spring has sprung.........

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I have been working really hard the past 2 wks! The weather man says rain so i bust my butt to get stuff done and guess what NO rain has come! I still have tons to do around here!
these are my 2 helpers!
I have been potting so much stuff as it arrives-who ordered all these plants???

Thumbnail by notmartha
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

some of the lilies i got from Berts co-op
one has BUDs already!!!

Thumbnail by notmartha
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

phlox and peonies and others

Thumbnail by notmartha
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

hellebore,hosta and coral bells oh MY!

Thumbnail by notmartha
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

these were my eflowergarden hosta when they arrived

Thumbnail by notmartha
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

this is them now

Thumbnail by notmartha
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

this is the gang after i work them hard

Thumbnail by notmartha
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

the other half of the crew

Thumbnail by notmartha
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

this bloomed in the house this week-looky connie!!

Thumbnail by notmartha
Winston-Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

How cute! they look plum tuckered!!! A little southern expression.LOL

OH, i cant wait to get home and plant all my goodies!!!! And to come visit you and your amazing gardens. Will you be at the Western MI swap?

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

no I wont be making it to that swap as you can see-im to busy!!!

Thumbnail by notmartha
La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

OH WOW, look at that bloom :o) beautiful Dori

and look how innocent those little angels look ;-)

Hostas really look good, Bert will be sending mine out on the 29th :o)

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Dori, I love your little helpers. I could use some myself. I am tired just looking at all you have to plant. Yesterday hubby helped me plant those 50 tall phlox I got in the co-op. I think the roses from the co-op should be coming soon. I want to dig holes today for those dozen roses and the 20 trees I have coming.

If I order anything next year somebody shoot me. I don't like doing all this work. :) Glad hubby retired so I have help though.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

HOLY cow who shrunk my shorts!!?????????

its a beautiful day-warm n sunny! my farmers tan is coming along fine!! lol

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

what a good looking group!!!lol I wish I had some helpers when all that dirt for the back yard comes and the rest of my co op orders could I barrow them for say a day or two I promise I'll feed them you know the good stuff Ice Cream soda chips LOL
Gloria

Grand Blanc, MI

Your helpers are precious! And your plants look great too! What a gorgeous bloom. All your plants make the few pots I have look tiny! lol Isn't spring great?! :-) And farmers tans....gotta love 'em!

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

Dori,

Your helpers are beautiful...were do you find the time to do it all???
I think the same person who shrunk your shorts shrunk mine too...
Whats goin on here...LOL I guess there "predicting" rain for next week?!?!
I told my husband that I have to turn the sprinklers on today to water in
the fertilizer (way to early for that)...but I just needed to git er done while I had
the opportunity to do it!! Ok doppler 6,7 or 8000 it better rain next week...
Have a wonderful sunshiny day!

Delane

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh Dori,
Long have ooggled and AHHHed at those beautiful red heads in your family!!!
My favorite hair color...RED!!!
What beautiful children!!
No wonder i don't see you here as often..
ME too!!
See you Friday!!
Julie

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

yes they keep me very busy! Now that they are right next door, i dont seem to get a early start to my days. I hear grandma grandma and the next thing you know here they are!!!

Its never ending work in the spring here-i make time! I work very long days out in the gardens right now! come july i dont care what weeds are growing-im on vacation! lol

My first row of peas are up about 2in almost time to plant the 2nd row!
well im off!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Dori, those kids get more and more beautiful by the day!

I'm not saying anything about the plants. LOL

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Well I just came in for a bite to eat and have to get back out, I have been busy planting... Heres a pic of what I have done so far.

Thumbnail by pepsidrinker
La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

and this is what I have to do when I get done taking a break :o)

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

well project number 3 is done they put the new roof on and never touched one plant I think I scared them to bad before I left for work so now on to the last job the dirt for the back yard then I can realy play happy day LOL
Gloria

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi Everybody,

It's planting day here!! We're getting ready to leave to drive to Standish to pick up all the trees I ordered from the conservation department sale. I have 20 trees coming. Hubby bought a new toy to make planting easy. He got a post hole digger attachment for his big tractor. It's 12 inches in diameter and boy does it make easy work of digging holes through that tough old field grass. We dug 32 holes in about an hour. Twelve holes are for the dozen red Knockout roses I got in the co-op that should be getting mailed out soon I hope. The hard work is done. Now we just have to ammend the holes a bit with some compost & manuer mixed and stick them in, cover them up and mulch. I bought five Honeycrisp apple trees, five Zestar apple trees, five hazlenut trees, five crabapple trees and then the dozen roses. We've had rain so the ground is nice and wet. I love to plant in the rain. Makes for a less stress on the plants to get a nice natural water in from mother nature. We still have to put cages around the trees but for now I'll just spray them good with liquid fence. The deer seem more interested in my nice grass anyway. I have a whole bunch of them coming in at night to sleep in the fields.

Love the pics. Looks like tons of work. I have used landscape fabric before. Two years ago I wanted to put a narrow flower bed all across the front of the house on the ditch bank. Instead of using the landscape fabric, I used old shingles leftover from a long ago roof job I found in the barn. I put them down thick in between the catmint plants and then mulched heavily. Worked like a charm and NOTHING is going to come up through those shingles. :) They were easier to work with too than the landscape fabric. I have so much wind here by the lake. Those shingles lay down and stay down. I also used them in a very narrow area between my picket fence and my cement cottage block rasied flower bed. I can't get my fat but in there to weed and needed to stop the grass from growing under the fence so I dropped shingles in there and mulched over them. No more problems keeping that area clean. I would not use them around edible plants like in my veggie garden but around the flowers they're fine.

Gloria I am glad you got your roof done and they didn't damage any of your plants. I hope you get some good fill dirt for the back yard. Sometimes people put signs in front of their houses saying "Fill dirt wanted" and get some for free. Lots of contractors are looking to dump dirt from digging ponds etc.

Have a nice day everyone. I heard we're getting snow on Monday. Can you believe that?

Brenda

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

oh Brenda I know all about fill dirt BACK WHEN I WAS YOUNG I learned the hard way sounds like you and hubby had a good time today happy planting NO SNOW NO SNOW LOL
Gloria

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

We drove to Standish to pick up our trees. The sky just opened up and it POURED. I got 26 trees all together. We were watching the grandbaby and she helped plant about six of the apple trees then it became evident that she was just going to slow down the whole huge job. :) I brought her in the house and we played while hubby finished planting the rest of the trees. I still have the spruce trees to plant and the small hazelnut trees but we can do that tomorrow along with going back and mulching the trees. Tonight we went out to the garden and picked asparagus. Oh my goodnesss we have so much of it. This is our second picking and I bet we'll be picking every other day. I just got finsihed washing them all up and put them in a green bag in the refrigerator. We'll be having lots of asparagus for a while. Yum! We love the stuff. Last year I planted one year old transplants.....114 of them so this is their third year and they're doing great. They are the Jersey Giants.

Has anyone every used Plantskyd? I bought a box at the tree sale. It's pricey at twenty five bucks a box. We put some by each tree plus I sprayed them all with liquid fence. I hope the deer don't bother them. There are just too many to make fences for. I'll just have to keep them sprayed. We planted ten Zestar (I thought I only bought five), ten Honeycrisp apples, one cherry, five crabapple, five hazlenut, five blue spruce and I think that's it. I lose count. The deer ought to love us with so many apples. Hubby even got to spray the fruit trees. I'm so glad he retired. :)

Brenda

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

WOW Brenda you got asparagus all ready !!! I'm going to have to go out to my hideing spots in the ditch and field and see if its up yet I so LOVE that stuff I 'm going mushrooming next weekend can't wait
Gloria

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Notmartha----- I recieved my eflowers order and they arrived very beautifully. Not on leaf was bent they are labled very nicely, and the colors on the hostas are great!!! I will order from them again... I even forgot whay I ordered called them and he sent me an email... I really appreciated that... I left very good feedback for them. Will enjoy the new babies..... Ronna

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Here is what I have gotten done so far, plus a few thing I picked up from Lowes and from a coop :o)

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I love the purple fountain grass. I buy two each year. I just wish I could get it to overwinter here so I don't have to keep buying it. I love the clematis you got. They look very healthy. That was a great price too. You can't beat the big box stores prices on flowers if you can find what you want there. My daughter in law said the Sam's Club in Saginaw had beautiful trees for only $10. She said they had fruit and ornamental tress and they were full and leafed out already. I have planted enough trees for this year. :) I would like to buy an apricot tree one of these days.

Brenda

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

"Holy cow, who shrunk my shorts?!" Oh, cool! I'm stealing that phrase! Might adapt it a bit. "Holy Cow! Who shrunk my....underwear, jeans, tops, dresses, seatbelt...." Winter growth anyone? LOLOLOL!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh yes!!! Every year around this time I try things on from the previous.... I want to cry. Even thogh I walked the dog even on the coldest of days.?!?!>>> Well its off to the Salvation Army I guess. To find gardening clothes LOL.

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Well the project around the back patio is slowly coming along. Will be glad when its done, I will be working on it some today ^_^

I got the one side of my dh garage done. but the back of the garage I am going to have to take up the black paper and retill it. I didn't put any preen down in the fall and never got around to it this spring, so now I have a carpet of cleome seedlings EVERY where :(

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I love your yard. It looks like you're working on it very hard. I bet it will be beautiful when you're all done. I think we have the same patio set. I can see the fabric on the back side of that one chair. It looks just like mine from what I can see. I've had mine for years. Got it at Sears if I remember right. My old neighbor from downstate bought one the same day I did and we used to loan each other extra chairs when we'd have a party. Tables too. :) When I moved up here she even moved up too and lives two miles from me. She gave me the umbrella since mine long ago bit the dust. Her set is on her inside screened in porch now so she didn't need it.

Be sure to post pics of the finished product. I think we're going to have some great weather for working outside. Not too hot. Not too cold. Just right.

Brenda

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Brenda, Thanks, and mine came from Sears too. lol We got rid of the big table, my dad had a small round one that we use with it, it matches perfectly ^_^

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Hey Connie you sure are going at it!! i think we all are. It's that time. i just got my hoop house up and it is packed!! i hope to have my green house up next year!!
Whew can't wait!!
Your project is looking GOOD!!
Julie

Thumbnail by jazzzy704
Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

wow guys every thing looks good I just came in I got the lawn mowed and one bed edged just dosen't seem like theres ever enough time after work to get all the work done LOL ;0)
Gloria

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Connie, I love the little footstool benches that came with that set. I use my two all the time to sit down and work on something. I've had this set for years but it sure has held up well. I let my son have the big rectangle table and I bought a smaller round one. :) Great minds think alike I guess.

Julie, you sure do need a greenhouse. That is a lot of plants you have in that hoop house. Everything looks great.

Gloria, you are right. There never are enough hours to get it all done and as I get older the days seem to just get shorter. :)

Brenda

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Brenda I hear that I wish I had more time off in the spring and summer ohhhh weeelll some one has to do it :0(
Gloria

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh Brenda I just keep packing them in. But I have to get the beds cleaned so these plants can get to their permanent homes!! Now that is a harder job!!
Gloria you are way ahead of me girl!1 i have spent every moment on my hoop house plants or basement grow set up!! i have hundreds of plants in my basement!! i am feeling like this break in the weather the next few days is my chance to clean up with out dying in the heat!! oh!! i do hate the heat!
Well gotta go to bed so i can get up and go to work in the yard!
Hey Connie i have to d-mail you.
see You all,
Julie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.