mailed them now, and got answer but they didīnt have any bulbs of Donau at all
:o) and they donīt sell now this time at year, but I shall talk to them more in october when they start there sellingseason again.
Do you know any more source for bulbs in europe?
Sylvia

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

i'm a little confused. what is the name of amaryllis mariava posted 7/5 at 2:04pm?

appleblossom is pink...pinkish. Not a favorite, but I am going to get a couple in order to enhance my pink area. As you said, mariava, not many pinks, unfortunately. Also love Milady.

Ewing, VA

The first one is Hercules. It deserves it's name for it is a huge plant with 7-8"flowers.

The second one is Donau. It could be considered as medium/small flowering for it's flowers are only like 4-5".

Honeymoon is prrrrrreeetty too!

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

The pictures in the catalogues and commercial websites do not do justice to it...at all!

Honeymoon up close...

Thumbnail by mariava7
Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Is this Minerva?

Thumbnail by boojum
Ewing, VA

That is Gilmar...a beautiful South American hybrid. A consistent performer that can bloom more than once every season. One of my favorites.

Thumbnail by mariava7
Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

That's wonderful news! You've made my day, Maria!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.